“Possibly the worst hotel in London” 1 of 5 stars
Review of Apollo Hotel -- Bayswater

Save Saved
You added Apollo Hotel -- Bayswater to your Saves list
Apollo Hotel -- Bayswater
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   64 Queensborough Terrace | Bayswater, London W2 3SH, England (Bayswater / Notting Hill / Lancaster Gate )   |
Ranked #998 of 1,072 hotels in London
Krabi Town, Thailand
“Possibly the worst hotel in London”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 1, 2012

The rooms were dirty and rundown. The key didn't work. The doorknob broke just by turning it and the thieving owners charged ME! When I told them I'd never stay there again, they screamed obscenities at me. And not just the 2 males, the female at the front desk was an unholy terror. I wish now that I had just curled up under a tree and slept in Hyde Park. It would've been a better experience.

Room Tip: Go anywhere but here.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

419 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Polish first
Bolton, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2012

We stayed here when we went to the Queens Diamond Jubilee Concert last week. We were surprised to see how reasonable this place was when, lets face it, even Premier Lodge prices were through the roof! My husband and I stayed here for two nights and the price was very reasonable.
Our first impressions weren't great - when we tried to check in and the guy on reception was receiving a take away - we took second place. We tried to check in at 5pm and later learnt that the take away was this guys lunch. The room was clean and did a grand job - it was, afterall, a place to lay our heads. We didn't have a kettle and the tv didn't work but after a call to reception all was rectified with in five minutes. There wasnt any shower gel in the room so be warned and make sure to take some, luckily we did.
Breakfast was included - it was continental - croissants, bread rolls, toast on request. There was cereal and juice too. Coffee was good and strong. Nothing mind blowing, but for the price we paid it was satisfactory. Most of the clientelle were foreign, not a problem, just an observation.
The staff were very smily and recognised us (even though we stayed for a short time), had a bit of a giggle with us, gave a good atmosphere.
After reading the reviews on here we nearly cancelled - I am glad we didnt, this hotel was friendly and suited us for the trip we had. It is a short walk from lots of local shops, bars and restaurants - particularly Persian and Indian, we had an amazing Persian meal within a stones throw of the hotel.

If we consider what we paid for the two night stay we had here then I would say it was definitely value for money.
We chatted to the staff and asked them for anything that we needed that wasnt there - they sorted this out within a matter of minutes.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2012

I would not recommend this hotel to anybody, we were booked in for 6 nights, but after the first night we checked out.. The room was shabby, 1 coat hanger,a very old television, with a faulty remote, had to request towels& soap. The bathroom & shower could do with a good makeover. Very old & well worn beds,& covers. Dreadful room, I don't know how they can charge, what thy charge for it.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Coleraine, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012

Room was disgusting,no soap or plug in bathroom, towels smelt, everywhere was painted green, breakfast was terrible, T.V had 1 channel, kettle was dirty, the whole place was run down and dirty, This Hotel is beyond doubt a Hole how it can trade is beyond believe.

Room Tip: All rooms are bad
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Wien
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2012

but my travel agency made a mistake and it was the only hotel left on this "hotel boulevard" in Bayswater. So the position is really good, there are two different tube stations only a few minutes away. The hotel itself was a bit dirty and broken: The bathroom was kind of mouldy, the door didn't close right. The room is, typically for London, tiny, so the bed just exactly fits in. But hey, that's London!
Breakfast wasn't wonderful either, coffee was disgusting, the other stuff just yucky readymade stuff.
But after all, I have the say that the receptionist was really kind, he tried everything to make up for the miserable standard. When I was there, the hotel got renovated, hopefully it's better by now. But I really wouldn't come again, I'm sorry!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2012

its in the best location in london in my opinion. but in dire need of new management. the hotel across the street isnt far more expensive but its a proper hotel. this is just sad. very poor living condition. and the staffs are one of a kind

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2012 via mobile

This place is an absolute dive.
Firstly, they lied about the wi-fi. It clearly states on most travel websites that this hotel has free wifi, which, when I enquired, it did not.
The room size was also ridiculous, not to mention cramped. The lift is barely noticable, and from many other reviews I have read, most visitors could not even find it and resorted to dragging their luggage four floors up an incredibly narrow stairs. When we arrived, there was a large mattress blocking the door on the ground floor.
The room was freezing, as the radiator did not work, and neither did one of the electrical sockets.
However, I was forced to spend three nights freezing as I was quite honestly afraid to pull up a filthy blanket over me, so I slept wrapped in only a sheet and a jacket I had worn the previous day.
The bathroom was absolutely tiny, with cracked tiles and exposed wires. I point blank refused to walk on the carpet without shoes on, as it smelled damp and I suspected it was infested with lice.
Another review I have read stated that there were small bugs in the towels too, but I can't second this statement as I never received a towel.
The staff seemed completely unprofessional and when I asked about the free wifi (which is supposedly available throughout the hotel) I was brushed off and nonchalantly told that I would have to pay. I think it is absolutely ridiculous that a hotel would lie about its offers and it angered me greatly.
The hotel rooms were not sound proofed, in fact, there was a great deal of noise from both outside, next door and upstairs at all hours of the day and night.
I would describe my overall experience in this hotel as a hellish one and would discourage anyone from staying here unless their budget is so low they genuinely can't afford anywhere better. Trust me, anywhere is better than this.

• Stayed April 2012

Been to Apollo Hotel -- Bayswater? Share your experiences!