“Wonderful stay at the Goring” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Goring

Save Saved
You added The Goring to your Saves list
The Goring
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Beeston Place, Grosvenor Gardens, London SW1W 0JW, England (Mayfair / St James's / Piccadilly / Green Park )   |
Special Rate
Advance Purchase Offer
Ranked #8 of 1,073 hotels in London
New York
“Wonderful stay at the Goring”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

I spent a week at the Goring. It's a lovely hotel that exudes British charm. The hotel is very clean with a helpful staff. It is located very close to Buckingham Palace and Victoria Station. The hotel is beautiful and has a rich history. I highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
The_Goring, General Manager at The Goring, responded to this review, January 2, 2013
Dear hopeful74,

Thank you very much for your wonderful review of your recent stay with us.

We are thrilled that you spent a week with us and felt that the hotel was beautiful and rich in history.

Also thank you very much for your recommendation and we do hope that we will be able to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

584 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

I stayed this weekend at The Goring and couldn't have asked for a better stay. Welcoming, relaxing, high standard of service from every corner of this beautiful family owned hotel. It bursts character, history and pure luxury. Very highly recommended and we will be visiting again! Don't waste your time with the other hotels in London, just book in here if you want all of the above! Plus they serve the best G&T I think I have ever tasted!!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
The_Goring, Manager at The Goring, responded to this review, December 20, 2012
Dear Ruth M,

Thank you very much for your fabulous review of your recent stay with us.

We are thrilled that you chose to celebrate your birthday with us and that you couldn’t have had a better stay. The Goring is a unique hotel with an impressive team who pride themselves on their levels of service.

The team and I look forward to welcoming you back to The Goring and thank you so much for your recommendation as the only place to stay in London!

Ipswich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

Lunched at The Goring yesterday and it was a wonderful experience. Beautiful dining room, brilliant atmosphere, fantastic service and amazing food amounted to the best dining experience I have ever had. To cap it all lunch was not at all expensive.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
The_Goring, General Manager at The Goring, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Dear barryo2003,

Thank you very much for your fabulous review of our Dining Room.

I have passed your comments on to the teams in the Dining Room and the Kitchen who are delighted with them. What an accolade to be described as your best dining experience ever!

We all hope that we will be able to welcome you back to The Goring before too long for another gastronomic extravaganza.

Northampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

A unique and memorable experience at one of the most stunning Dining Rooms in London. Staff were so friendly on arrival and throughout the meal. Service faultless. Food was beautifully presented and absolutely delicious. My second visit and so impressed that have booked to go again next week!
If you have never been, you missing a meal that will live in your memory for a very long time.

• Stayed December 2012
The_Goring, General Manager at The Goring, responded to this review, December 17, 2012
Dear Annabel G,

Thank you very much for your wonderful review of your recent meal in our Dining Room

Chef’s brigade and Stuart’s team in the Dining Room are all thrilled by your comments. It is always a joy to read that the combination of The Dining Room itself, the service and the food have resulted in a memorable experience.

I am delighted that we will be able to welcome you back to The Goring so soon and we look forward to seeing you later in the week.

With warm regards,

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

Last night I had Christmas drinks with an old friend in what feels like the home of an old friend - The Goring Hotel. I have never been in residence, although I suspect the experience would be every bit as good as the delicious lunches I have had in the restaurant and the odd event that I have attended in one of the reception rooms. Back to the bar...

It was very crowded last night, probably in the run up to Christmas, and there was also a birthday party in (I knew this as they were singing said greeting to one of their party - which I wish they had not!) Yet despite the dozens of other guests, I was greeted with the usual warm welcome by Brian and his team. They are such stars! Within minutes they had managed to find us a table and we were able to place our usual order: a glass of dry white wine for my friend and an ice cold vodka martini, straight up, with a twist of lime for me. They even remember what I drink (perhaps I should not have mentioned that as it could be interpreted as my having an alcohol problem, given they are so used to me - or perhaps I am just predictably boring!) I see this as a compliment as it is so nice to go to a venue where the staff don't change every day or where the drinks come in an out of fashion (... whatever happened to a Savoy Springtime after they refurbished and downgraded that establishment?) And the drinks are much better value that many other London drinking houses, especially when one considers the plates of homemade crisps, cheese straws and olives that are constantly refreshed - and the trays, groaning with delicious canapes that are served after 6 pm.

Dear Goring Hotel: please don't ever change. You are perfect as you are. Thank you!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear RolandLD,

Thank you very much for your fabulous review of our Lounge Bar.

I have passed your comments onto Brian and his team who are all chuffed to pieces with your comments. They pride themselves on knowing what each of our guests love to drink and eat whilst in the hotel. In no way does this reflect that you are boring it is just our little way of making you feel perfectly at home.

We are all thrilled that you feel that we are perfect as we are and we will continue to work to this high bar that you have set. From all of us at The Goring we look forward to welcoming you back to the Bar, Dining Room and hopefully for an overnight stay in the near future.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

My daughter took me to the Goring for my 60th birthday celebrations. It did not disappoint, it was perfect in every way. Wonderfully hospitable staff, exquisite surroundings and the best afternoon tea ever. Served graciously by a very attentive and happy waiter, only the English can do afternoon tea with such ceremonious style .... This was followed by the finest champagne I have ever tasted. Top rating.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
The_Goring, General Manager at The Goring, responded to this review, December 12, 2012
Dear Blondie227,

Thank you very much for your wonderful review of your celebrations at The Goring.

We were delighted to be able to play a small part in your birthday celebrations and are thrilled that you enjoyed your afternoon tea with us.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Goring for another glass of Champagne!

With warm regards,

Hythe, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

If you're used to high quality hotels and think you've stayed at the best in London then you may have to think again when you experience The Goring. This is a hotel where the owners - the same family for over 100 years - are aiming to provide the most impeccable service for it's well heeled guests. The staff are experts in their various crafts; from those in reception to the restaurant personnel. From the moment you arrive your name is remembered by all staff - they all seem to have good memories. Every request was met with grace and efficiency. My suite, after having paid for a discounted reserve upgrade was medium size, comfortable and well equipped. A bottle of Champagne was placed in the suite on arrival, but curiously this was removed by housekeeping, unopened and before there was a chance to drink it. I wonder why? But the box of good chocolates, two large strawberries and a meringue, did not disappear however, and were appreciated. On each day of my stay, during the last of the twice daily room services a complimentary tray of semi-prepared cocktail ingredients, complete with garnish, was delivered. The cocktail was different each evening. This was accompanied by an ice bucket, cocktail shaker, a cocktail glass and an instruction card on how to 'assemble' the cocktail. I recommend a Cosmopolitan!
In the restaurant, a super efficient and ultra attentive operation takes place. The hotel’s employees have to be congratulated on their abilities. The food is Michelin standard and well prepared and cooked. The same goes for breakfast. The Head Sommelier, Damien appears knowledgeable for someone quite young, with his wine recommendations matching well with the food. It is clear that The Goring hotel's desire for the guest to "feel like you are at home," is taken literally by some quests. As a relatively senior lady guest said to me after I asked if she had enjoyed her breakfast: "yes it's always good, this my home-from-home."
Room Tip: After booking the room, there followed an invitation to 'apply' for a ½ price (reserve) upgrade.

Room Tip: 4th floor room 86 view of Buckingham Palace from this suite