“London at its cosiest best” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Goring

You added The Goring to your Saves list
The Goring
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Beeston Place, Grosvenor Gardens, London SW1W 0JW, England (Westminster)   |
Offers & Announcements
Family Stays for 50% Less
Ranked #7 of 1,049 Hotels in London
Sydney, Australia
“London at its cosiest best”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

This is a great little hotel. The service is exceptional and in a friendly way. Decor is elegant and welcoming. The rooms are a little on the small side, so make sure you don't have too much luggage as we did. Having said that, they are happy to store it for you.
The location is great, near restaurants and a 20min walk to the real shops.
We stayed for a few days and then returned. Our first room was overlooking the courtyard, which was beautiful. The next room was overlooking the street and obviously newer rooms, which wasn't as nice and more noise and a lesser experience.
Look forward to our next visit

Room Tip: Go for the older sections overlooking the courtyard.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
The_Goring, General Manager at The Goring, responded to this review, October 17, 2012
Dear hungry c,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your stay at the beginning of the summer.
We are delighted that you had such a wonderful time with us and that we are in the perfect location for all of our needs. The team and I are also thrilled that you found the service to be exceptional whilst also being friendly.

I am sorry that your second room on your return stay was not as much to your liking as on your first visit. Please do talk to Oliver and the other members of our Reservations teams who will be able to describe our various rooms to you so that we can ensure you get the ideal room for your next stay
We look forward to welcoming you back to The Goring - ‘London at its cosiest best’!

Graham Copeman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

Wonderful hotel: very traditional but will good decor and up-to-date features and certain amount of recent history ... Really lovely and helpful staff, great restaurant for supper, good breakfast, good location.

(Very) pricey but worthwhile.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Alexs_73,

Thank you very much for taking the time to review your recent stay at The Goring.

I am delighted that you had a wonderful time with us and enjoyed every aspect of the hotel whether it was the décor around and about our hotel or eating in our Dining Room. I have passed your comments onto the team who were thrilled to hear them.

We look forward to welcoming you both back to The Goring.

With warm regards,

San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

We spent 5 nights at The Goring, a small hotel that I believe has been owned by the same family since its inception in 1910 or so. They are best known for their superb service throughout, and the Concierge staff is certainly second to none in handling absolutely any issue you might have. They have a wonderful bar area that is open 24 hours, and they serve a delightful luncheon (and also High Tea) in there. While it is classically British (for example, the breakfasts), there is much more variety in the luncheon.

Our room was just wonderful. It looked out over the back garden, which I would very much recommend. While I believe the whole hotel is relatively quiet (because Beeston Pl. in front is not a highly-used thoroughfare), there was substantial streetwork being performed whilst we were there, and our room overlooking the garden remained completely quiet.

It's an excellent location in Belgravia for walking, tube access (Victoria tube is less than 2 blocks), and even train access (Victoria Station located right there).

It IS expensive--I think our room was 400 pounds or so. As I walked to my coffee shop (TomTom on Ebury St is best; opens 8a except 9a on weekends), I saw some other mall hotels on Ebury St. I looked them up on TripAdvisor, and while they were 1/3 the price, the review were awful--lumpy beds, noisy stairs, couldn't sleep. So we are back in the "you get what you pay for" realm. If you are willing to pay this price for a hotel, I couldn't recommend the feeling that you get from The Goring more fully. And the service was truly unparalleled.

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the garden are quieter. Room 77 was great!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear JPCiii,

I am delighted that you had such a wonderful peaceful stay with us. We are very lucky with our location with Beeston Place being so quiet but only moments away from the hustle and bustle of London.

Our team pride themselves on their levels of service and I am thrilled that you were not to be disappointed. Big John and his team are brilliant at arranging anything our guests indeed tea in our Lounge Bar is definitely not to be missed.

We look forward to welcoming you both back to The Goring

London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

I decided to book 3 nights at the Goring as a birthday surprise for my husband as I knew he would love the traditional style of the hotel and the food (I'd previously eaten dinner here and loved the experience). Our room was lovely, the bed comfortable and the linen/towels luxurious. We were however disappointed with the level of service provided by the staff. Although all were very pleasant there were severall issues which unfortunately had a negative impact on our whole experience including: in the restaurant, lots of staff but no apparent teamwork - a drinks order ended up on the wrong table; our food came out of the kitchen before we had finished our starter and went back to the kitchen until we were ready - it was then cool by the time we received it; junior staff hanging around chatting, backs turned to the tables, finger in mouth at one point and then in an effort to keep busy, took away my dinner plate as I had popped my last piece of Beef Wellington into my mouth - he asked if I enjoyed my meal as I was chewing and so I couldn't respond; a restaurant manager who took pride in floating around the dining room showing diners to their seats and not seeming to communicate to his staff; and when I spoke to staff on several occasions complementing the food, they couldn't understand me (I thought I was in a traditional British hotel). At the reception, we had to wait 10 minutes for a gym pass as the main concierge was on his break and couldn't be found - 3 other gentlemen dressed in similar black uniforms couldn't find out how to issue a pass - I still don't know what their roles were. I have given only 3 stars for my stay based on the fact that the level of service did not justify paying such a lot of money. I asked reception for a feedback form but this is not something the hotel uses - I'm therefore not sure how it measures it's performance against competitors.

Room Tip: The delightful room is small so avoid these if you have a lot of luggage but be prepared to spend ex...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Ann433,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write about your recent stay at The Goring. I hope that your husband had a wonderful birthday and that he enjoyed his surprise. I am delighted that you loved your room, one designed by the talented Russell Sage, with bespoke handmade furniture and sumptuous Gainsborough silk; and that you found the bed linen and towels to be so luxurious.

We pride ourselves on the service we offer to our guests at The Goring, so I am sorry you did not leave with the positive impression others have related here. Thank you for dining with us once again, after your previous wonderful experience. I am disappointed that you felt let down on this occasion. I have spoken with the Dining Room team and had the opportunity to review our CCTV recordings and whilst neither of these reflect your recollections I am sorry you should have left us feeling this way.

We relish the opportunity to discuss experiences directly with our guests during their time with us, especially if things are ever not as expected so we have the opportunity to remedy things immediately. Failing that, through direct correspondence, but either way we may then address any concerns in a personal manner.

We hope that you had a safe journey home and that you will return to once again enjoy our fabulous rooms and food and trust on your next visit you will feel the team have looked after you in true Goring fashion too.

With kind regards,

Kent
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

Our Daughter booked an afternoon tea for my Wife, Myself and a friend, we had an absolutely lovely afternoon, which started with a very warm welcome from the doorman, we were asked if we would like to refresh ourselves after our drive to London (a very delicate way of asking if we wanted to use the loo), we were then shown to our table by a delightful waiter who originated from Normandy, the afternoon was reall lovely, the freashly made scones were to die for, also a nice aspect was that you were not sitting on top of your neighbours which enabled us to talk without having to listen to neighbours conversation, overall a thoroughly recommenable venue for an afternoon tea.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
The_Goring, General Manager at The Goring, responded to this review, October 5, 2012
Dear Peterrich,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write about your Afternoon Tea at The Goring.

I am thrilled that from the moment you entered the hotel you had a lovely afternoon with us. I hope you saved some room after the scones for Ian’s selection of cakes, I can’t resist them!

From all of us at The Goring we do hope that you and your wife will return to The Goring and thank you for recommending us as a wonderful place for Afternoon Tea.

Richmond, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

We stayed at the Goring Hotel for four nights before our Scandinavian/Russian cruise in August, which left out of Harwich. I, like most of the world, heard about the hotel because Kate Middleton and her family stayed there the night before her wedding to William. It was a bit pricey, but I had to stay there! And it was worth every penny. The Hotel itself is charming and beautifully maintained inside and out.

On check in, we were warmly greeted by about four different people including the Doorman, and taken into a comfortable lounge area to do our check-in, have our passports copied, etc., and then were shown to our room. The room was gorgeous, overlooking the back gardens, and was a very nice size with a king size bed.

The first thing I noticed on entering our room was a very tame fluffy sheep named Barbara. I LOVED Barbara (who I think was a footstool?), and she added a touch of appreciated homeyness and whimsey to this luxury room. I love the Brits for their, 'don't-take-yourself-too-seriously' attitude. And it's amazing how something like that just adds to a room. The marble bathroom was also a good size, with a huge bathtub, and had a lot of glass shelves for all of our toiletries (and I have a LOT!). There is a real attention to detail - everywhere - in our room, the lobby, lounges . . . and everywhere you look is something . . . well . . . quite delightful. It was always so nice to come back to our room after an exhausting day of sightseeing.

Our favourite place in the whole of London was the Goring Hotel lounge. It had an outdoor back patio where we had either drinks or dinner, or both, each night, overlooking the private back courtyard that was surrounded by well-kept three story private residences and an historic brick building, all fronted by trees, green landscaping and flowers. The courtyard has a large grassy oval lawn where guests can play cricket (I just about put Polo!) . . . or you can walk around the perimeter on the path, passing by flowers, and ponds with small waterfalls, and wonderfully cozy and comfortable spots to sit and read, or just relax.

When you're first seated in the lounge or on the covered patio for a drink, they bring you a platter of gourmet crisps (potato chips in Canada), large olives and savoury cheese crackers - which they replace when you're finished! (Oh!! OK . . . I'll just have a few more . . . now this is my LAST olive . . . OK, this REALLY is my last olive . . . OK, really truly, this is . . . ) But don't just stay for drinks - the food was wonderful - and the appetisers had us going back each night. The service was excellent and the staff friendly.

There is also a restaurant that people were raving about (we never got past the outdoor lounge), and afternoon high tea is also served daily in the lounge. High tea was really popular, and the area was full every time we walked by.

All in all, I think about the Goring often - I close my eyes, and there I am . . . sitting on the back patio with my Hubby, drinking a glass of wine and eating too many crisps and olives. Heavenly. Oh man, I'm close to tears. Really.

Room Tip: The rooms overlooking the back gardens were great - it also looked like there were rooms with patios...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
The_Goring, General Manager at The Goring, responded to this review, September 27, 2012
Dear Trudyleigh4,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a wonderful review of the place you think about often! It has brightened up my day no end and the team are delighted too.

I do hope that Barbara kept you company throughout your stay with us. The flock of sheep were missed by many of our guests recently as we had to send them on a little holiday to receive some care and attention. Since then they have returned looking very smart and have brightened up the bar and of course many of the rooms. They are definitely part of The Goring furniture.

What an honour for our Lounge Bar to be described as your favourite place in London. It was lovely to hear that you found it to be so peaceful and didn’t want to leave. The garden is one of my favourite places at The Goring and is truly somewhere to escape from the hustle and bustle around the rest of the city. Croquet at The Goring has become a favourite past time for many of our guests, though I am not sure the correct rules are always adhered too!

The team and I would love to welcome you back to The Goring! We wouldn’t want it only be a memory when you close your eyes and of course there are plenty of crisps and olives awaiting your return.

Machesney Park IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2012 via mobile

Stopped in this beautiful hotel to have a cocktail after a long day of being a tourist. Staff was wonderful and very helpful. Next time in London, I'm staying at this hotel and enjoying a afternoon tea.

Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
The_Goring, General Manager at The Goring, responded to this review, September 24, 2012
Dear LuvAirShows,

Thank you very much for taking them time to write about your cocktails at The Goring after your time as a tourist in London.

I am thrilled that you found the team to be wonderful as it is so important to them that our guests feel completely at home and well looked after. They would love to know what they could do to ensure that when you come to stay or have afternoon tea with us when you are next in London that you give them the high flying five star rating.

We look forward to welcoming you back to The Goring and we all hope that it will be in the not too distant furture.

Graham Copeman

Been to The Goring? Share your experiences!