“BEYOND. Beautiful hotel with personalized service and no snoot.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Goring

You added The Goring to your Saves list
The Goring
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Beeston Place, Grosvenor Gardens, London SW1W 0JW, England (Westminster)   |
Special Rate
Family Stays at 50% OIff
Ranked #11 of 1,054 Hotels in London
LulubelleT
“BEYOND. Beautiful hotel with personalized service and no snoot.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

We stayed at The Goring for 2 days in June and LOVED it. My 7 yr old daughter Lucy and I went and she and I could have moved in we were so comfortable there. The staff is wonderful, they are so accommodating of families and I never once felt "awkward" about having a 7 yr old child with me -- even when she was restless and silly in quieter spaces.

The rooms are beautifully appointed and the beds -- well, let's just say we slept for 4 hours the day we arrived even though we didn't mean to!

Tea is a must do while you're there. Plus the proper English Breakfast in the restaurant. I cannot wait to go back. The fact that the Duchess of Cambridge stayed here before the Royal Wedding was just icing on the cake...

More details here: http://poshbrood.com/destinations/detail/the_goring_hotel/

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
journeyride, General Manager at The Goring, responded to this review, August 9, 2011
Dear LulibelleT,

Thank you so much for finding the time to share your thoughts on Tripadvisor as well as on your excellent website. I am thrilled both you and Lucy enjoyed your time with us. It is essential to us that our guests feel truly at home at The Goring, really part of the family.

Next time you must stay for longer.

Graham Copeman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
Dubai
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2011

It's an amazing hotel. A traditional English hotel with a blend of a modern. Flowers will catch your eyes once you enter the hotel as well as the sheeps! Yes sheeps.

It runs by a family who care for little guest. They have family rooms in request which I didn't by mistake but though we enjoyed our Stay! Gift pack, sheeps and a basket for baby were give as well a cookies making with chef class was an
experience. Rooms are clean. Service was great! Everyone smiles and greet. Goring blend tea is vey tasty and lavender crem burlee is a recommended. I will highly recommend.

• Stayed July 2011
Dear t.sweet,

I thank you very much indeed for reviewing your stay with us last month. We adore families here at The Goring. I am thrilled the children had the opportunity to join Chef in the kitchen for cookie baking. What a treat!

When you are next in London please do speak to us directly to discuss our delightful accommodation for families.

Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2011

My mother and myself stayed in the Goring last Friday and Saturday night. The food was just amazing and the staff so nice. It was not pompous at all, bar one incident. They could not do enough for you. If you feel you would like to stay in a really high end hotel, but are worried that it may be too upper crust for you; then stop worrying now. Whilst the Goring maintains a very high standard, all the staff are so nice and helpful and really make you feel at home. The main attraction at this hotel, and what made out stay, was the Rupert the Porter (much more than that) and Patrick the Concierge! The truly made our stay at this hotel memorable. Due to an instance on the first day, we felt a little intimidated. After mentioning it to the hotel, the rest of our stay was uphill! Patrick and Rupert could not be nicer. It was as if we had known them forever. They were personalities were outstanding and without a doubt, we will be going back to the Goring to see them and to stay in this marvellously high end and personable hotel. Thank you so much to all the staff, in particular, Rupert and Patrick.

Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
journeyride, General Manager at The Goring, responded to this review, July 21, 2011
Dear Carrieg123,

Thank you for taking the time to post your lovely comments. Each and every guest is part of the family here at The Goring. It is fabulous you have found your London ‘home away from home’.

I have passed on your thanks to Patrick and Rupert and indeed the whole team, I know they will be delighted.

It was a pleasure having you with us, and I do hope you return to your London home very soon.

Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2011

I just loved this hotel. Not a modern glitzy hotel. Small, classic with a terrific staff. Rooms can be small, but well appointed with great amenities. The room carpets are a bit worn and need to be replaced. But the lounge and restaurant are wonderful with emphasis on good English fare. From doorman to ice delivered in 5 minutes-the staff is just terrific. Tucked away between Victoria and Buckingham Palace, the hotel is quiet and convenient. Loved it! I will be back.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
journeyride, General Manager at The Goring, responded to this review, July 2, 2011
Dear FloridaTravelplan,

I am delighted to hear of your lovely stay with us. We take a huge amount of pride in our service, so thank you for taking the time to share your comments.

I do hope to welcome you back In the near future,

Warm regards,
Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2011

I have been WOWed by places twice in my life and this was one of them. A most fantastic and memorable experience and I will definately go back there again.

Expected to feel 'out' as I really thought that it would be snooty - definately not. Before we even got in through the door we encountered a most friendly doorman (when we were leaving he was very kind to get a taxi for us which would take credit card payment - Thank You). First impressions ... definately true in relation to this hotel.

I was not lucky enough (this time!!) to be staying as an overnight guest. We had afternoon tea booked in advance (you must book in advance). It was just delicious - we went for the option to include the champagne. I really could not recommend this experience highly enough and it was in most comfortable and atmospheric surroundings. The afternoon tea was most enjoyed. The staff were excellent and the hotel itself just fabulous ... I took a little wander! We were very lucky that the weather allowed us to enjoy the beautiful gardens / beach area (yes - beach!) ... this hotel has biggest gardens of any hotel in central London.

If anyone considering this hotel for a wedding - I can only imagine that it would be the absolute ideal London location.

Fabulous / Amazing / Loved It / Memorable / Quality / Friendly / Luxurious / Comfortable - all that and more.

Look forward to my next visit and have been recommending since I left it.

Well done all at The Goring (one thing I meant to check out ... what is the meaning with the sheep?)

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
journeyride, General Manager at The Goring, responded to this review, June 18, 2011
Dear PlanesTrainsAutos09,

Thank you so much for your lovely comments. I am delighted you were 'WOWed' by our afternoon Tea.

As to our sheep, George Goring, our Chairman, bought a sheep to adorn the Lounge. The sheep soon spread to decorate our guest bedrooms and public areas!

Please do complete The Goring experience with an overnight stay. Oliver and his reservations team would be delighted to help.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

With warm regards,
Gurgaon, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

I booked this hotel as it was a 5 min walk to my workplace at Buckingham Palace road. Its quint & neat with a load of British elegance.

The rooms were comfortable and subtle in decor which matched my preference. Spacious with enough cupboard space and fitted out with everything you need for a business travel. The iron, coffee maker (some really good butter cookies neatly packed).

The service in the hotel is excellent , yet a bit formal . If you are used to India hospitality, dont expect someone to be looking out for you, but if you approach /ask they are very cordial and efficient.

I loved the food , not a very elaborate menu but whatever I had (4 dinners) were all different cuisine and quite amazing. Again, you do not have a choice of Indian cuisine.

A must do (even if you are rushing out in the morning) is the breakfast buffet. Keep in mind its a formal affair so if you stoll in with your slippers you may feel a bit out of place where everyone is in a suit. Its not a typical buffet and you order on your table, but I find it a very classy affair.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2011

I stayed the night before the Goring closed for the Royal wedding as I had a business meeting close by the following day. I was going to stay about 6 weeks earlier but decided due to available rates and where I needed to be the next day the Savoy was better. However what really impressed was the chap on the phone who dealt with me at reception the first time was excellent, helpful, efficient and friendly, that experience wasn’t like your typical large chain of hotels and I thought then I would try the Goring the next time which I did.

The hotel is relatively small and feels like a family run hotel, all the staff are very friendly and helpful. It’s decorated in a traditional style, so if your looking for ultra modern this will not be your cup of tea. The floor lobby was large bright and warm which was excellent compared to similar hotel hotels. My room was very nicely decorated, bright with a lovely view over the garden, which is one of this hotel’s major plus points. The room was large and really had everything you’d expect, the bathroom was a good size and the shower was powerful but I would have liked a separate shower.

In the evening I had a couple of glasses of wine in the bar, which is small but nicely furnished, and the staff / service were very friendly and efficient even though the hotel was busy and there were lots of press outside. The bar adjoins the terrace, which overlooks the garden, and this was really special to be able to sit outside on the terrace is unique for a central London hotel.

So overall I would say this hotel is very good, relaxing place to stay, which makes you feel very welcome, has great beds and looks after you, which is what you would expect in a 5 star hotel. Compared to other 5 star hotels such as the Dorchester, Claridges and the Savoy where you do feel like a number.

My only criticism of the hotel was the food, I would say it was consistently average, it was fine just not as good as other hotels and when your paying £500 a night you expect the best. I had a burger from room service with a desert and just the whole way it was presented and tasted just wasn’t as good as say the Savoy, which was head and shoulders above the Goring. Secondly the breakfast, the breakfast again was ok, but not as good as say Claridges or the Connaught. I had ordered smoked salmon and scrambled eggs which was swimming in butter by the time it got to me and tasted incredibly bland. The only redeeming part of the breakfast was the orange juice.

Overall the hotel is good and I hope the food is better normally than I experienced and hopefully it was just they were just rushed due to the wedding preparation, so I would stay again for all the good reasons above but I wouldn’t stay a third time if the food isn’t significantly better during my next stay.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled on business
journeyride, General Manager at The Goring, responded to this review, June 19, 2011
Dear RJB 1000,
Thank you for your delightful comments.
Our personalised service is of paramount importance to us here at The Goring. We feel we are a ‘home away from home’ to our guests. We like to think of each guest as part of the family, and certainly not a number like in larger, chain hotels.
Our gardens, veranda, and terrace are indeed a fabulous, and unique, feature of the London hotel scene. I am delighted you took time to enjoy them.
When you next join us, please do speak with Oliver, and his team in reservations to request a separate shower in your bedroom.
With Warmest regards,