“Average but almost very good” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Angus Steakhouse - Leicester Sq - CLOSED

Angus Steakhouse - Leicester Sq
50 Leicester Square, London WC2H 7LU, England (Mayfair / St James's / Piccadilly / Green Park )
+44 (0) 20 7839 9269
Website
Improve this listing
Cuisines: Steakhouse, British
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Reservations, Late Night
Neighborhood: Mayfair / St James's / Piccadilly / Green Park
London, United Kingdom
“Average but almost very good”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

My oldest friend was over from the USA and we went out primarily to catch up on things (28/3/2013) and we chose the Leicester Square branch on impulse as we both enjoy steak. I had the ribeye which came with just a relatively small but tasty salad (side dishes were extra). The staff were friendly and very quick (though this did come across as slightly rushed) and knowledgeable of their products. The steak, salad and baked potato were excellent and cooked exactly how I asked. The reason I cannot justify ‘very good’ is the rather cramped table layout which hinders privacy and the price which, even for the West End, is high. However, if you are around the West End and you have a craving for a good quality steak you could do a lot worse than popping in here.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

52% Recommend
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Doddington, United Kingdom
“great food & staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

My wife and I have just had a late dinner there after a show. The steaks were of excellent quality and very well cooked. The staff were charming and looked after us very well. We were the last to leave and did not feel rushed at all. If this is typical of the chain I would be more than happy to visit them again.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
“Disappointing!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

Me and my friend went to the "famous" Angus Steakhouse last night (25th March) for late lunch or you could call it an early dinner, as we had few hours before our show. Chose to go there as my friend Loves his steak. As we arrived at the door, not very smiley waiter/manager seated us at table for 2, in the middle of the restaurant, but I didn't like the location of it as all the tables were very close to each other and I couldn't feel any small "privacy". So we asked him if we could be seated in a booth at table for 4, as it wasn't that busy, but just as I thought same waiter/manager wasn't happy and refused to do it, so I told him it was ok so I wouldn't spoil my evening.
I don't usually eat steak, but this time I just had to try the Gammon steak with pineapple. My friend had a Rib eye. I was a bit disappointed that on the menu they had only 2 vegetarian dishes. None of the steaks comes with any potatoes so we had to order a couple of sides which means we had to spend an extra money... Even know we both wanted our steaks well done it took way too long till food finally was almost literally frown on a table with very poor presentation on the plates. My friends steak was very dry in the middle and side of fries arrived later. My gammon steak was cooked well and with no fat on it just like I requested. Although salad had few leaves, half of tomato and a drop of dressing. My side of mashed potatoes was terrible as it looked. I couldn't taste only potatoes with water, with peaces of potato skin in it. Staff haven't checked on us back which I found as a sign of poor service. We left half of our meal on the plates and no one wasn't interesting if something was wrong with it...desserts were looking nice on a menu but we asked for bill and left very disappointed. Never going back there and will never recommend it anyone.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Dublin, Ireland
“A very quick decision made !”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2013

First night of our trip to London, we literally walked out of Leicester square tube station and ran to the first restaurant that we saw as it was raining heavily, it turned out to be this one!
We were warmly welcomed into a very busy restaurant as it was a Friday night and seated quickly. Our first impressions were that we were being ignored and had to ask to be served but as our order was made, the food came out very quickly in reasonably sized portions and hot!!
The quality of food was excellent and we loved the free refills on soft drinks. Perfect choice if your in the area and prepared to pay proper restaurant prices.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
killer_butterflies
“Burnt, overly expensive food. Poor. Should have gone to TGI Fridays.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2013

My husband and I ate here today on a whim. We past it hungry and thought why not. The staff were polite and efficient but not very friendly or welcoming.

I ordered the chicken skewers and my husband chose an 8oz steak, I forget what cut.

My main was poor. I immediately knew I had chosen badly as it was burnt, dry and boring. I added a little of my husband's garlic butter (£2!) to my rice to make it more palatable. The chicken was overcooked and the peppers and onions were shrivelled and black.

My husband said his steak was nice but not the best he had ever eaten and it cost 25 pounds without any sides or sauce. It definitely wasn't cooked how he wanted it either.

As soon as out mains were removed our waitress asked if we wanted anything else and we said we would have pudding - we'd had little chance to say much else but the menu had been on the table the whole time so she expected us to know straight away!

My husband ordered his favourite sticky toffee pudding - this was advertised as oven baked on the menu but when it arrived it looked total different and was one of those 99p Heinz jobbies that comes out of a tin! And they charged a fiver. I ordered the rocky road and it was nothing special. With two orange juices the bill came to £58! Ridiculous.

Won't be going back, not sure why there are so many within such a small radius - very disappointing experience.

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere