“Great price, great location, but lots of drawbacks” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Lancaster Hall Hotel

Save Saved
You added Lancaster Hall Hotel to your Saves list
Lancaster Hall Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   35 Craven Terrace, London W2 3EL, England (Bayswater / Notting Hill / Lancaster Gate )   |
Ranked #417 of 1,054 Hotels in London
Chandler, Arizona
“Great price, great location, but lots of drawbacks”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2012

We stayed at the hotel for two nights, I don't know if we will return. I wasn't expecting much due to the great low price, I've been to London a dozen times before and know enough to realize a hotel at this price in this convenient location has to come with a catch. So, I was expecting zero charm and sparse amenities and I got them. What I wasn't expecting was a totally uncomfortable bed and a breakfast area so crowded and the food so picked over that we left and bought breakfast elsewhere. Also, leaving your luggage at the hotel before of after check out is a bit scary. They have a large room that you put the luggage in yourself, they give you a key. It is far away from the reception area. Since it's a large hotel, it was a bit of a concern that they hand a key to any of the 500 people staying there, and they all can go in and out of the luggage room with no one watching. We were in a bind so we left our bags there, but the whole time we were gone I was worried they wouldn't be there when we returned. Luckily, they were. You also have to pay for wifi, so I wound up using the free wifi at The Swan pub down the street by Hyde Park. On the plus side, the location of the hotel is not only convenient to sightseeing in Central London, but within walking distance of Paddington, so coming from Heathrow was totally painless with the Heathrow Express. I might stay here again only based on our friends that had stayed here before said their beds were comfortable, so maybe we just got a bad room. I would just not plan on getting breakfast and definitely make sure I don't need to leave my luggage after I check out. I also say that being a person who winds up spending minimal time at the hotel where I am staying. I wouldn't recommend this hotel to someone else if it was their first time in London. I think it would be better to stay somewhere with more local character and get a full English breakfast and pay a bit more.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
North Yorkshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 15, 2012

This hotel is a gem find in a good location near to Paddington Station and underground. The No7 bus to Russell Square gets you to Oxford Street shops in 15 minutes. Continental Breakfast is sufficiently adequate. Rooms are clean and comfortable. Watch out for the twin beds on castors! Soap & towels provided. Good luggage storage facility.
First floor rooms are quiet if the window is shut!
Staff are extremely pleasant and helpful.
Will use again as the location is excellent with shops and restaurants just around the corner, and taxis can easily be hailed too! (£13 from Kings Cross/St. Pancras)

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Bergen
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2012

This was my 7th trip to London and I wish I had found this hotel on my first trip.
At least now I know where I'll be staying next time. No more looking for hotels that promises more than they deliver. The Lancaster Hall Hotel doesn't.
This well run hotel is in a very good location, close to tube, rail and Hyde Park. They have an excellent breakfast buffet, large & clean rooms with lots of running hot water in the shower.
What more could you ask for at such a reasonable rate.
Thanks to the helpful staff at the front desk.

Room Tip: I guess that rooms facing the back are quieter, but the noise from the street is not more than you w...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
donegal
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2012

If your looking for a clean, comfortable, good value hotel in a nice location not far from the city centre then look no further. Its situated on a quiet street a few minutes walk from the Lancaster Gate underground station. There's a really decent pub 'The Mitre', a couple of Italian restaurants and several cafes along the street...saying that we tried the 'Taormina' restaurant were the food was fairly average but the staff were really good. Its also right beside Hyde park if you fancy a relaxed walk in this picturesque area. The hotel itself is quite quiet. The staff are polite and the hotel provides the standard continental breakfast. Although its not the Ritz I rated it 'very good' for all the above.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

Whenever I go to London, I try to stay in the Youth Wing of the Lancaster Hall Hotel. Why? Because it is one of those hotels, where you know exactly what you are going to get, no bad surprises. The hotel is very close to several tube stations which makes it very interesting if you have a busy schedule ahead of you. The hotel rooms are specious, clean and have everything you need. You have a sink in your room but bathrooms are shared, however, there are toilets, showers and even baths, these facilities are always clean. The staff is always nice and the check in desk is open 24/7. You have to leave your key at reception, instead you get a little card you show every time you come back, so that the receptionist can give you your key. This is great, because at no time do you have to be worried to lose the key! The breakfast in the morning is definitely worth going to. It is a buffet of bread-rolls bread, cheese, cold meats, juices, coffee and tea, fresh fruit and cereal. I enjoyed it every time. Really, there is nothing negative I can say about this place and on my next trip to London I will, most certainly, stay there again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

Why outstanding, you might ask? Simply, value for money.
I stay in London a lot and Lancaster Hall is my No1 choice.
Warm in winter, airy in summer. Clean, comfortable yes and I would say the rooms are large by London standards. Youth wing is great value if you don't mind a shared bathroom and toilet. (Ensuite washbasin). Hotel rooms are fully ensuite with kettle for tea/coffee.
Breakfast choice is bread, huge croissants, cheese, meat, boiled egg, cereal, juice, fruit or yoghurt, tea, coffee. As much as you like.
Soap and towel are provided but if you like shower gel or shampoo there are local shops open late with Sainsbury, M&S and Boots in Paddington station. Lots of restaurants of all nationalities and fast food nearby. Khan's is an Indian favourite in Westbourne Grove (10 minutes walk).
Proximity to Paddington national rail station and Lancaster Gate tube gives choice of 5 tube lines and many bus routes; you can easily get to anywhere in London. Hyde Park 5 minutes walk, Oxford St 5 min tube, Big Ben 15 min tube, Heathrow 15 min Express train, Stratford Olympic Park, far side of London - 25 min tube. Kensington, Knightsbridge 20 min walk through Kensington Gardens.
In all, a great package.

Room Tip: For a London street, it's quiet. Rooms at the back are quieter.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

The Lancaster Hall Hotel is a good place to stay if you are on a budget. I stayed there for the Olympics and it met my needs very well. It was clean and small, but quaint. It is close to the Lancaster Gate and Paddington tube stations which was quite a plus as walking is a challenge for me since I use a cane. The hotel staff were very gracious and accommodating as I had a lot of questions as to how to get around to various tourist sites.

The breakfast was good and they always had my favorite, croissants, butter and strawberry jam. If i didn't eat breakfast there then I went down the street to Sheila's (Maria and her staff are very nice). After breakfast I would go roaming around London on the buses and before returning, I would get my dinner, bring it back to the hotel and chill for the evening.

I did run into a snag as many of the stores and restaurants in the area did not take VISA, so I had to go to the ATM and get pounds. Other than that, I think the hotel is in a great spot.

I would recommend this hotel and would stay there again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

Been to Lancaster Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!