“Take stock in Tavistock!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Tavistock Hotel

You added Tavistock Hotel to your Saves list
Tavistock Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Tavistock Square | Bloomsbury, London WC1H 9EU, England (Bloomsbury)   |
Ranked #629 of 1,049 Hotels in London
Boise Idaho
“Take stock in Tavistock!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2006

at first I was nervous, a friend recommended it, but the website looks dowdy and the photos make it seem a bit less than grand. While it is less than grand- it is a wonderfully cozy hotel. The concierge - the cute blonde one anyway, seemed to know less about London than I did, but he would always have an answer to any question I put to him. The rooms aren't large, but find one in London that is as affordable that is! We had a wonderful time at this quiet and dignified gem of a hotel.
The best way there from Heathrow is to take the Heathrow Express to Paddington and then just get a cab. It costs a bit more, but it was such smooth sailing, I would do it again in a minute!
It has a very nice little bar, not super fancy but congenial, we met several nice travellers, an Irishman and a Scot- very smart savy visitors to London. Also a good choice for student and groups.

• Stayed March 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (307)
  • Finnish first
Bologna, Italy
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2006

The Tavistock is -as already pointed out by other members- reasonably priced, well located and clean. £82 per night for a double room is not too much in London. But: the room was matchbox size and only one towel per person was provided. No hair-drier either (but other floors were better equipped) and borrowing from the housekeeper has involved a £20 (I repeat 20 pounds!) deposit: however refundable, I found it extortionate for the the very old thing that I got and because anyway I was paying the same price of better equipped rooms. If you need an adaptor it is a £ 5 deposit, a Pc plug a £2.50. When you check out and leave your bag at the storage room, you pay £1 (non refundable). With some exception, staff could be kinder. Breakfast is a bit boring but will certainly keep you going for quite a while, but avoid coffee if you are a coffee-lover (or pop in next-door for more tasty varieties).

• Stayed March 2006, traveled on business
England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2006

I stay at the Tavistock Hotel regularly and have done so for the last two years. It provides outstanding budget accommodation, and I can't imagine that I'll want to book anywhere else. Every time I've stayed there the room has been spotlessly clean, the staff friendly and helpful, and the room as quiet as it's reasonable to expect in central London. There aren't many frills, but it's very comfortable, warm in winter, and the room is nice enough to spend the evening there if you're staying for a week and don't want to be out every night. The area is safe and convenient for public transport, and the hotel itself feels safe and secure.

In London it's easy to pay a lot more and get a lot less. I've recommended this hotel to several friends who are also very satisfied with it.

• Stayed January 2006, traveled on business
Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2006

Stayed at the "Big Barn" twice. Great location, a short walk from Russell Sq. Tube Station. Plenty of stores, pubs, etc., near by.

For the money, it's a perfectly nice place to stay. Bed, TV, big bathroom (for european standards), Hot water, good water pressure. Had breakfast included, it does get boring after a couple of days.

Make sure to observe the dynamics among the dining room staff especially between (dare I say) the Maitre-d and the others.

Anyway, a bowl of cereal, some off-white eggs, some mystery meat and a bunch of coffee and your fortified until the 11:30am Pub run starts!

Bottom line, if your looking for American standards for the price, it won't happen. Just be happy with a nice comfortable room, good staff, and wonderful location.

• Stayed May 2004
Sooner Nation
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2006

My daughter and I stayed here this same time last year for three nights and were very happy, so when my brother and I were in London for one night on our way home, I of course decided to stay here again. This time however, I wasn't nearly as happy. For starters, I only had a short time in London, and wanted to see as much as possible before dark. After delays on the plane and underground, I was happy to finally reach the hotel and get started site seeing. Apparently they were training a new staff member, so our check-in took twice as long as it should have, with each detail being explained step by step. Now they didn't know we were in a hurry, so I can't really blame them for that, it was just frustrating.

When we reached our room on the 4th floor I was somewhat disappointed. It was smaller than the room on the higher floor we had last year, and the bathroom was tiny! Much, much smaller than the one last year. Everything seemed just as clean as before though. However, when I took a bath that night, I found hairs all over the bathroom, including in the tub that didn't belong to us. The towels left a lot to be desired too. There were two thin, rough towels and nothing else. No wash clothes, which I know is sometimes normal, but there wasn't even an extra towel to dry your hands on after washing them.

Since it was raining, dark, and nearly all the attractions had closed, and we had to be at Victoria by 5:30 a.m. the next morning, we made a short night of it, and were back at the hotel by 19:45. We stopped by the front desk on our way up to our room to arrange for a taxi the next morning. We were told, in an almost rude way, that we needed the porters desk. We turned, and just as when we came in there was nobody there, which is why we went to the front desk in the first place. We turned back to her and were told he was probably just in the back. After finally getting the porters attention, he told us to call back after 21:00 because the night shift porter would be there. Glad we weren't going to bed early! Couldn't he have just taken our information and passed it on? At any rate, we waited, and called down to the porter after 21:00 and arranged the taxi for 5:00 a.m. We also requested a 4:00 a.m. wake up call.

Last year, I had no problems with the traffic, but being on a lower floor, and on a corner near a busy intersection, that's all I heard all night long! I know I must have slept, but I sure don't remember it. It felt like I was awake all night long listening to traffic!

At 10 minutes before 4:00, our wake up call came. Thank goodness for the extra time, because at 15 minutes before 5:00, I heard honking outside, I looked down to see our taxi waiting for us! We grabbed up all of our things and dashed for the elevator. When we got down there, the meter was running! I was too tired to argue or complain and was just glad to be getting home. We left too early for breakfast, but like everyone else has expressed, if it's the same as it was last year, it's better skipped anyway.

All in all, for the price, location, and the overall quality (which I know is still there somewhere, maybe above the 4th floor perhaps?) you can't really beat this hotel. The staff aren't nearly as pleasing as they were, but hotel staff come and go, so it could be an all new staff next time.

I'll give it one more chance, I really hope the somewhat negative reviews of recent, aren't a sign of things to come, because this really was a great little hotel!

Santa Monica, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2006

I just got back from my vacation with my girlfriend and we stayed at the Tavistock while in London. We booked on the British Airways Holidays website, and got a good discount from it. The reason we stayed here is because I am the third generation to stay here upon visiting London. I felt it was my duty to my aging grandmother to stay here, and funny enough, she has the same things to say about the hotel.

Postives...
-Location is great. Steps from Euston Station and The British Museum, and walking distance from everything. Tube stop (Russell Square) is on the Piccadilly line and you don't need to tranfer if going to and from Heathrow Aiport.
-Cleanliness. The room was always clean and they always seem to have housekeeping changing rooms.

Negatives...
-Breakfast in general. Restaurant Staff unpleasant, breakfast unpleasant. Waste of time and money.
-The bed could have been more comfortable, and I think the hotel would benefit nicely from a remodeling, maybe to bring them at least into the 90's.

All in all, don't expect the Hilton, and if you can handle this then you are set. It is London, you are meant to wake up, leave your hotel and return late and crash.

A TripAdvisor Member
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2006

If you are not vigilant enough, they will sneak their own currency conversion in right before charging your credit card. They put the terms of the conversion on the receipt, but they do not verbally point it out to you before you sign. Needless to say, their conversion rate is not as good as what you get from the credit card itself. I feel like I've been cheated.
Otherwise, the place is OK.

• Stayed January 2006

Been to Tavistock Hotel? Share your experiences!