“The Goring has all of the elegance that was Edwardian London” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Goring

Save Saved
You added The Goring to your Saves list
The Goring
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Beeston Place, Grosvenor Gardens, London SW1W 0JW, England (Mayfair / St James's / Piccadilly / Green Park )   |
Special Rate
Advance Purchase Offer
Ranked #13 of 1,054 Hotels in London
Devon, Pennsylvania
“The Goring has all of the elegance that was Edwardian London”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2010

What a beautiful hotel.... wonderful staff.... perfect for families as they have a room category that includes adjoining rooms with private baths..... they gift the children a sweet little stuffed lamb and have a big one in the room during their stay....

the garden view is preferred.... but was unavailable on our stay..... but we were quite ecstatic with our stay....... and the rates are ecceedingly reasonable for the quality, location, and amentities... wonderful!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
kent
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2010

we booked The Goring based on the reviews on this website and were not disapponted. From the moment we walked up the front steps and were greeted with a huge smile and a very welcoming 'hello' from the doorman, every member of staff we encounterd were an absolute credit to the hotel. It is very upmarket but at no time did you feel intimidated by the splendour and grandness. We were in Room 90 which was on the 4th floor and it was a Kingsize facing the front of the hotel and it was beautiful and very quiet.The room was spotlessly clean. We had Dinner in the hotel restaurant and it was fantastic, the service was very efficient and friendly but not 'in your face' but when a glass was empty it was filled straight away and when a plate was finished it was removed as if by magic......If I was to make one critisism it would be that there are no Tea/coffee making facilities in the room and even though you can order Tea and it was brought straight away along with a lovely selection of biscuits, I, like I think many people want to wake up in the morning and have a Tea there & then and not wait for room service and I think fo a 5* Hotel this should be addressed. Also I found the bed very comfortable but the pillows VERY THIN. For this type of hotel lovely plump pillows should surely be standard. That said it was a truley wonderful experience which I would recommend to everyone and am looking forward to returning.....

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Whitley Bay
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2010

It is some time since I stayed in the Goring, but I benchmark every hotel I stay in against it and none come up to the level of service and accomodation I experienced.

The Goring is very well situated and has excellent and attentive staff. I would especially reccomend this hotel to American visitors for that authentic taste of England.

• Stayed September 2007, traveled on business
Pershore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2010

The Goring is a fine example of what an independent hotel can be. The building is spacious, pleasant and calm, the décor attractive, and the garden a bonus. Our room was comfortable and well-organized, with a spacious bathroom. The food is excellent (though some mention lumpy porridge and over-cooked kippers at breakfast: no-one is perfect). But what makes the hotel exceptional is the staff, the style, and the attention to detail, all of which reflect excellent management. It is clear that the staff are well-trained and encouraged to work together to ensure that everyone enjoy their stay. All were helpful, friendly and cheerful.
One example of the attention to detail is that each evening the corridor lights are dimmed so that they do not shine too brightly in guest bedrooms. The turn-down service is excellent, and opened toiletries refreshed. As for style: others may offer two night for the price of three, but in its centenary year, in May, the room rate for the third night was what it cost when the hotel opened: 37p, not including breakfast. The IT centre is a charming room – and it also has a number of children’s books to keep younger guests happy and quiet.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Newport Beach, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2010

The Goring sounded like the perfect hotel for us. We love traditional, old-line British hotels. However, for us, the Goring just was not up to snuff.

First, we had reservation issues upon check-in, which took quite a while to resolve. There was a lengthy failure to acknowledge, by the staff, that we had not been given the category of room which was shown on our reservation. This, despite a number of conversations on the matter! In addition, we did not receive a king sized bed, which was also what we had booked. I finally had to measure the bed to settle the matter. I would be very cautious in confirming that your reservation will be honored as written on your reservation confirmation. I have really not ever had to argue the point to the extent that I had to at the Goring.

In addition, our initial rooms were quite dowdy, and in need of a refurbishment. Not terrible, but small, and really almost depressing. We were finally moved, after MUCH discussion, and our new rooms were quite a bit better, but we were not paying the rack rate price on these, although the hotel had certainly tried to get me to pay for the upgrade....even though they had failed to give me the type of room and bed which we had reserved. I would say that the beds and quality of furnishing, even in our upgraded rooms, were not what you would expect in this price range, even in London. There was a very cheap looking desk in our room, and the beds were really quite soft, and not in a good way. Also, towels were worn looking in comparison to those at top London hotels.

I should also mention the elevator at the Goring. It was out at least a couple of times during our stay. I mean, inoperable for hours at a time. One guest was stuck in it for a substantial amount of time, and this did not seem like a new experience for staff. The main elevator at the Goring is not large, but it is adequate. The secondary elevator does not hold more than a couple of well-acquainted people. We ended up walking to our room most of the time, and we were located towards the top of the hotel. It didn't really bother me as I like to get a lot of exercise, but this might be an issue for some people.

Another aspect of the Goring that I did not like was it's apparent lack of a sprinkler system. I realize that it is an old hotel, but I would like to see this situation resolved, expecially in a hotel which has aspirations to being one of the top hotels in London.

I did not like the look of the lobby bar, and that suprised me as it looked quite charming on the website. The one thing which did not disappoint was the restaurant where we were fortunate enough to have breakfast every day. Nicely furnished and with large windows making it light and bright. Also, the food was quite good, and the servers were charming, and eager to please.

In fact, most of the hotel staff were quite pleasant, even when they were failing to honor the terms of my reservation (although there were one or two that I could suggest might have done their jobs better...). In general, I would say, that if you are paying anything close to rack rate at the Goring, you should look elsewhere. If you are getting a great deal, perhaps this is suitable for some people. Not for us, unfortunately. I was hoping this would be a great new place for us, and would give us another area of London to explore. After our experiences, however, I think we will go back to old favorites. I wish the best for the Goring, but I think there are many improvements that need to be made before it will tempt me again.

Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Fleming Island, FL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2010

The Goring is a privately owned hotel, and the uniqueness of that shows in everything. Great front desk, concierge and doorman...the long coat and striped trousers are a nice touch. The lounge and restaurant areas are great, with some very imaginative pieces, especially in the lighting fixtures. The decor of our room was sumptous as was the bathroom. Don't quite understand about the sheep everywhere, though! Cons..there was just too much furniture in the room so it felt cramped to us. Also, the bed was HARD! Obviously Britain has not yet caught on to the idea of comfy American beds. Overall, the hotel was great, the food was elegant, and it was a great start to our vacation.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Copenhagen, Denmark
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2010

Choose this hotel if you want great service and a location close to Victoria Station.
Rooms are real nice only missed the mini-bar.
Staff is extremely friendly and will do everything to feel you welcome.
Super nice bar and great restaurant, we had both dinner and breakfast and everything was of high standard.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family

Been to The Goring? Share your experiences!