“Absolutely fine - and great value” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Thanet Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Thanet Hotel
You added Thanet Hotel to your Saves list
8 Bedford Place, London WC1B 5JA, England (Bloomsbury / Holborn)   |
Ranked #369 of 1,066 Hotels in London
Brighton, UK
“Absolutely fine - and great value”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

I needed a cheap hotel in central London for a work trip; and this fitted the bill.

The staff were very friendly on arrival and check out and the room spotlessly clean - posher hotels please note - hair in the shower and old sheets are not nice. The TV had a good selection, the reading light allowed me to read (again other hotel please note - bedside lamps that don't allow you to read are pointless) and overall I had a great night's sleep

Breakfast is included in the price and was again fine.

Yes, the hotel could do with a bit of an upgrade but it is clean, well run and in a nice quiet street so I would thoroughly recommend the Thanet - I'll certainly be back

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Texas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

I stayed here 2 nights in August. This was my third visit to this hotel, and the first time I had stayed in a single room The room was small, but okay for one person traveling light. It was clean and quiet, overlooking the back garden with a large window and a fan The bathroom was tiny but the shower was the smallest I have ever seen. I am not a big person and I barely fit. A heftier person than I would not have fit in the shower. The breakfast room is pretty, light and airy and the breakfasts are large and filling. The location can't be beat, near the British Museum and Bloomsbury Square, easy to get to from Heathrow on the underground. There are many restaurants, pubs, and grocery stores close by. I'll continue to stay here.

Room Tip: Double room is a better value.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
roma
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

I spent three nights here in August. Good points: very clean, comfortable bed, clean nice smelling towels every morning, great huge English breakfast with fry up, porridge, toast, marmalade, coffe, tea etc. I had a single room on the back at the first floor, nice window on the back garden and very quiet. The bathroom was extremely, extremely small, cabin-like, but new and well fitted with Grohe fixtures etc. The room was very small but comfortable: TV with many channels, a big mirror, a desk, a hair dryer and a portable fan all fitted in. I guess the double rooms might be much nicer. 90 pounds breakfast included is a lot for a single room but of course you pay for the location between Russell Square and Bloomsbury square; double rooms are a much better deal if you're travelling as a couple. You have your keys for getting in and out. There is no lift. The whole Bedford Place is full of hotels and B&B (as well as nearby Gower Street) but I doubt many are nicer than this one. All in all I would advise it and I may come back.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

I stayed in this hotel with my parents, it was the perfect choice for us! we took the tube from heathrow, it was fast cheap, the hotel is waking distance from tube station, British museum and covent garden, i really loved the area of the hotel good restaurants and lovely buildings around!
the room was perfect for the 3 of us, clean and comfy, the bathroom was small but clean.
the breakfast was GREAT, food was always fresh and hot, we really enjoyed everything,
this hotel have a very charming and cute vibe! next time that Im in London i will stay there for sure!
the price, service and location is unbeatable!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

This is my 3rd stay at the Thanet (I believe) and I just wanted to give an updated review from a year ago. I stayed with my 8 year old niece this time for the Olympics and the hotel is still an ideal option for the location, price, quality and service. The prices haven't changed since I was there a year ago and the quality and options for breakfast have remained the same (both are great). The staff hasn't changed, although, there was a new gentlemen that checked me in who was very friendly. And it still has that overall family style feel to it.

The metro is a quick walk through Russell Square park. And even with the Olympics going on (so a bit more car and foot traffic in the area) it was still a very quiet and safe area. Also, I never mentioned this before (forgot) but the hop on hop off tour bus stop is right at the end of the street. Within walking distance to the British Museum. Not a lot to eat in the area but enough options to not get bored. We grabbed Subway 1 afternoon and ate in the park. It was very relaxing to watch the kids and dogs play in the little water fountain area. Also, there is a Tesco right outside the metro station that stays open until a decent hour.

I've told myself that I really do need to stay at another hotel when in London just to get a new feel but at the same time this 1 is so accommodating that I don't know why I'd waste time researching a new hotel. Like the saying goes... "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."

If I had to give cons (to be fair and balanced) about this hotel the only things I could honestly think of are #1 the small shower, #2 no air conditioning #3 no lift (elevator): But in a small hotel like this (think Bed & Breakfast) a small shower is pretty standard. There is no air conditioning (that I'm aware of) but London gets so cool at night and they provide a fan in every room that it really isn't a big deal. And no lift BUT they carry your bags to your room for you and if you have a problem climbing a lot of stairs then request a room on the ground floor. I've stayed on all 3 floors now and there is a total of 56 steps to the top floor (according to my 8 year old niece who decided to count them, twice. LOL)

Room Tip: - Request a 1st floor or ground floor room if you have trouble climbing steps. - The rooms are smal...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
New England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at the Thanet in two stints while visiting London for the olympics. Very convenient location! Close the tube and national rail services. Good value hotel. Nice full breakfast. We stayed in triple rooms and found the barrooms to be clean and ample.

• Stayed July 2012
La Palma, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

We have been staying here every time we visit London over the last 13 years. Probably at least 7 times and we will be back. The owners are extreme helpful and accommodating and have a very professional staff managing the place when they aren't there. The location is ideal in that the British Museum is only a short walk away and the Holburn underground station isn't much farther away. Also a direct bus into Trafalgar Square is just around the corner. The only caution would be if you are a light sleeper. There can be a bit of street noise in the evening on the weekends. Not a problem for us but some might find it bothersome. If so ask for a back room.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Thanet Hotel? Share your experiences!