“Magical Afternoon Tea” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Goring

You added The Goring to your Saves list
The Goring
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Beeston Place, Grosvenor Gardens, London SW1W 0JW, England (Mayfair / St James's / Piccadilly / Green Park )   |
Special Rate
Advance Purchase Offer
Ranked #6 of 1,066 Hotels in London
Valletta, Malta
“Magical Afternoon Tea”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 12, 2013

We wished to experience something truly British - the afternoon tea - and after some research, we felt The Goring would be best suited to our needs, and what is more, they have been awarded with an Award of Excellence by The Tea Guild. Surely, there can be no better guarantee than that!

As soon as we arrived, we were greeted by a jovial doorman who immediately made us feel right at home with his jokes. We were shown inside, and the restaurant hostess immediately welcomed us by name; it was nice to feel like we were expected. Into the lounge, and our breath was taken away by the grand and lavish decor. The waitress attending to us was very gracious and she was very attentive throughout our stay at the lounge.

Prior to our visit, I had contacted the hotel in order to inform them that I am lactose intolerant and I was immediately reassured that everything would be taken care of. At the hotel, I reminded our waitress of my condition and she confirmed that they were aware and that I will be taken care of. I was definitely not disappointed! I was provided with a special three-tier tray that was still very similar to that of my family, so I did not feel left out. The food was exquisite and the selection of teas was well-balanced. We had the The Goring brew, which I heartily recommend!

All in all, we were extremely satisfied by the experience, and we were treated like royalty. We will surely return for another visit in the future, and wholeheartedly recommend the afternoon tea experience to anyone who feels like indulging in some proper British pampering.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
The_Goring, General Manager at The Goring, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Dear raqu04,

Thank you very much for your wonderful review of your recent afternoon tea at The Goring.

I am delighted that from the moment you arrived at The Goring you were made to feel completely at home by the team. It is always lovely to read that a guest’s breath was taken away by the décor of the hotel and that they enjoyed every morsel of their tea.

We are all thrilled that you will be back to see us before too long for another slice of British pampering accompanied by some of our delicious afternoon tea treats.

Graham Copeman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (122)
Freiburg im Breisgau, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2013

After being in many 5-star hotels in the past I wondered where some of them got the stars from. For The Goring I would personally rate it even higher if that were possible. From the very arrival to the departure I felt really at home. Personally received by the managing staff we found that in the following days we were utterly pampered and cared for and every wish was eagerly met. The restaurant is a real gem, also foodwise, and the tranquillity and peacefulness of the surroundings is really astonishing in our age. At last a place without the constant piped music, real tea made with leaves!, wonderful mattresses, and a very attentive staff. I wonder where this sort of personnel can be found. We are looking forward to returning soon.

Room Tip: Even the front is relatively quiet, quieter presumably the rooms facing the hotel gardens.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
The_Goring, General Manager at The Goring, responded to this review, September 10, 2013
Dear JoCoiner,

Thank you very much for your wonderful review of your stay with.

We are all thrilled by your comments and delighted that throughout your stay you felt right at home. It is always lovely to see that a guest has felt completely pampered during their time with us as our team pride themselves on looking after each and every one of our guests.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Goring for another moment of peace and tranquillity and of course our more than five star service!

5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

We arrived after a hideous journey, frazzled and exhausted.
The moment we'd switched off the engine we were greeted by the lovely doorman and his fabulous team.
Our bags were unloaded and transported up to our room, our car was taken away and parked for us. We went to the lounge and ordered our first bottle of champagne.
Nothing was too much trouble for the staff. We ordered from the bar menu, the food was fabulous, portions generous, quality superb, absolutely first class.
The hotel was spotless, attention to detail superb.
For breakfast we wanted changes to the standard menu, no problem, our food arrived exactly as we'd ordered.
I loved this hotel and the staff and hope to return again and again.

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Karen G,

Thank you very much for your wonderful review of your recent stay at The Goring.

I am delighted that from the moment you entered the hotel the stresses and strains of your journey to us disappeared. Our team pride themselves on welcoming all of our guests with welcome arms so no matter how far they have travelled to reach us the journey becomes a thing of the past.

I am thrilled that you enjoyed your special breakfast and that everything was just as you wanted. We all hope that you will return to The Goring before too long so that we can take care of you once again.

Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

That is exactly how I felt walking in the door of The Goring, coming home. From the warm welcome, everyone acknowledging my return, I felt truly like a lost sheep returning home (sorry for the pun, anyone who has been a guest will understand). There is nothing negative to say about this wonderful hotel, I hesitate to use the word hotel, because it is so much more than just a place to sleep. The lounge and bar area is cosy and inviting, the terrace overlooking the garden is splendid, the staff are wonderful. I must make special mention to Patrick who showed genuine concern over a health problem I had. Also to Joseph and the front desk staff who could not have been more helpful. The suite and bathroom were again perfect in every detail, and after a long trip of 27 hours to reach London it was wonderful that we were able to go to our room and relax. The Goring is also central to everything, including Victoria Station, but without the noise and bustle, down a side street it is the perfect retreat. Thank you so much for being there my home away from home.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Dear katherine j,

Thank you very much for your wonderful review of your recent stay at The Goring

We were all thrilled to welcome you back to your home in London and I am thrilled that from the moment you entered the building you felt completely at home. It is always a joy to welcome back old faces and to hear that everything is as it should be.

I have passed your comments onto Patrick and Joseph who are chuffed to pieces to have been specifically mentioned. We all hope that you are feeling better and we look forward to welcoming you back to your London home.

Warrington, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

Truly delightful in every way.Do not make the mistake of thinking this hotel will be too swanky for you ,They excel at making everyone feel right at home. We stayed for a special occasion but the staff here would make any stay special.This place makes you feel your living the Downton Abbey dream just cannot use enough superlatives to tell you how grand yet how lovely the whole experience was.Fantastic rooms,atmosphere,food.We cannot praise the whole experience enough

Room Tip: The higher the floor the more sumptuous the room
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear susanne h,

We were thrilled to help you celebrate your special occasion and I am delighted that from the moment you arrived at the hotel you felt right at home. The team pride themselves on ensuring our guests want for nothing during their time with us and it is always lovely to hear that a guest has enjoyed a truly special time with us.

We all hope that you will return to The Goring before too long to sample some more of our fantastic food and to relive the Downton Abbey dream.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

I had only a few days to spend in London and opted for an authentic British experience, in the heart of the city. The Goring did not disappoint. It exceeded my expectations in every way.

Magically, once I introduced myself upon disembarking from my taxi, everyone in the hotel seemed to know my name. From the concierge to the lounge manager to the bartenders, they all treated me like a celebrity. It didn't matter that I was just an ordinary guest who found a really good deal online to stay here without breaking the bank.

The morning after my arrival, I requested a reservation for afternoon tea the next day. Though the seating seemed full, they had the best table on the terrace overlooking the garden just waiting for me (they obviously make special accommodations for hotel guests). The tea is a special experience that shouldn't be missed! I couldn't finish all the food, so they kept my leftovers refrigerated and delivered them that evening to my room for a wonderful late night snack. After another day spent walking all over London, my feet were aching and sore in the evening and I inquired about the availability of bath salts or oils. Within minutes, the head of housekeeping came herself to my door with three luxury, Molton Brown options. I enjoyed a wonderful bubble bath each evening after that.

My only regret is that I only had a few days to enjoy being pampered by the wonderful staff of this truly delightful hotel. I can't imagine staying anywhere else in London.

Room Tip: Rooms 24, 34, 44 etc. face an air shaft. I spent almost the entire day outside my room, but if you w...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
The_Goring, General Manager at The Goring, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Dear vikness,

Thank you very much for your wonderful review of your recent stay at The Goring

We were delighted that you chose to stay with us whilst you were in London for a few days and even more so that we didn’t disappoint you from the moment you arrived. The team at The Goring pride themselves on recognising all of our guests and also ensuring that they want for nothing during their time with us.
We were all sorry to see you go and do hope that you will return before too long so that you can be pampered by us and of course enjoy a few more of our afternoon tea treats.

Glos
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

My expectations were high but the Goring managed to exceed them. The quality, care and service are superb. We had had a difficult morning but arriving at the hotel was like magic - soothing, professional and charming. The room and bathroom were lovely and as it was a very special occasion for us they had sent champagne. Such a nice touch and it set the tone for our stay.

The lounge area is very cosy and it was easy to settle there with drinks and constantly replenished canapes. I was concerned that the other guests would be super smart and the atmosphere would be stiff but this was not the case at all. Everyone just looked comfortable and well attended to.

We had dinner in the hotel which was traditional British, but so much the better for that. You felt that you were in the hands of people that really knew what they were doing and just wanted to you relax and enjoy the food and surroundings. We had not booked for afternoon tea the next day, but they managed to accommodate us and this was another treat.

I cannot credit the staff, from the doorman, reception area, waiting staff, enough. It really is a completely wonderful place. We look forward to returning.

Room Tip: I was anxious about street noise, but even facing the street, this was not a problem.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
The_Goring, General Manager at The Goring, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
Dear grownupUK,

Thank you very much for your wonderful review of your recent celebratory stay at The Goring.

I am thrilled that we exceeded your high expectations of what your stay with us would be like. It is always lovely to read that once a guest has stepped into the hotel even the trials of a difficult journey pale into insignificance and everything becomes rosy.

I am delighted that you were able all that the hotel has to offer from a relaxing drink in the Lounge Bar to dinner in our Dining Room. The team throughout the hotel pride themselves on ensuring that not even the smallest details goes amiss and I always enjoy seeing that this has been recognised.

We all hope that you will return to The Goring before too long for another celebration or so we can look after you.

Graham Copeman

Been to The Goring? Share your experiences!