“Good value functional accommodation” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Kenwood House Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Kenwood House Hotel
You added Kenwood House Hotel to your Saves list
114 Gloucester Place, London W1H 3DB, England (Marylebone)   |
Ranked #461 of 535 London B&B and Inns
Newcastle, United Kingdom
“Good value functional accommodation”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2011

If all you need is a place to sleep then this is a great location providing good value accommodation, just around the corner from Baker Street - a good local centre with restaurants, local shops and an underground
Its not the prettiest from the outside, and actually if they would just refresh the hanging baskets and clean the windows it would look fine in amidst the neighbouring mansion flats.
The rooms are basic - but the bed linen was fresh and clean and the bathrooms clean with showers. The bedrooms have wood type flooring and there aren't extras like tvs, tea and coffee making and don't offer breakfasts. Staff on reception were helpful. It suited our family holiday - three adults and four teenage children who were too busy sightseeing ! Communal areas could do with a new carpet and a few extras - but if they do that then the price would go up!

Stayed August 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
North Wales
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2011

This was not the best place i've ever stayed at.It uses the name ' hotel ' to describe it's self.However once i arrived i regretted booking a 2 night stay.But after saying that you pay about £60 a night for a double room,which i guess by London standards is fairly cheap !!
Our room was right at the top of the property,to carry your case on the narrow staircase in it's self was an achievement.The whole place could do with a good lick of paint and new carpets.We had a toilet and shower cubicle in our room which in fairness was clean and worked properly.The bed linen and towels were clean .Our top room was situated at the front of the property ,overlooking a bus stop.The bus service ended approximately midnight and restarted about 5-6 am-so be prepared for the noise !!!.The noise is made worse by the fact that the windows are of a poor standarrd an loose fitting.
I booked the ' Hotel' because it was cheap.....and that's exactly what i got in return.
I would probably NOT book here again all because it's fairly dirty.However it's location is good with Baker Street tube station some 5 minutes walk.
The way i eventualy looked at the situation was that i was only going to be at the location for 6-7 hours at the most per day ,so i made the best of a bad situation.
If you are looking for a nice ,clean ' Hotel ' i would say probably do not book here.But if you are on a 2 night budget London break and you dont mind ' roughing ' it for a couple on nights..then as a last resort book here.
My main gripe was the untidy look of the place and the dirty it's appearance.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
cambridge
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2011

Forget the July 2010. Had to put something in. I read the reviews, and though I do feel for you, I have to smile. I was Assistant Manager of the Kenwood House hotel, thankfully only for 3 or 4 months, way back in 1993 0r 4. From the pics that you have kindly posted, and the graphic descriptions added, clearly nothing whatsoever has changed since my time there! Yes its a great location, but really that is about all that can be said about the place. From what I can gather, this clearly still is not a "hotel" in the eyes of the general public - more like a halfway house! When I was there even though it was operating as a hotel, we had the government paying for those on the benefit to stay long term. Wonder if it's still the case? Looks like it. Oh well, there are hundreds of other hotels in the area. This, still, is a place to avoid!

Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
Starnberg, Germany
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2011

Possibly, one of the dirtiest and ugliest place I've been. The room was simply orrible, the sink in the room with stale hairs, bathroom was dirty, TV set ridiculous; beds were on wheels and the room's pavement was not even, so while you sleep you are slowly riding down, so that when you wake up after one hour you find yourself in the bottom of the room. I took some pictures but they don't really make justice. The door won't close eventually, so I had to block it with my luggage or I couldn't have slept thinking that anyone can come in. The window was also blocked open.
Have I mentioned I was on the fourth floor? (even if they described it as "third").
Generally I am not picky as long as I can sleep and shower it's fine, but really, the 65 quids I spent were not worth at all.

Room Tip: Just avoid it!
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Montreal, Canada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2011

The only good thing about this hostel is the location. Seriously, I went to a lot of different hostels around the world, and it's one of the worst, mainly because of the dirtyness of the room. I would not recommand this hostel, unless, like us, you are at the last second and you want something neer the center, and on a good underground line.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Gouda, The Netherlands
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2011

Except for the location what was great, almost in the center of London I was pleased my stay was for nothing longer then 1 night.

The carpet on the stairs was very dirty, I think it was not cleaned for decades.

The room:

The beds were ok, and sheets were clean.

The floor was dirty and underneath the beds there was a lot of dust and other weird stuff. Also there was a gap in the window.

We came back after a day through the city and wanted to take a shower, this was not possible because the shower was not working (no pressure on the cold and hot water).

During the night we were unable to sleep because of police cars and ambulances came through every one our or more.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
Amsterdam
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2010

Out of all hotels this was the worst I have ever seen. If your room is on the street side, forget about sleeping, the traffic noise is unbearable. There are water leakages in the rooms (I had two different rooms), towels and rubbish lying in the hallway for days, toilets stank worse than in Asia, radiators making a loud noise that you had to listen to for the few seconds that the heavy traffic was still for a few seconds at 5 am in the morning. No health and safety guidelines in case of a calamity. DO NOT visit this hotel.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business

Been to Kenwood House Hotel? Share your experiences!