“Superb Private Dinning Event” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Goring

You added The Goring to your Saves list
The Goring
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Beeston Place, Grosvenor Gardens, London SW1W 0JW, England (Mayfair / St James's / Piccadilly / Green Park )   |
Special Rate
Advance Purchase Offer
Ranked #6 of 1,066 Hotels in London
London, United Kingdom
“Superb Private Dinning Event”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2013

We held our 25th anniversary dinner for 37 people in the Archive Room at The Goring Hotel. The service we received from the private event team in advance of the dinner was superb, nothing was too much trouble.

The team on the evening made all our guest feel cared for and special - they were wonderful.

The menu, which we were able to select form a range of available options and the wines were just superb.

The room itself was a delight helping to make it a very special evening.

Definitely recommend to anyone planning a special event.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
The_Goring, General Manager at The Goring, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Dear seanpmoran,

Thank you very much for your wonderful review of your recent 25th anniversary celebration in our Archive Room.

I am delighted that the Private Dining Team looked after you and that you received excellent service. Lara and Katie are brilliant at ensuring that everything is in place prior to the even to ensure it all runs smoothly on the evening.

I am thrilled that you wouldn’t hesitate to recommend The Goring and the Archive Room for a special occasion and we all hope that we will be able to welcome you back before too long.

Graham Copeman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (123)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

Following a seminar in their function room we were treated to dinner. A fabulous meal with excellent service and fantastic wine. Moet 2004 to wet our appetites, followed by a mackerel starter, then Pork belly and truffle mashed potatoes and a passion fruit mouse to finish. All very well executed. highly recommended, even to just pop in for a drink on the terrace!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Dear jonesco1,

Thank you very much for your wonderful review of your recent dinner in our Archive Room and your recommendation.

I am delighted that you had a fabulous meal accompanied by fabulous service. Our Private Dining Team pride themselves in ensuring that our guests are well looked after and want for nothing. I have passed your compliments on to Chef and the brigade is thrilled that you relished every morsel.

We hope that you will return for a drink on our terrace before too long especially in this sunny weather.

Paris
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

Had a wonderful afternoon tea at the Goring!
Boo at the front door was just amazing, we should have people like him everywhere and his nickname should be Mr Happy. He made my day. Funny, polite, helpful.

The afternoon tea was lovely, absolutely loved it!

THanks again

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear LorieParis,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your recent Afternoon Tea at The Goring.

I am delighted that you had a wonderful afternoon with us and that Mo was on hand to look after you. He never stops smiling and his thrilled that you have mentioned him personally.

We hope that we will be able to welcome you back to The Goring before too long and that next time you spend the night with us.

Miami, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Our family of four just returned from a 5 night stay at the Goring Hotel over Easter Break. We had a deluxe king room on the top floor, where 2 adults and 2 toddlers (ages 5 and 3) had plenty of room to move around. While the room itself is not big (this is London!), the hotel more than makes up for it in every other aspect. From the moment we arrived, we were directed to the cozy lounge, where we warmed up with hot chocolate, amazing biscuits, and coffee while we checked in. The staff at the front desk was efficient and so pleasant!

The true stars of the place, however, are definitely the concierges and the doormen in the front!! I would like to recognize Mr. Andrews and Mr. Patrick at Concierge - who not only steered us right with every single recommendation (restaurants, transportation, even allowing us to purchase fast track tickets to attractions like the Tower of London from the hotel so we didn't have to stand in lines at the ticket booths in the freezing cold!), but I would be remiss if I didn't note that Mr. Andrews was also able to help me procure MUCH desired tickets to see Highclere Castle (Downton Abbey). The concierge's desk was responsive to all of my requests, inquiries and emails prior to our trip and it really made my trip so special! I have stayed at so many hotels in my lifetime and never really understood how vital a great concierge could be!! They also remembered that I was celebrating my 10th anniversary and placed a congratulatory card with a box of chocolate!

Every day when we returned from sight-seeing, it truly felt like coming home. The gentlemen at the door (Mr. Mo, Mr. Mariusz and Mr. Peter specifically) made us feel so welcomed! They were such a pleasure to talk to, they also had time to play with our kids, and generally provided flawless and excellent service. My kids are still asking for Mr. Mo... :) I am also told that Mr. Peter has been with the hotel for 47 years! That fact in itself should be enough of a testament to how wonderful the hotel is, and the type of establishment that it is!!!

Finally, the hotel is located a block away from Victoria Station, which is about as central as it gets. We were able to take the underground, as well as buses to different locations all over town! It's a quiet street so you don't notice any street noise from the rooms, but it is so conveniently located! There are some great restaurants in the area (walking distance, even without strollers) and I can't imagine a more perfect location for tourists like us. From the hotel, you can walk over to public transportation, Buckingham Palace, or Hyde Park... we felt very safe and comfortable walking around!

One last comment - we were there over Easter break and the hotel provided wonderful touches like Lindt chocolate in adorable little egg crates in our room, AND they had a Easter Egg Hunt in the garden with a costumed bunny "Hopkins". Hopkins also got to break a giant chocolate egg (like a huge pinata) and the kids all scrambled for chocolate. So much fun! Finally, they passed out certificates for the kids stating that they completed the Egg Hunt, adults were served mimosas and hot cross buns, and of course the kids got to keep and eat all that chocolate! The hotel also gave my children two plush sheep to take home, which I am happy to report that they both adore!

It's all these lovely little touches that make the Goring Hotel stand above the rest of the hotels in London and worldwide. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone planning on visiting London.
Location is great, service is the best I have ever seen, room service and lounge food/drinks were delicious, and overall, just one of the best hotels there is!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Dear Mary_S_F77,

Wow - thank you very much for your wonderful review of your recent Easter Break at The Goring.

We are thrilled to be recognised as one of the best hotels there is and that everything during your stay was perfect. Our Concierge team are second to none in London and are brilliant at recommending the best London has to offer as well as little gems that aren’t so well known. I am delighted that John was able to arrange a trip to Highclere Castle and I hope that the trip was everything you imagined and of course a whole lot more. I have passed on your comments to them and they are thrilled to pieces to have received special mentions in your review.

The Easter Egg Hunt is one of the highlights of The Goring calendar and we love to hear that our guests have taken part and had a ball. It truly is a Chocolate Fest! Hopkins will of course return to the garden next Easter for another foray of chocolate treats.

Thank you very much again we are all blown away by your review and hope that you and your family will be back to celebrate your next anniversary if not before.

walkpl
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

I travel to London every now and then on business and friends always tell me that the Goring is the best.
So...this time, I tried it out and it is totally true! The rooms are great, the amenities are fabulous the location one of the best, I especially like the heated floor in the bath. I always have cold feet and as I was there during cold weather, I almost felt like camping out in the bathroom...because of the floors.
This is a truly lovely hotel by all standards. I especially liked the garden view in the midst of the city. The only thing disconcerting for me was that it seemed that most of the employees were not of English decent. That was kind of odd in this, the most British of hotels.
The bartender was Russian (or that is what the accent seemed) the waiters were middle easterners and front desk was a wild mix of cultures.
I guess I am being too provincial....but it kind of didn't fit in this very classy British institution.
So...kudos for the entire and wonderful staff for making me feel so welcomed. I especially like those crazy stuffed sheep in every room. They are so soft and cuddly.
A great place to stay as it should be for the price paid.

Room Tip: Make sure you ask for a Garden View Room. Really nice ones have a great little balcony as well.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear walkpl,

Thank you very much for your wonderful review of you recent stay at The Goring.

We are delighted you took up your friends’ recommendations and were not disappointed during your time with us. I am thrilled that you thought your room was great and you took advantage of the heated bathroom floors. There is nothing worse than getting out of the bath after a long soak and immediately getting cold feet.

We are very lucky with our garden which is a small oasis in the centre of London and so many of our guests enjoy spending time in there enjoying the peace and quiet. I am sorry that during your stay the weather was a bit chilly and we hope that you will return during the summer months so that you can make the most of it on a subsequent stay with us.

Berlin, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

We booked The Goring Hotel as we thought the location would be perfect for walking around. And so it was, 10 min walk to Sloane Street and Knightsbridge, as well as to opposite direction to Mayfair... Luckily the weather was nice and sunny, and we walked a lot - like we always do at lovely cities. You really get to see the city well, and get nice exercise at the same time ;-)

We really hadn't any expectations for The Goring than it should be nice as it is on SLH selection. But this hotel was so much more, what a splendid surprise! Such a wonderful family run hotel. All the service was just superb; kind and considerate.

Our room was lovely and quiet. Bed was very comfortable and bathroom spotless. Breakfast was excellent, the dining room where it is served is beautiful.

We loved the lounge bar's smooth atmosphere. We found ourselves having drinks there as last thing every evening. Great place for gearing down!

Thank you, we truly enjoyed. Will certainly be back!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear kirklandgirl02,

Thank you very much for your wonderful review of your stay with us last September.

I am delighted that we were so much more than you thought that we would be. It is always wonderful to see that we have far exceeded a guest’s expectations and that it was a splendid surprise for them. Our team pride themselves on ensuring all of our guests are looked after and it is lovely when this is recognised.

I do agree the Bar is the perfect location to wind down in and look back over the day’s sights and sounds.

We are all thrilled that we will be able to welcome you back to The Goring on your next exploration of London.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

They do things well here, after all, they've had one hundred years of practice!
The overall air is of calm, unhurried efficiency. As we had business in the Victoria area The Goring fell easily into our tight schedule of meetings. It was easy to find the bar meeting area as it's straight ahead from the main entrance door. A pleasant concierge relived us of our heavy overcoats as we settled into the squashy, creased ( and comfortable ) leather chairs. The accompanying drinks items kept on coming, the Tanqueray 10 Dry Martini came with the ordered Grapefruit twist and the house champagne, whilst NV, had a good depth of colour and flavour. We didn't have much time to take in everything The Goring has to offer but we left refreshed with excellent first impressions. We will look forward to the summer when the inviting outdoor terrace and lawn can be enjoyed. A very pleasant experience.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Dear TopTripie,

Thank you very much for your wonderful review of your recent relaxing time in our Lounge Bar.

It is always wonderful to hear that our guests think that we do things well and it is true we have had plenty of time to practice! I have to agree the Lounge Bar does have an air of calm and is the perfect place to unwind after a busy day of meetings whilst sipping on a cocktail.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Goring for another moment of relaxation under the sun on the Veranda.

Graham Copeman

Been to The Goring? Share your experiences!