“Exactly what you pay for...but fantastic location! Clean and Cheap” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Belgravia Rooms

Save Saved
You added Belgravia Rooms to your Saves list
Belgravia Rooms
104 Ebury Street, London SW1W 9QD, England   |
Ranked #278 of 531 London B&B and Inns
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“Exactly what you pay for...but fantastic location! Clean and Cheap”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

BOOKING:
I booked via last minute and for the money we got what we expected really.
The reviews were very poor for this hotel and we only paid £30 a night for a double. The website did say that it was a special price and was normally £70 per night but many say this to entice you. We did not expect much for £30. This is very very cheap for London especially seeing that it was so centrally based. Do not expect extravagance when paying so little for a hotel in London! This hotel is cheaper than many hostels. Put that into perspective.

LOCATION:
The location was perfect just minutes from Victoria Coach, Train and Tube stations. Close to Buckingham Palace and many more famous sites well within walking distance. The area of Victoria is also very beautiful and an expensive part of London, full of beautiful little patisseries and boutiques.

SERVICE:
We only saw the staff when we came to check in. The man at the desk was very polite and helpful and allowed us to check in 2 hours earlier than the usual check in time. This is because we asked nicely and there was a room available early enough. We did not need to check out, only to deposit our keys in the key box provided. Hassle free and easy!

ROOM:
We were in the building next door at No.102 and stayed in a double (Non Ensuite) room No.1.

First impression was that the room was very very tired looking. Lots of cracks on the ceiling that had been repainted over poorly. Lots of stains on curtains, lamp shade etc. There were stains on the net curtains. The sink had no plug and was stained. There were lots of chips in the paintwork. The decor & pictures were/was un-matching and old looking. The cupboard/wardrobe was adequate but very stained inside.
The view from the window was just of other buildings and the ceiling of a basement room. Unfortunately lots of cigarette butts everywhere which could have easily been cleaned up by staff.
The bottom draw of the bedside table was hanging off. There were no bedside lamps or a switch for the main light by the bed. If you like to read in bed or write your journals in the evenings then this was inconvenient. Also there was no power plugs at the bedside for charging phones, alarm clocks etc.

On a positive note:
There was a fully working flat screen tv with freeview above the fireplace.
There were fresh clean towels.
There was hand-wash in both the room and the bathroom.
There was a fully working kettle with tea, milk etc.
There was a heater in the room that heated up very quickly, this was good as it was cold winter weather when we stayed.

BED:
Bed linen was clean and the bed and pillows were very comfortable. The bed only had a white sheet, a blue throw and a wool blanket. The throw was stained but clean. It was not very warm so had to use the spare one that was stowed in the cupboard. I personally prefer duvets but that's just my choice.

BATHROOM:
The bathroom was shared but was clean and I never saw anyone else using it so there were no problems queuing or waiting for anyone else. The bathroom was also a bit tired looking and could do with a paint. It was also only up about 5 steps outside our bedroom door so not far to go at all.

OVERALL:
The problem is that the place looks run down and this makes it look dirty when it isn't. Most of the problems are purely cosmetic. The room was CLEAN and BASIC and reflected in the price you pay. This is an ideal place to stay if you are not worried about staying in the hotel all the time, if you are traveling with mates, students, back packing etc. I'm not the fussiest of people and at the age of 28 still stay in hostels rather than screwing my face up at the sheer idea of it. This is not the right hotel for a family or for a 'romantic' weekend. If you want cheap and clean then it is perfect. Be Warned: The room did not look anything like the rooms on the hotel's website. This is misleading.

Please remember at £30 a night this hotel is adequate as this is an extremely cheap price for London. I have stayed in hostels that are nicer but also in hotels for more money that are on par with this. I would stay here again when I am on a tight budget like I was this time but I would not stay here for any more than £35 a night.

Room Tip: The road that the hotel is situated on is nice and quiet so any room would be good. Our room looked...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Haddam, Connecticut
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2011

I booked a hotel called Collin House in a pinch, but received my reservation information from Belgravia Rooms. First confusion. When I realized I would need to cancel my reservation, I read that cancellations must be received within 2 days of stay to insure refund. Canceling a month in advance, must to my surprise, I was charged for a "deposit". Upon questioning, I was informed that I had not read the small print. Which small print was I supposed to read? Nothing to this effect was on the Collin House web site--only on the Belgravia Rooms reservation service--which I never intended to do business with in the first place! So, beware. Make sure you really want to stay here because they charge you even if your plans change weeks ahead of your intended stay.

Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011

Oh dear, where do I start?

Ensuite room - you call that an ensuite? A shower, toilet and basin all shoved into a 1mx1m broom closet. The hot water had no pressure and upon complaining the on duty manager told me some lie about a "blown fuse". We ended up having to use the downstairs bathroom as the state of the, ahem, "ensuite" was deplorable. When standing in the "shower", the pressure exerted on the floor would make the bottom of the toilet leak.

Beds - the sheets looked clean, but the pillows had this horrible smell to them. Upon inspecting the bedcover and blanket in the morning, we found lots of black curly hairs, which one could only assume were of the pubic variety. There were stains on the bed covers which I dont even want to know what they were.

All the times during the night when we had to go to reception with room issues, there always appeared to be another person in there complaining about something!

In the morning, when we checked out a day early, the only good thing was that the manager was not too fussed about giving us our money back for the second night and only charging us for a non-ensuite room for the previous night - obviously this happens all the time!

Dont believe the website, the photos are not accurate!!

it would seem that this "hotel" makes most of its money from people who only stay one night, and never return!!!

AVOID, AVOID, AVOID, AVOID!!!!!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2011

When I booked via booking.com I looked at the pictures, did my research and looked on google maps street view. For the location I wasn't expect miracles for such a reasonable price. For the two of us in a double bed apartment it was £109 per night, something I didn't think of as bad for London - (alot cheaper than expected). Upon arrival we found out our appartment was next door in 102 Ebury St. Lucky as so many i'd read previously had said they were further away. We were in room 3, it was warm we'd been travelling via train, and via tube (which was the first time ever!) even those 3 little sets of stairs killed me trying to drag up the luggage. At first we were cool with the room but when your living in it past the first 24hrs you notice things. There was a lacking in plug sockets just an extension lead under the bed. We had the apartment so expected it to be larger it was slightly claustrophic at times and the kitchenette didn't even have bowls or a toast. We ended up eating our cereal out of the little cups that needed washing before not very good as the main colour on them was washing off. The fridge was appalling, it was set on 6, its highest and wasn't even slightly cold. Needless to say we threw the fruit pots and the milk went off really quickly. The bed was good, it was comfortable and the sheets were clean. We actually took our own towels though so used theres as a hand towel in the bathroom and a kitchen towel for the kitchenette for drying pots. The in room bathroom/ensuite was pretty terrible. It felt like being in a caravan (shower cubicles, toilet and little sink with no room for movement), clean but the shower changed from freezing to mega hot without a touch of the handle. The walls were extremely thin, what you would expect in a building of that age but not helpful when your in bed and there are families, children, or drunk couples outside your door. Usually very early or very late on, we even got to listen to a 45 min arguement in the next room from a couple who were most definantly drunk. My main concern were the locks, it seems a little loose and when people were banging doors ours would shake to the point where i'd panic it would fly open so we actually put our cases up against the doors to keep ourselves at ease.

Room Tip: Its a bed for the night, but not somewhere you'd want to hang out in for long.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
devon
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011

when booking my friend told me to read all the reviews (wich i did) and was shocked at how bad they were but it was the only one available when we needed it so didnt have high expectations on arriving , we arrived on saturday morning and went in to reception we had booked 2 rooms each to sleep 5 people we were told we were booked in to stay in a house down the road ,we were escorted down the road to a 4 bed house 2 bathroom/wc and 1 toilet house , there was a single room a room wid a double bed a room wid a double bed and a bunk bed ,ther was a room with a sofa a double bed a single and a bunk bed all rooms were big and had tea and coffe making faccilites towels on each bed and a tv and some sort of dressing table .it was a clean and comfortable house the carpets were stained but with how many people must come and go that was no supprise the bedding was clean and beds comfortable would def go back again x

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Wickford, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2011

I had booked a double room only to be told I was given a twin. When I complained the receptionist rather rudely told me that I got what room I was given. He eventually relented and said he was putting me in a "big room". I was then charged a further £2 for paying by debit card with no satisfactory reason provided. The room was ok but far from special, had a double bed, two bunk beds, small table and 4 chairs and tv. The "ensuite" was minute - in a space the size of a wardrobe was a toilet and shower...

Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Leeds, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2011

AVOID at all costs! This is the worst place in the UK i have ever stayed in. When I first got to the desk with a friend with whom i was staying, we were told that despite booking rooms in the same building at least (there are seperate ones so beware!) that infact we wouldn't be. This one only the frist issue and in comparison to the rest, relatively minor. When I enter my room it has NO window and is smaller than a prison cell, despite me indicating AND PAYING fro a room with a window and non-smoking. Not only did this not have a window, it absolutley STUNK of smoke with no way to get air into the room. The bedding had cigarette burns on and hair in it. I then went to recption to complain about not being the type of room I had paid for and about the intoxicating smell of smoke, only to get told that under no uncertain terms would I get a refund and to lump it or leave it, I was APPALED! The man on the desk quite frankly was very rude and cleary couldn't do his job properly. I ended up having to sleep in the room with my friend, which was slightly better has it had a window and no aroma of smoke, yet was again filthy. The bathrooms were absolutley disguisting. There was a USED sanitary towel in the bin, It made me feel physically sick - there was mould around and showers. To top it all of, I ended up getting locked out upon going back to my room to collect my luggage because of the failed door mechanism. Also for a couple of days after staying here for JUST one ngiht, I felt ill - tired, shivery and fever like, gosh knows what I picked up from this hell hole. No redeeming features here. RUDE STAFF and VERY FILTHY. Even for the location it is not worth it.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business

Been to Belgravia Rooms? Share your experiences!