“Good location, bit tatty” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Tavistock Hotel

You added Tavistock Hotel to your Saves list
Tavistock Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Tavistock Square | Bloomsbury, London WC1H 9EU, England (Bloomsbury)   |
Ranked #631 of 1,049 Hotels in London
Liverpool, UK
“Good location, bit tatty”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2014

Went to British Museum exhibition, so very easy to walk, and handy from Euston where we arrived. Had to have a twin room as no doubles available, and facing onto the inner courtyard. Not a terrible problem as only using the room to sleep and shower. However, it was cramped, very stuffy and hot (in March) so sleep was not easy as opening the window was too noisy. Wi-fi only worked in the foyer, so if course this was packed with people. Not too good when you are trying to work out routes and places to visit.
On the upside, breakfast was excellent and restaurant staff were superb, they deserve great praise.

Room Tip: Go for higher up and at the front, if possible. Better views and quieter.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (306)
  • Finnish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

Happy with Hotel for the price...Good English Breakfast, the staff were very friendly and quick with your Tea/Coffee served by them.......The only draw back was the hotel was too HOT, even with the radiators turned OFF.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Daventry
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2014

We got a budget deal through Trivago on our weekend stay and for what we paid we have no complaints. We had a twin room on the 7th floor which was comfortable and had all the amenities we would expect from a three star hotel (it's rated as four star). The bathroom was a bit pokey and the room itself a little bit spartan. Perhaps some pictures on the wall to brighten things up? Breakfast was buffet style so plenty of it, lots of choice and it was reasonably cooked. We didn't use the bar or eat in during the evening as we had a dinner booked elsewhere.

The location is very good, on several bus routes and not far from Russell Square underground station (Piccadilly Line), Euston and Kings Cross/St Pancras. Its about a 25 minute walk to the junction of Tottenham Court Road and Oxford Street and another ten minutes to Leicester Square or Covent Garden.

I think I might feel a bit dispapointed if we'd had to pay full price, but we'll be on the lookout for deals here as we would stay again.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quieter, especially on the lower floors, but the views are better at the front...
Grantham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

Everything about the room was 'acceptably adequate', without any aspect being plush, or luxurious. Price of the room was reasonable for being in central London, and only ten minutes walk away from main stations and underground made it hugely user friendly. The first night (of three) we were granted a free three-course meal in Jacques (next door), but you could only select from a very limited and uninspiring menu with this offer. The portions were certainly generous, well presented, and it filled a need we had for quick meal before a show, but doesn't reflect particularly well on the hotel itself. I would rather have had a '£20 off' voucher to use there, and then would perhaps have enjoyed the experience of dining at Jacques rather than just tolerated it. Decor of the restaurant was a bit drab and plain. Breakfast in the hotel was a far better experience; the continental breakfast offering is very limited, but the cooked breakfast bar allows for a good and happy start to the day, and the staff were pleasant and helpful. Would I stay here again ? Yes - it was quite adequate, very well positioned, and overall quite reasonable value for money.

Room Tip: Rooms that open on to the street don't have air conditioning, so it you like a bit of fresh air...
Lahti, Finland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014

Good location, but otherwise just an okay hotel. The breakfast was minimal. You'll be better of having breakfast at Costa or getting something at Tesco Express (both are located short walk from the hotel towards Russell Square station). The shop right next to the hotel is expensive, wouldn't recommend unless you're in a hurry and absolutely need something.

The wifi does not work in the rooms. You can get a password and username at the reception, but it only works for four hours (less if the wifi kicks you out, you'll need a new combo to log in again).

The shower was difficult to set to a nice temperature. There was no shampoo, just pieces of soap that were replaced with new packages after each cleaning. I was very disappointed by this. Such horrible waste!

The teacups in the room hadn't been properly washed. When I poured water in them, I got a greasy layer floating on the surface and the tea immediately coloured the cup brown. Neither happened after I washed the cups myself. The remote control was dirty as well. Though I'm very happy there was a kettle and tea in the room.

Otherwise the room was nice and clean (though fitted carpets are disgusting no matter where you go). The staff was very nice and friendly.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Portsmouth, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2014

We went to London in Februaryto see a show that had been pre-booked as a gift for us. Usually we drive everywhere but this time we decided to take the train....... After a stressfull journey due to train changes & delay etc we arrived at our hotel.
Check in was easy but when we got to our room it was a twin & not a double. I phoned down to reception who said to go back down. Our room was changed without question.. no problems.
Our room was clean,warm and comfortable.Breakfast was excellant and there was lots of it.
The Hotel is situated within walking distance to the tube station,theatreland, good shopping area & lots of places to eat Our stay was nice despite the cold weather and yes I would stay here again

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

I just wrote a review on my travel blog which I'll share here. I cared about three things when it came to accommodation in London: location, cost (cheap), and cleanliness. During my browsing I came across the Tavistock Hotel and it was most fitting for my budget and fit my location desire.I knew from the costs and reviews that I should not expect the Ritz and for the most part, the Tavistock Hotel was what I expected.

The Good:

-Early check in: Not sure if this is something everyone would experience, but an amazing part of my trip was I was able to check into the Tavistock at 10am. I e-mailed beforehand and was told mostly likely the room would not be ready so I arrived expecting to simply drop by luggage off, but tried my luck, and I could check in! This was FANTASTIC and made a huge difference in my trip.
-Public Transportation: hotel is in central London. It’s closet to Russell Square Tube Station (5 minute walk) and London Euston (10 minute walk). Plus a 15ish minute walk to St. Pancras International.
-Safe: as a young woman walking alone in the evening, I always felt safe. There were always people around at 10pm to midnight when I would walk to the hotel. Plus the street lights are bright.
-Free wi-fi in the lobby: I read reviews that the wi-fi was slow at the Tavistock but I never encountered any problems. I used it 2-3 times a day.
-Atmosphere: I liked that the hotel was quiet. There were other guests, but I was always able to get a seat in the lobby and the elevator was always quick.

The OK
-Service: The hotel staff were simply okay. No one was especially friendly aside from some men who seemed to like to flirt (but for the most part, I’d barely get a “Good Morning” or “Hello” from anyone), BUT no one was rude either. The one disappointing thing was I did request a ‘wake-up call’ one morning but never received it.
-Bar: I really wanted a hotel with a bar and I utilized it once during my stay. It was nothing spectacular and usually quiet. It was nice to have the time to yourself (and you can access the free wi-fi at the bar too).
-Room: The room was what I expected at the Tavistock. It’s small, but fitting. I always had hot water and it was clean so I was happy. The single beds are very small and on wheels (so you may roll a tad during your sleep…). Walls are very thin. I often felt like someone was entering my room when a neighbour would open their door.

The Bad
-Restaurant: I had a free dinner voucher for my first night which I used at the Tavistock’s restaurant Jacques Wine Bar. The food is okay; nothing spectacular or that delicious. Edible I suppose. I had the fish and chips (greasy, no mushy peas…looks pretty sad after you’ve had real fish and chips in London). I have to say I’m glad my meal was free. (You do get to choose from 4-5 restaurants from the Imperial London Hotels chain, so perhaps another hotel is more decent. I heard the Indian buffet is the only to try).
-Breakfast: A buffet breakfast is free as part of your stay at the Tavistock Hotel. I decided to take advantage of this one morning. Now, let me say, I don’t consider myself a picky eater. I’m happy with some toast and jam for breakfast. That being said, the breakfast was the worst breakfast I ever had (or left on my plate rather). I don’t mean to sound harsh. There were many, many people dining in the room so I’m sure others enjoyed it…but for me, I couldn’t eat it. I tried a small piece of bacon, a bit of egg, and toast…they were all tasteless or just gross. I felt pretty bad to leave my plate there and I never returned for breakfast again. On the plus side? Coffee wasn’t bad and service is decent. But based on my breakfast experiences outside the hotel, it’s SO worth the money to experience good breakfast in London.

Overall, I would recommend a stay at the Tavistock Hotel to someone who isn’t looking for a ritzy hotel. If you’re on a budget and not looking to splurge on accommodation, it’s a decent stay. Just don’t eat there…

Stayed March 2014, traveled solo

Been to Tavistock Hotel? Share your experiences!