“Great value London hotel in a good location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Tavistock Hotel

You added Tavistock Hotel to your Saves list
Tavistock Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Tavistock Square | Bloomsbury, London WC1H 9EU, England (Camden / Primrose Hill)   |
Ranked #631 of 1,066 Hotels in London
Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Great value London hotel in a good location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2011

Stayed yet again at this well-placed hotel ' as I have been doing for 24 years. Well placed for Euston, Kings Cross and St Pancras. The rooms are just a little dated, but are clean and have everything you need. They are constantly upgradng rooms, and the one we stayed in had a flat screen TV. Our American friends also thought it was a great value hotel. Breakfast is a feast and good that it is included in the room rate. Highly recommend this middle of the road hotel for a stay in England's capital.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (284)
  • Finnish first
Taganga, Colombia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2011

Very rude staff from start to finish, noisy dirty rooms and facilities.In short the place only survives because of its central location in London, it has nothing else to offer.Oh yeah and there was a gas leak in our room.Avoid like the plague!!!!!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
São Paulo, Brasil
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2011

I was a bit worried after reading some very negative reviews. However, Tavistock Hotel was a good surprise, starting from its location: if you are a walker like my husband and I, you can reach practically every place of interest in London without using transport. We stayed there for 14 days in June and took the underground only to make airport/hotel/airport.
Room size was OK. Ours was on the 5th floor and had a double window, thus we didn’t hear any noise from the street or from the bowling lane on the hotel basement, which has been one of the problems reported in several reviews here. The bed had a regular size, although the mattress was too soft.
Everyday the room was cleaned and the bed sheets and towels were replaced. Staff is OK and the breakfast is quite lavish – as I made the reservation on their Internet site, we were entitled to have Full English breakfast, as well as a free three-course dinner on our first evening.
The main drawbacks in my opinion are: rooms have no fridge and safe box. Fridges are available upon request (I don’t know if they are charged apart). There are safe boxes on the ground floor (charged apart) but they are set on an open place, which means there is no privacy to deal with belongings. And do not expect amenities such as shampoo, hair conditioner and shower caps. You’ll find soaps only.
Overall, I regard Tavistock a quite good cost-benefit hotel. That was the best I could find with such location, private bathrooms (en-suite room) and fair price (£95 daily rate for a double room, including all taxes and full English breakfast).

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Lincoln, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2011

I only booked the Tavistock Hotel on the day I was due to stay in London because I'd made an error with my booking at a nearby Travelodge. The Tavistock was the same price as the Travelodge but only if I'd got the earlybird price, to book at the Travelodge that day would have been double!

I read the previous reviews with mixed feelings but thought I'd risk it. Well the gamble paid off.

The check-in was quick and easy and the staff very polite.

The rooms were clean and tidy and looked as if they had been refurbished in the last couple of years at the most. The room suffered from a bit of traffic noise but it's to be expected in London.

Bathroom was far better than most hotels I've stayed in and the shower was really high powered.

Breakfast was a full buffet and although some of the ingredient were slightly low quality on the whole it was excellent.

All in all, for £69 for a single room (which turned out to be a double) it was excellent value for money and I shant be returning to the budget chains in a hurry.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
Solihull, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2011

I stayed at the Tavistock Hotel, Tavistock Square, London for one night with a late arrival and early departure. The hotel is situated near to the London University, Euston and St Pancras stations. In the centre of Tavistock Square is a very pleasant Park.
The hotel occupies most of one side of the Square and from the outside reflects its Art Deco heritage. This theme is continued inside and the Lobby, Restaurant and Bar areas retain original features both on the walls and floor.
Check in was a little slow due to the two Receptionists having a debate over a previous guest’s requests and trying to deal with another guest with a problem. I was accordingly left waiting for a few minutes. I was however treated courteously and efficiently and offered a ‘quiet’ room. Thus I was allocated a room on the third floor overlooking the courtyard of the hotel. In truth this was not a quiet room, with the window open there was a constant noise from some extraction fans but with the window closed it was reduced to a reasonable level. The courtyard was in fact the top of the public rooms and the scaffolded roof of the service yard. The exterior brickwork was grey, making this a most unattractive feature.
The approach to the room was bright with a dark green carpet and the bottom half of the walls, a paler green giving a restful atmosphere.
The room itself was 4m x 3m with a hallway off which was a bathroom, 2m x 1.5 m and opposite a separate toilet. Both those rooms were fully tiled in mainly white with a black ‘marble’ sink. Both were clean.
The room featured 2 single beds, a wardrobe a desk unit, a stool and an occasional chair. The TV was flat screen (19”) with some restricted freeview channels. There were also bedside tables built in to the headboard. The headboard went to the ceiling in art deco style and contained the bedlights – very much in keeping with the hotel style. The carpet was dark green and not very clean. The lighting levels were ok. There was space to work. The hospitality tray was limited.
The bedlinen was clean – sheets and blanket, but I slept fitfully.
I didn’t have a meal in the restaurant – the cheapest main course was £6.50.
One oddity – notices posted in the lobby ask you not to open windows in windy weather, for health and safety reasons!!
One concern towels hung on the rail before I arrived looked pre-used (see photo)

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Gothenburg, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2011

We were on a standard sight-seeing trip to London for a couple of days in the summer. Hotel costs were kept low - we wouldn't spend any time there outside breakfasts and nights anyway. We booked County Hotel through our travel agency, but they later notified that they couldn't produce a room after all, so our travel agency booked us in Tavistock Hotel instead, on their charge. Exemplary. Tavistock costs ~50% more than County, so I review this place with regards to having paid a lower price.

Good condition of outside and lobby. The personnel communicated with us immediately when we made our way towards the counter. They answered all our questions throughout the stay without any trouble at all. They explained several alternatives for us getting to the airport and they booked us a taxi (since our flight was too early for us to take the underground). They also rang and made sure we were on our way when the taxi reached the hotel the following morning.

The breakfast is a bit hectic, with lots of guests wanting to eat at the same time. We never had to wait for a table though. It was open 7am-10am, and we (as probably many others) went there ~9.30am. Maybe calmer at earlier times. English breakfast was a buffet consisting of sausages, bacon, eggs, toast, coffee/tea, juice and stewed (?) fruit. I was pleased.

We had a room with street view on floor 8. Clean bathroom with shower, sink, toilet and bathtub. No real issues with the bed (perhaps only to stop it rolling when trying to lean against the back wall, since the bed was on wheels without a built-in stopping mechanism - but our luggage worked as a substitute). It was quite noisy from the street below, especially the first night (Mon-Tue) for some reason - a lot of ambulances with sirens (maybe the many central hospitals take turns being all-night emergency wards?). Earplugs very recommended.

The cleaning service worked very well the few days we were there.

If one scoured the corners or under the bed, dust and such were to be found, but personally it was really not an issue (nothing else to expect with fitted carpets, I guess). The floor outside and inside was a bit creaky, but it didn't affect me (as I said: earplugs).

Free wifi in the lobby which seemed to be extensively utilized by the guests. Personally I didn't have any luck with it, it being far too slow to even manage to load our airline's web page for check-in purposes. Maybe I hit the rush hour.

It is situated among many other hotels between Euston and Russel Square. Cash machine, retail stores and many food places are within a minute of the hotel. I didn't try the in-hotel restaurant/bar.

Next time in London I will definitely keep Tavistock Hotel in mind, and I will recommend it to friends. I'm a happy customer.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Notts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2011

I booked this after our usual hotel "ran out of offers"! My focus isn't to spend a fortune in London as I know from bitter experience that more expensive frequently does not mean better.

The Tavistock is a medium size hotel about 10 minutes walk from Kings Cross and 5 minutes from Euston - so easy to drag your cases there. To boot you are also about 10 minutes walk from Tottenham Court Road and the same from the British Museum. There are quite a few pubs and restaraunts tucked away in the locality.

Booking in was quick and the room clean and tidy. It looks like there has been a refurbishment but you still see snatches of former elegance.

Each side of the hotel has it's points; the front overlooks Tavistock Square which is nice but noisy if you have the windows open. The sides overlook main roads and the rear the aircon units. Based on this I would suggest facing outwards if at all possible!

Breakfast is a buffet affair and the choice is yours (cereals, toast, full English etc) and sometimes with the numbers of foreign tourists you could kid yourself you were abroad.

We found the staff helpful and happy.

So not a bad stay and we will no doubt use this as our base in future visits to London.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Tavistock Hotel? Share your experiences!