“the worst hotel in the world full stop!!” 1 of 5 stars

and 1 more site!
Save Saved
You added Fairways Hotel to your Saves list
Fairways Hotel
1.0 of 5 Hotel   |   186 Sussex Gardens, London W2 1TU, England (Bayswater / Notting Hill / Lancaster Gate )   |
Ranked #821 of 1,063 Hotels in London
cardiff
“the worst hotel in the world full stop!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2011

horrible horrible horrible, smelly, rotten, dirty disgusting...yes it was cheap but pay an extra tenner and get something that does not resemble an underground toilet!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with OctopusTravel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Tolbert, the netherlands
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2011

Despite the nice smile of a very australian sounding lady at the desk: don't expect much more in this hotel but two beds. Defective lightbulbs, unsound looking electrical wiring, a chest for clothing just still standing upright, a non-connected television set from the 70s.
The free wifi in the lobby came as a pleasant surprise. The payphone in the hotel was out of service and no alternative was offered after my mobile crashed and I had to contact someone urgently. Is this value for money? Undoubtably not, but disturbingly compared to other adresses in London it might prove to be not bad at all.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Plymouth, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2011

Had read previous reviews expected the worst. Decor was dated, shared bathroom and toilet but these were clean enough. Clean sheets bed comfortable. Only stayed one night any longer it may not be suitable as is basic.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends

Jersey, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2011

this is the worst. I would not have put a dog in this room, cramped, not even a chair or a glass for your toothbrush. Take-it-or-leave it attitude from the reception in the hotel next door. The web-site says " No Frills ". You can say that again. I will be writing to the tourist board. This hotel needs a government health warning on its front door.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
1,094 reviews 1,094 reviews
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2011

Fairways is brilliantly located, just 5 minutes from Paddington Station. It is relatively close to Lords Cricket Ground (I was in London to see the cricket) and I could walk there in about 20 minutes. The area has plenty of nice cafés and restaurants and cosy spots to hang out. The Paddington Underground station links in with several lines, so it is easy to get to most of central London is a timely fashion.
I found the staff to be fairly indifferent - they were efficient enough, but on occasion they hardly noted my presence (they require you to drop off the room key when you go out, so I was in and out of reception every day). The room was kept clean enough, although it was showing its age. I was using a communal bathroom, which was not too bad, and despite it being next door to my room the noise from other using the bathroom was not too bad.
My problem with Fairways is simply the price they were charging for such a small room. In any other place in the world it would be laughable, but in central London apparently that's just the way it is - my room was about 3 metres x 2 metres, barely enough for a single bed, small coffee table and TV tucked in the corner. It was just irritating that I was spending so much and getting so little. And, my room overlooked a café at the rear of the hotel, so there were people talking and yelling in the café's courtyard until all hours, so sleep was a little hard to come by some nights.
Fairways charge far too much for what they are, but that is just a London thing. Given that there is no real alternative, I would stay and Fairways again and recommend them to others - they are average, no more and no less.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2010

The hotel was terrible... we booked a double room with en suite facilities, we arrived and our room was a TWIN room (beds opposite side of the room) with just a sink in one corner, the 'team' shower was down the corridor. When we went to the reception with our booking information, the staff were rude, obnoxious (French), and refused to give us our correct room without charging us even though it was later found that the price difference between the two rooms was ZERO! We had to pay otherwise we would have had nowhere to stay, and trust me we tried elsewhere. The manager, Mike Chris (a Richard Branson wannabe judging by his self-grooming), was unprofessional, rude, and even walked away from us when we asked what he could do do help us.

There were no lifts and they moved us to a room on the top floor with our suitcases and didn't even offer to help. Even when proved to have lied on their website and numerous complaints written we still haven't received our refund for the 'upgrade' that we are entitled to and the emails were going between us for months after. They have ignored me since August.

The hotel ruined what was an otherwise excellent 4 days in London and the only thing I would recommend is you stay AWAY from this hotel and its rude, unprofessional, obnoxious and arrogant staff. Please feel free to contact me about this hotel.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple

Swansea, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2010

Arrived at 8pm, the reception staff at the neighbouring hotel (which belonged to the same group) were polite, found my reservation and also showed me to the room. The moment I saw the room I was shocked. The bed sheet looked like it was 100 year old. The heater did not work and the bathroom was just next door. You could hear the person taking a shower at 11pm. Did not sleep all night as people opened the main door and you could hear every conversation and the foot steps from people climbing the stairs. The shower was horrible, no hot water. The only good thing about this place is the location but will never stay here again. I vacated the hotel at 8am although my train from paddington was only at 9.45.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business

Been to Fairways Hotel? Share your experiences!