“Such an amazing hotel” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Rhodes Hotel

You added Rhodes Hotel to your Saves list
Rhodes Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   195 Sussex Gardens, London W2 2RJ, England (Bayswater / Notting Hill / Lancaster Gate )   |
Special Price
www.rhodeshotel.com
Ranked #315 of 1,066 Hotels in London
London, England, United Kingdom
“Such an amazing hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

I stayed in the hotel for 7 days. The staff are so friendly and helful. The manager Chris is such an amazing person with a great sense of humor. I really enjoyed my stay there and would definetly return back.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Torquay, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

We booked in to stay at the Rhodes from Sunday to Thursday and although the website looks good the actual hotel is somewhat different. There were refurbishment works going on and timbers, bathroom fittings littered the reception and hallways. The breakfast itself was very basic continental unless you wanted to pay an extra £6 for full english, Tea and Coffee was available together with a small selection of fruit, toast, cheese, ham and cereal. Having paid for what we thought was bed and breakfast we did not want to shell out another £50 for the 4 days for breakfast and feel that it would be better for the hotel to simply up their prices to allow for this.

The room itself was very small and the as mentioned by other reviewers the hotel in general is very dated and needing a lot of attention. We did have a major problem with our room in that when we came back from our first day out, the door to the room simply pushed open without the need for the key which I assume was because the cleaner did not shut it properly and may have been the cause of other reviewers issues as there is no security to the hotel and you could simply wander around and enter other rooms if they are left open. We advised the reception manager of this but were left without an apology or an explanation as to what they would do about it, an awkward pause was the extent of the reaction!

The owner Mr Crias was friendly with us but I guess as we did not really complain and just wanted to get on with our trip he was going to be amiable enough.

All in all a very good location for Hyde Park and Picadilly albeit very much overpriced and not somewhere I would want to stay again in a hurry.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Quito
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

My fiancée and I booked to stay for four nights at the Rhodes in a superior room: I guess it is superior to their other rooms, but it was barely adequate.. Breakfast was very poor, very limited choice, bread was straight out of the fridge and cold, and a piece of toast that we picked had mould on it. English breakfast was ok, but cost extra. On day two 750 GBP of electronics was stolen from our room. The hotel proprietors said "this has never happened before". However, I remembered that a reviewer had posted in December that some of their stuff was stolen and, when I mentioned this, the proprietress said "there are doubts about that" and told me they had told TripAdvisor to remove the comment (and indeed I see that it has gone now). If they tell TA to remove my review, I will keep re-posting it. There is no security at all at the hotel: the front door is permanently unlocked; whoever sits at reception has a computer screen in front of them so that they cannot see people coming in and out (the proprietors denied this, but if I cant see the receptionist how can he see me?); there are no cameras; there was no safe in the room; the proprietor said "they recommend" putting valuables in the safe at reception, and showed us a piece of paper saying guests "can" put stuff in this safe, but at no point did they advise us to do so. When we reported the theft the cleaning lady came upstairs and rifled through the drawers containing my fiancée's clothes (in front of my fiancée - incredible!) Despite the lack of security, it seems inconceivable that someone came in from the street, climbed four flights of stairs, and happened to go into our room. Throughout all of this the proprietors were INCREDIBLY rude, and their attitude was simply that the incident didnt happen, on the basis that they have been in the business for many years and are good judges of character (their words) - so a member of staff could not be the cuplrit - and, as stated, it is incredibly unlikely that someone came in from the street: hence we must be lying. Of course, the case will never be proven in court because (as the policeman who came to record the incident told us) the police do not have the resources to pursue petty crimes like this. We decided not to stay the last night, for which we had had to pay upon arrival (before seeing the room): the proprietress refused to refund us for the night we would not be staying because it was hotel policy; and, if they were to do so, it would be down to the "goodwill of the hotel", but that goodwill was not present "because you said you would post a bad review on TripAdvisor" (her exact words). I would strongly advise people NOT to stay at the Rhodes. The proprietors are the rudest I have ever encountered in any hotel in any country before (I am 50, I travel for work, and I have stayed in a lot of hotels!) I find all of the positive reviews about the place very suspicious, unless people have incredibly low standards. Then again the hotel tell simply TA to remove reviews they do not like, so maybe that explains it. We moved down the road to the Darlington, which was ultra-secure, had better rooms, had a great breakfast (all included in the price), and extremely polite and helpful staff - and was significantly cheaper!!

Room Tip: Go to a different hotel - honestly
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
ChrisRhodes, Owner at Rhodes Hotel, responded to this review, February 13, 2013
Dear Guest,

First of all thank you for choosing to stay at The Rhodes Hotel London. We are however altogether rather disappointed that from the very first line your review seems to be largely inaccurate.
Let us run through each and every one of your claims.
You booked directly through our own online website, the Deluxe Double, room number 227, and not the Superior Double, room number 216, as you state.
As you already know there are substantial differences between the two types of rooms. Our Deluxe Double is 19 square meters, has a queen size bed with 1700 pocket hypoallergenic mattress which is designed for boutique hotels, has a sofa, Jacuzzi bath, 32” LCD flat screen TV and dimmer lights whereas the Superior room is 15 square meters with a standard double bed with a balcony and a corner Jacuzzi bath. Each room has its own appeal and we thus market them separately as you well know, having originally cancelled the Superior room and then rebooked the Deluxe even though you say in your review that you had to pay “before seeing the room”. Needless to say both rooms can be viewed on our website via the photo gallery as well as a 3D virtual tour clearly marked in the sidebar.
We provide these photos and virtual tours for all our different rooms, shown clearly on our website, for transparency and clarity purposes. We aim to ease any customer concerns of any possible ambiguity of the room they are booking by allowing them to see exactly what it is they are booking. We have photos taken from all angles for each and every room of our hotel so potential customers know exactly what kind of room they will be getting if they do intend to stay with us.
Your comments about our breakfast I find to be equally misleading. We do not serve bread unless the customer requests it specifically which you did not, as for toast you did not mention nor report to our dining room staff at the time about any ‘mouldy’ toast you supposedly received. In fact I witnessed you my very self, having and enjoying your breakfast to the very last day of your stay. On the last day it was only yourself that had the English breakfast which is GBP 6.00 per person and even though you make a point of mentioning in your review that it “cost extra” you fail to mention that you did not in fact pay for any of these breakfasts that you and your fiancee had (GBP 30.00 in total). I also find it rather peculiar that for someone who makes a point of stating that the “English breakfast was ok, but cost extra” that they should then proceed to order this average, “ok” breakfast every day for the duration of their stay. It seems most odd to me that someone should so consistently want to pay extra for something they only deemed to be “ok” when being entirely optional. This suspension of care on your part seems to lie in direct contrast to your later assertion that our previous guests must “have incredibly low standards”. You seemed very happy to very willingly lower your supposed standards to repeatedly pay for just an “ok” breakfast, or rather actually in your case NOT pay.
For unknown reasons you chose not to mention the actual alleged stolen electronic items. I feel that it is paramount to list the alleged claimed lost/stolen electronic goods purely because they are traceable.
It was an iPod and an iPad according to your report. While we feel very sorry and find the matter altogether mysterious, we all found it even more strange when you did not want to use the well-known (find my iPad) application which not only our receptionist suggested at the time but also the Police officer as well the next morning.
You seem very happy to call into question the security of our hotel saying there are “no cameras” and the 24hour round the clock receptionists “cannot see people coming in and out”, yet you are also very quick to assert that “despite the lack of security, it seems inconceivable that someone came in from the street, climbed four flights of stairs, and happened to go into our room.” You thereby state that though you deem our security to be questionable you think it “inconceivable” that the theft occurred externally but rather internally thus calling into question our cleaning staff who have been in our employment for many years who we know and trust. Furthermore you had the gall to accuse my wife at the time of collaborating with our staff to commit these alleged thefts! Strange that after knocking the security of the hotel that you should be so quick not give any credence to the theft coming from an outside source but to be so adamant that it must be from the inside.
Let it be known only 3 days before you arrived for your stay with us and as is custom with all property left behind in our hotel: We found and posted an iPod back to Canada that had been left behind by a guest in one of our rooms. We will gladly volunteer the email exchange between us and the happy guest.
You mention you remember reading a review posted in December of stolen goods by another reviewer. I must thank you for disregarding any concern you had at the time and still booking your stay with us as this review obviously did not bother you enough to book elsewhere. A review that you also mention is no longer posted because apparently we told TripAdvisor to take it down. You make these bold statements having no real knowledge or understanding of the incident or situation you choose to comment on, preferring to make unsubstantiated accusations on a public forum under the cloak of anonymity. The nature of your defamatory remarks is illustrative of your character, you attack people and make judgements without knowing the full story. I’m not sure what kind of global company you think TripAdvisor is that a small hotel proprietor in London has the ability to simply say they don’t want something on their site and for them to simply just take it off. I don’t believe any website or company has the ability to grow into the largest most popular travel site in the world with such relaxed, unchecked barriers.
You also seem to doubt the credibility and competency of TripAdvisor and question the validity and judgement of our reviewers, as if to say we as a hotel somehow have control over what people write on TripAdvisor. These are all highly inflammatory and defamatory remarks that should be taken up with TripAdvisor themselves if you have such “suspicions”. Our business practises are and always have been completely clean, we have nothing to hide. Indeed I think our current 457 four-five* ratings, many from senior reviewers and contributors, compared to our 37 one-two* ratings, says far more about yourself than it does our establishment which has been running by the same owners for over 35 years during which time we have provided service to a whole host of domestic and international clientele from all walks of life, ranging from judges, diplomats, actors, teachers, lawyers, academics, doctors, magistrates, local councillors to name a few, our system over this lengthy period has proved overwhelmingly safe and sound.
When I pointed out to you the report from the SUNDAY TIMES dated 9th September 2012 titled Insurance Scammers target TripAdvisor, you totally ignored it, nor does it feature in your lengthy review. Having been witness to your original claim of theft there were discrepancies. Firstly your fiancee reported to the reception at 4:30pm that an iPad which had been left charging in the room and a camera had been taken from your draw, when we enquired on the make of the camera, she did not in fact know. Your following report made after you came back to our hotel later that afternoon to meet your fiancee, at 6:00pm, now claimed that the camera had been found but an iPod had now been lost along with the iPad. In a very aggressive manner you made threats over the telephone made from your room to my wife, claiming as mentioned earlier, her alleged compliance in the supposed theft, that you would put a very bad review on TripAdvisor in which you indeed failed, to secure the refund you had hoped for from us and as mentioned previously, after your aggressive behaviour you walked out of our establishment without paying for your (“extra cost”) English breakfasts (GBP 30.00).
As you indeed acknowledge yourself, you are 50 years of age and have travelled extensively around the world and for work, staying in many different establishments and yet you seem to completely disregard the Hotel Proprietors Act of 1954 which is also clearly displayed in front of our reception desk along with the registration form that you signed, advising you to leave valuables at reception and the information pack which is displayed in your room. You described this registration form in your review simply “as a piece of paper”. I would like to stress that this is an official form and a Home Office requirement and should be truthfully filled with the correct details like your address etc. As you know, nowadays with the very possible threat of terrorism we do take out an Insurance policy with Terrorism cover and therefore it is paramount that all guests provide an address that is traceable for their own safety, the other guests and the establishment. We do indeed take the security aspect very seriously and expect all our customers to be accurate, truthful and honest and comply fully with our policy, when filling in our registration forms.
Lastly you compare the room that you stayed in with us with the room you moved to afterward without providing any specifics other than saying that the other establishment “had better rooms, a great breakfast (included in the price)...and was significantly cheaper!!) I checked the website of the hotel you mentioned and found out that they do not have rooms with Jacuzzi baths like you had in yours, and their STANDARD double room, does not have close to the same facilities you had in our DELUXE room, with a smaller room, smaller bed, smaller TV and no air con which holds a tariff nearly three times the daily rate you paid to stay with us- GBP 248.00! We also have mono bloc mixers in all our sinks; I checked their suites to see separate taps for cold and hot water. In addition to that they only guarantee Wi-Fi in the common areas only. You paid GBP 88.00 for the first day and then GBP 108 for the next three days with us, you did not state how much you paid for your night with them but I am utterly bewildered that it should be as you claim “significantly cheaper!!” considering what I have ascertained from their website.
Dear guest, It does come very clearly to us that several of your assertions in your review about our place, are simply not true from your first line to the very last three words of your review. We would very much welcome an honest review with the pure stone cold facts stating the truth in line with the TripAdvisor guidelines.
It is indeed because of the open, anonymous, nature of the internet that the degree for distortion that comes about from the technological era we now live in that the Houses Of Parliament, House of Commons first, through the then Secretary of Justice Ken Clarke in June 2012 advised that the measures of the proposed defamation bill 2012 - 2013 would mean an end to “scurrilous rumour and allegation” being posted online without fear of adequate punishment.
Currently the defamation bill 2012 - 13 is at Committee stage in the House of Lords and the amendment 51b is a belt –and – brace or clarification measure. It is designed to ensure that the removal of defamatory material from a website should not prevent the claimant being able to bring an action in defamation.
Dear guest you, by not revealing your ID on your TripAdvisor profile and reporting anonymously, disguising yourself, are creating a vacuum of uncertainty about the truthfulness of your reporting and must be made accountable for your strong words.
Moscow
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

The combination of a central location very near to Paddington, prices that are simply affordable for pretty good rooms (if you cannot afford to dish out hundreds of pounds) and experienced staff who know exactly what they are doing and who totally try to accommodate your wishes is golden for London. Whenever I can, I stay here.

Room Tip: Discuss with the staff what room would be your best option. They will find it for you.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Horley, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

We entered the front door to find stacks of plasterboard in the hallway and to get to our room we had to squeeze past a mattress propped up against the wall (which was partly blocking the fire escape route). The room was clean and the bed was comfortable enough, although it seemed to be a small double rather than a full size one. The bathroom was newly tiled and fitted out, although it had the look of a DIY refit rather than a professional one. Overall an acceptable hotel for a cheap overnight stay, but I think you'd be unhappy if you were staying here for a holiday.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Kingston upon Thames, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013

We stayed at the Rhodes Hotel when we were stranded in London due to the snow. We chose it based on good reviews on here and it didn't disappoint. Our room was on the 4th floor but it was worth all those steps! Fantastic bathroom and very tidy room, very spacious (especially by London standards!). The owner and all the staff were helpful, friendly and fun. I am really glad I discovered this little gem and will definitely be back.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

stayed in this hotel Jan 2013 in a quad room.
While the room was compact, it was very clean, beds very comfortable, shower was fantastic if a little small.
would happily recommend and will definetly stay again.
breakfast was good.
LOCATION IS FAB, 5MINS FROM PADDINGTON TUBE STATION WITH PLENTY OF RESTAURANTS AND PUBS NEARBY FOR FOOD, 12MINS WALK TO OXFORD STREET AND 5MINS TO HYDE PARK.

DEIRDRE &FAMILY , CORK

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Been to Rhodes Hotel? Share your experiences!