“All-round first class experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Goring

Save Saved
You added The Goring to your Saves list
The Goring
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Beeston Place, Grosvenor Gardens, London SW1W 0JW, England (Mayfair / St James's / Piccadilly / Green Park )   |
Special Rate
Summer Experience Offer
Ranked #10 of 1,073 hotels in London
St Andrews
“All-round first class experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2012

Stayed mid-January with my wife in one of the newly refurbished 'Most Spendid Silk Rooms'.

This was our 4th visit to the Goring, and they continue to provide the most excellent product and service - without fault. It may not be the cheapest of hotels, but the extra cost is well worth it.

Can't wait to be able to return again.

Room Tip: Most Splendid Silk Room worth the extra money.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
journeyride, General Manager at The Goring, responded to this review, January 31, 2012
Dear Mr Owen,

Thank you for sharing your experience with us here at The Goring. It sounds like you had a lovely time. As you so rightly point out, our Splendid and Most Splendid Silk rooms really are beautifully appointed and command fabulous views of our gardens. I am delighted you enjoyed them and hope to welcome you back to your London home in the near future.

My warmest regards,

572 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (104)
Tampa, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2012

Everything about our stay was beyond my expectations. Many thanks to the staff who made my daughters 16h birthday special. The silk rooms, concierge staff ( highly utilized and recommended ) , bar staff ( especially during tea service ) , doormen and house staff were literally above all expectations. Anyone looking for English legendary service need look no further. I will be back to London and will not be considering any other location.

Thanks for everything

Mike Dilick

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
journeyride, General Manager at The Goring, responded to this review, January 14, 2012
Dear Mr Dilick,

Thank you, I was really delighted to read your magnificent review of The Goring. It is wonderful you celebrated your daughter’s milestone with us and the trip was so special. The team and I are looking forward to welcoming you home.

My kindest regards,

Bury St Edmunds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2012

The Goring for me, sadly, was a disappointment, perhaps because I stayed on the back of much hype. It isn't a bad hotel by any stretch of the imagination, in fact it really is rather good but it just doesn't quite reach the heights to which it so clearly aspires.

In terms of value for money, it comes up a little short. A Splendid Room, which we opted for, comes in more expensive than a junior suite at the Connaught and in terms of quality the Connaught's rooms are in a different league. The room was disappointingly small and the level of noise from the floor above was simply unacceptable.

All this said, the service is excellent (if a tiny bit odd - more than once I had a nigh on Fawlty Towers type exchange with staff) and afternoon tea a delight. The Goring makes much of its independence and this is, in many respects, a fine asset. However, perhaps in part due to this it doesn't quite have the polish one would anticipate at this price point.

As an experience, the Goring is well worth a visit and I would recommend it with the few reservations I've mentioned in this review. It's truly a very good hotel, the problem is there are far better options.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
journeyride, General Manager at The Goring, responded to this review, January 10, 2012
Dear BuryFoodLover,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am delighted you found the service throughout your stay as well as afternoon tea such a delight. That said, I was saddened to hear of your disappointment with the bedroom. A quick glance at The Connaught website confirms that a Junior Suite is over £300 per night more expensive than a Splendid Room at The Goring. Furthermore, our Splendid Rooms have stunning features such as beautiful bespoke furniture, luxury Gainsborough Silks, as well as lovely views over our secluded gardens. If you wish to discuss any points of your stay, please do not hesitate to contact me. I hope we have the pleasure of welcoming you back to The Goring and it would be my pleasure if I can ever be of assistance.

My warmest regards,

UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2012 via mobile

The Goring is the most welcoming beautiful Hotel that I have ever stayed in. Thank you for making our anniversary such a special one.
Lamb curry in the bar was fantastic... A very warm, special place. Highly recommended oasis of British excellence. Lance Palmer, Sussex

• Stayed January 2012
journeyride, General Manager at The Goring, responded to this review, January 9, 2012
Dear Mr Palmer,

Thank you very much for your kind words following your recent anniversary stay with us. There is no finer description of The Goring than a warm, special place. My colleagues and I feel the same way. We all look forward to warmly welcoming you back to your London home when you are next stopping by.

With my kindest regards,

Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2012

If the world did not know about The Goring a year ago, they all do now because it is where the Middleton family stayed prior to their daughter, Kate's, wedding to Prince William.
But I stay there prior to the big wedding and loved every bit of it. My room was splendid, big very comfortable bed, great bathroom with a lovely robe and amenities.
I arrived quite late and went down to the wonderful pub and restaurant and even though the kitchen had officially closed they were only to happy to find me some delicious food.
The location is wonderful, walking distance to many great spots or a short cab ride.
The staff is warm, welcoming and very professional. I definitely will stay there the next time I am in London.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
Dear TinySeasideDancer,

I was absolutely delighted to learn that your visit to The Goring was so memorable. It gives me great pleasure to share your feedback with my brilliant team. We are all thrilled you found your room so splendid and indulgent and the location so wonderful. On behalf of us all at The Goring, I very much look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Warmest regards,

Brentwood, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2012

We thought we would treat ourselves to a special stay in London for New Year's Eve and picked The Goring based on its location to things we wanted to do to celebrate and the reviews on here.

We really liked the overall atmosphere of the hotel. The staff seemed genuinely friendly and all were really helpful. I emailed the hotel on the morning of our arrival to check car parking arrangements and received a reply within an hour. If you are arriving at the hotel by car, they will park it over night for you. This worked out really well for us, we didn't want to worry about finding a car park and then walk with our luggage from the car park to the hotel.

We were given room 77. This room overlooks the gardens, which were lovely and were decorated with a big Christmas tree in the centre. No mini bar but 24 hr room service that was excellent. We ordered twice from room service - only drinks but they came within 20 minutes of the order. Overall the room was very pleasant - comfortable bed and little seating area. Computerized light settings and curtain opening/closing. The TV was a bit annoying - lots of different menus to go through.

We had lunch in the bar. My husband selected a sandwich and I had a salad both were very good.

We went out for dinner but had a few drinks in the bar on our return. The hotel had put on a jazz band and guests were dancing in the lounge as part of their New Year's celebrations. Although overall it seemed pretty quiet but that suited us.

The hotel is well placed for St James' park and we went their to watch the fireworks. You can get a good view of the London Eye and be out of the main crowds to see the fireworks.

Breakfast was good. Lots of choice and again really good service.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Dear AngeS,

I am thrilled you joined us for New Year’s Eve and had such a splendid time. We have a wonderful team here at The Goring. To hear you found them genuinely friendly and helpful means so much to us all. As you have identified, The Goring is in the heart of London and just a stone’s throw from Buckingham Palace, St James’s Park and many other attractions. It pleases me to hear of your lovely Lounge Bar lunch and Dining Room breakfast. On behalf of us all here at The Goring, all the very best for 2012 and please do return soon.

With warm regards,

LA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2011

It's a crusty old english establishment. Everything that you would expect with that statement. Pleasant service, ok food, and very expensive. My room was quite small, so if you are getting a room at the lower end of the price range, you won't get much. Very cool experience overall.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Dear Spedlyman,

Thank you for your review following your stay with us last summer. I am pleased you enjoyed your experience. The Goring is a quintessentially British hotel where the very best service and food has been celebrated for over a century. I hope you get the chance to join us again soon and I look forward to meeting you.

With kind regards,

Graham Copeman

Been to The Goring? Share your experiences!