“A venezuelan couple opinion of the BHH” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Balmoral House Hotel

You added The Balmoral House Hotel to your Saves list
The Balmoral House Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   156-157 Sussex Gardens, London W2 1UD, England (Bayswater / Notting Hill / Lancaster Gate )   |
Ranked #675 of 1,065 Hotels in London
Puerto La Cruz, Venezuela
“A venezuelan couple opinion of the BHH”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2013

After a long flight and being a bit tired we had a slightly bumpy start. However, afterwards we had the pleasure of enjoying this small hotel, greatly located in London. Paddington station is just a few hundred meters away. From there you can go anywhere. We would definetelly stay there again if the occasion presents itself of a trip to London. Both great location and a rather good breakfast is included. By the way, ask for the yogurt at breakfast, it is great and fat free.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Preston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2013

Just back from yet another lovely stay at the Balmoral. We have been staying there on visiting London for over 20 years and have never had a problem.
We are always made to feel welcome and it's such a lovely clean and comfortable hotel and the breakfast is good with plenty of choice.
The hotel is a good base for visiting the tourist spots of cenral London as the tube station is only a couple of minutes walk away.
We are both looking forward to staying again in the very near future.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quieter.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Ottawa, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

If you are arriving in London at Paddington, it is hard to beat the location of the Balmoral and the price is very good for London. However, there seemed to be a good deal of confusion about my reservation when I arrived and I was offered two different extremely small rooms (one with the bathroom down the hall) before I was able to get a look at the reservation list and point out that I had been assigned yet another room. My room was on the 5th floor (no elevators) and very tiny, with a bathroom and showder stall that I could just fit into (and I am a small person). Had I been travelling with my husband, this room definitely would not have worked for us but since it was just for one night, I made do. The room itself was clean and the bathroom recently remodelled so no problems there. The breakfast was fine but during most of the time I was in the breakfast room, the owner was having a very loud argument with someone on the phone so that was a rather unpleasant way to start the day. When I am next in London, I will likely stay in the same area but not at this Hotel.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2013 via mobile

I was staying in London for one night and couldn't get accommodation with my friends, so I tried the Balmoral House Hotel. I didn't expect much for £65 per night, but when I arrived, I was greeted well by the staff. They said that they hadn't received the booking, so had to put me in a double room. Great, I thought, but it was on the top floor 5 sets of stairs up!!. Now I am 63 and not as fit as I once was, but the staff never offered to help me with my overnight case, even though they knew that I was going up 5 flights of stairs. The room was fine, with two single beds in an attic room, washbasin, tea/coffee making facilities. No ensuite but a shower/toilet just outside the door. This was shared between three rooms. No trouble for me, all clean and tidy. Breakfast was fine, it was described as a full English by the waitress, but was actually two eggs, two bacon and beans, with toast and fruit juice. Perfectly adequate for me. All in all, you get what you pay for and as long as you don't build your expectations up too high, you won't be disappointed.

Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Halesowen
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

There was an initial mix up when we arrived as the hotel had double booked the family room. As a family of five we were spilt into two room on different floors. Not too much to complain about though as they did admit their mistake. We managed to get in to our original room that was in the hotel over the road. Breakfast served btwn 7 and 8.30 but we were advised to be there for 7.45 to avoid queueing. Rooms are of a reasonable standard and clean. Great location for short breaks. Owner, receptionist and breakfast staff very friendly but watch out the grumpy old bloke who covers reception in the early morning. Easy for Lancaster Gate & Paddington and Hyde Park just 5 mins away

Room Tip: Be aware that breakfast in served in one hotel when you may staying over the road
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Northants, UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

Well, the pro is the location, a few minutes’ walk from Paddington and easy to get to London attractions. A few other things may be worth mentioning, concerning the owners, the room and the service.
Upon arrival, the female proprietor offered me and my friends a tiny triple room (which would have involved two of us sharing a small-looking double) but as the family room wasn’t booked, we were able to upgrade. Bizarrely, we were instructed not to use the double bed, as we hadn’t paid for it. The male proprietor clearly wasn’t happy about giving us the larger room. During the entire check-in process, a third member of staff sat and stared stonily at us, which was really uncomfortable.
The room itself was an odd layout, as if it had previously been used in a different way and then knocked through to create a family room. The toilet and shower were hidden away behind what looked like cupboard doors, and the shower was tiny. Bigger/taller people will have problems using it. There was no sink with the toilet and so you had to walk through two sections of the room to wash your hands. My friend’s bed was dusty and during the night, she used her inhaler for the first time in years. The bed I slept in was beside a draughty window and also had a draught from behind from the doorway into the section of the room housing the double bed.
But the worst thing was that, although the heating was on when we returned in the evening, it didn’t come on in the morning and the room was absolutely freezing. When we brought this to the attention of the owner as we left, she didn’t believe us – insisting that the heating had come on that morning – and unusually, no apology was forthcoming.
Breakfast is only served until 8:30. The small dining room isn’t equipped to deal with the fact that everyone will obviously choose to have breakfast as late as possible at the weekend, and so we had to queue up the stairs for a table, eventually returning to our room before trying again. Then the plates of food were brought out immediately; the food was clearly already done. Cereal was available but we weren’t given the opportunity to look at that first. The fried eggs (no alternative was offered) were greasy and had a bizarre garlic taste.
Overall, I probably wouldn’t recommend since given our experiences during arrival and departure, there are basic customer service skills lacking, and the room was cold and dusty.

Room Tip: The hotel is on a busy main road and rooms at the front are noisy. Ask for a room at the back.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Düsseldorf
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I even can't remember how often I have stayed in the Balmoral House Hotel - with friends, husband, daughter. Furthermore I recommended the place to many people who also enjoyed staying there. For such a great location, its cleanliness and cooked breakfast one really gets value for money. Wifi in all rooms would be great in the future! I look forward to coming again in May, 2013.

Room Tip: As Sussex Garden sees a lot of traffic it might be advisable to ask for a rear room!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Balmoral House Hotel? Share your experiences!