“The ONLY place to stay in London” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Goring

You added The Goring to your Saves list
The Goring
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Beeston Place, Grosvenor Gardens, London SW1W 0JW, England (Mayfair / St James's / Piccadilly / Green Park )   |
Special Rate
Advance Purchase Offer
Ranked #6 of 1,065 Hotels in London
Philadelphia
“The ONLY place to stay in London”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2008

Great hotel on a quiet side street in the heart of London. I usually stay in Kensington but on this trip I was traveling with a friend who wanted to stay at the Goring. I had my partner and our 2 year old with us and was concerned that the hotel may be too stuffy. Not at all.
Their system really works - simple but rare. They look after their staff and in return get great staff loyalty. One of their concierges Paul has been there 25 years. Because their staff are well looked after and appreciated, they look after the customers really well.
We asked them to arrange babysitting services two nights. (You can walk to great restaurants and the Apollo theatre). This is always a worrying event! What amazed me was that the hotel staff knows the babysitters really well. They too have been working there for years. We will request the same babysitter on our next trip to London.
We ate in the restaurant twice at breakfast and once for dinner. We also had bar snacks, and used room service frequently. All the food was very good.
The hotel also organized theatre tickets, dinner reservations, transportation, package shipment to the US and flight tickets for us.
They have a relationship with LA Fitness for a gym and pool. The problem we had was that you had to be 18 to use the pool - so my 2 year old could not swim. St James park is a short walk up the road and there was a great little play area there. We also walked to Hyde Park and back - although that was probably over a mile each way.
The only trouble I got into was opening my laptop in the bar to show a colleague something - they want to promote a relaxing atmosphere - oops!
I will definitely be staying there next time I am in town. I didnt find the hotel any more expensive than other hotels that I have stayed in - in London. I tend to stay in 4 stars.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2008

The Goring far exceeded my expectations. The service,convenience,and charm of the hotel all rate a 10+ The hotel is only a block from Victoria Station and a short walk to Buckingham Palace. In fact,when I checked out the bellman wheeled my luggage directly down to my platform at the station!
The garden in the rear is delightful and the bar/lounge a most convivial spot. Will definitely go back.

• Liked — Convenient location
  • Disliked — Bar was closed for renovation
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 12, 2008

I had a business event at the Goring and was delighted by the service and accommodation. Firstly, I met with the Events Co-ordinator who stayed in touch with me throughout the planning and was there to meet me on arrival. Nothing is too much trouble and all of my delegates were equally impressed. Although there is some work going on at the moment the drilling was promptly ceased when I asked reception, as we could hear it in our meeting room. I am sure that the lounge area will be stunning when this work is completed. The hotel is immaculate and the rooms are beautiful. We did not dine in the restaurant but did have the fantastic breakfast the following morning, all of which is prepared to a very high standard. Thank you Goring for ensuring that we had a successful event!

Whether it be business or pleasure, the Goring will not disapoint.

• Liked — Huge bed - beautiful bathroom
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2008

We loved this hotel. We only found friendly and courteous staff from the moment we arrived to the moment we left. No request was to much.
We loved the location too. It's close enough to everything, and we found it very quiet.
We will definitely be returning on our next trip.

• Liked — The luxury of it all.
  • Disliked — Having to leave
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Newcastle upon Tyne
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2008

We first stayed here in 1996, as a prelude to travelling on the Orient Express from Victoria for our silver Wedding. It is ideally placed for Victoria and we were completely charmed by being greeted by name on arrival, by the spacious room and by the wonderfully courteous service. We have stayed here on another 5 occasions since (and used to be on their Christmas Card list). The room has never been as spacious or impressive as visit 1, although the cost remains high, but the charm of the staff is undiminished. We have never dined here but lunch and snacks are expensive. Breakfast (never included when we have stayed) is exemplary but very expensive. If we want to treat ourselves on a visit to London, we think of the Goring first. However, the small rooms we have had on the last couple of visits have dimmed our enthusiasm. I suspect that it is not too difficult to do better if looking for 5* accommodation in London in the 21st Century.

• Liked — Charm, servility
  • Disliked — Small rooms latterly
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled with family
Kingsgate, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2008

This was our twelve visit, and we just love the hotel. From the welcome on arrival through to our departure the staff are excellent.

The bar is wonderful for people watching and when we get the chance and are only in London for the day the terrace makes the perfect spot for meeting friends for a bite of lunch.

The Dirty Martini served in the bar before dinner was excellent and started the evening off well. The wine list is reasonable for a London property.

Dinner is excellent and the menu choice wonderful, the only negative comment would be a £20 supplement for smoked salmon as a starter on a menu that is already £47.50.

Breakfast next morning was wonderfully relaxing and provided the right start to the day.

Looking forward to the next visit

winchester
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2008

Stayed at the Goring for one night (Wednesday) last week and invited an old "friend" (read into that what you will) for supper.

The reception by the staff was about as good as it gets, the service is hard to improve on.

Every other customer was smartly dressed - I wasn't. That did not matter.

Another review suggests rooms are small - the Goring website gives you the size in square feet of each room (I just called them to confirm this is bedroom only. In my own case bathroom was about 60% more space) so why anyone would be surprised....

The terrace is one of the very few truly civilised places in central London you can sit outside, eat and smoke - hooray! The food was superb (except for slightly odd "pea shoots" in otherwise excellent goats cheese salad). Glazed lobster omelette for £15 was a conspicuous bargain, Champagne has a tendency to evaporate but this is I suspect not unique to this precise location.

And the garden it overlooks is unique (as far as I know) around there, unless you're royal. Wouldn't be very big in Essex though. Depends what you expect.

The only reason I can't rate it as excellent is that my old friend gently implied that she'd be happy if I took her again. I guess it could turn out to be more costly that it seemed.

• Liked — Hugely classy but not snobbish or pretentious
  • Disliked — I can't afford to live there full-time
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to The Goring? Share your experiences!