“Outstanding!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Lancaster Hall Hotel

Save Saved
You added Lancaster Hall Hotel to your Saves list
Lancaster Hall Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   35 Craven Terrace, London W2 3EL, England (Bayswater / Notting Hill / Lancaster Gate )   |
Ranked #413 of 1,073 hotels in London
United Kingdom
“Outstanding!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2012

Why outstanding, you might ask? Simply, value for money.
I stay in London a lot and Lancaster Hall is my No1 choice.
Warm in winter, airy in summer. Clean, comfortable yes and I would say the rooms are large by London standards. Youth wing is great value if you don't mind a shared bathroom and toilet. (Ensuite washbasin). Hotel rooms are fully ensuite with kettle for tea/coffee.
Breakfast choice is bread, huge croissants, cheese, meat, boiled egg, cereal, juice, fruit or yoghurt, tea, coffee. As much as you like.
Soap and towel are provided but if you like shower gel or shampoo there are local shops open late with Sainsbury, M&S and Boots in Paddington station. Lots of restaurants of all nationalities and fast food nearby. Khan's is an Indian favourite in Westbourne Grove (10 minutes walk).
Proximity to Paddington national rail station and Lancaster Gate tube gives choice of 5 tube lines and many bus routes; you can easily get to anywhere in London. Hyde Park 5 minutes walk, Oxford St 5 min tube, Big Ben 15 min tube, Heathrow 15 min Express train, Stratford Olympic Park, far side of London - 25 min tube. Kensington, Knightsbridge 20 min walk through Kensington Gardens.
In all, a great package.

Room Tip: For a London street, it's quiet. Rooms at the back are quieter.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business

242 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

The Lancaster Hall Hotel is a good place to stay if you are on a budget. I stayed there for the Olympics and it met my needs very well. It was clean and small, but quaint. It is close to the Lancaster Gate and Paddington tube stations which was quite a plus as walking is a challenge for me since I use a cane. The hotel staff were very gracious and accommodating as I had a lot of questions as to how to get around to various tourist sites.

The breakfast was good and they always had my favorite, croissants, butter and strawberry jam. If i didn't eat breakfast there then I went down the street to Sheila's (Maria and her staff are very nice). After breakfast I would go roaming around London on the buses and before returning, I would get my dinner, bring it back to the hotel and chill for the evening.

I did run into a snag as many of the stores and restaurants in the area did not take VISA, so I had to go to the ATM and get pounds. Other than that, I think the hotel is in a great spot.

I would recommend this hotel and would stay there again.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2012

Clean, comfortable, easy access from Paddington Station.
Breakfast is simple and basic but adequate for the price. Breads, cheese, meats, cereal, juice and fruit or yoghurt.
You need to take your own shower gel and shampoo but there is a shop 2 mins away open until midnight.
I would stay again though the street was noisy and we needed to window open as it was hot! Can't blame the hotel for that though!
bar is clean and reasonably cheap for London £5.80 for 2 pints!
cost just under £100 per night for 3 of us to stay in one room which is reasonable in London price terms.
local restaurant were lovely and quite anew to choose from from a wide variety of nationalities.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2012 via mobile

Our family of three stayed here during the Olympics. Price was very reasonable at c.£100 per night especially including 3 breakfasts. Breakfast is basic- breads, cheeses, cold meats, boiled eggs and fruit juice (unrefrigerated)- but is an adequate start to the day. Rooms are small and basic but clean and comfortable- take your own shampoo & shower gel etc. Reception is staffed 24 7 and the bar serves beer at under £3 per pint. To those who ate bothered, the majority of guests were German (tour operator links possibly?). The street is noisy but that's hardly the hotels fault. Hotel is a 5 minute walk from Paddington station. I would stay here again for a cheap and basic family break in London.

• Stayed July 2012
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012 via mobile

No non-smoking rooms. Asked to be moved from our first room, it was very smoky. Lots noise from outside, especially as we had to have the windows open because it was so hot. Breakfast was ok, just continental breakfast and there are a lots of teenagers due to the YMCA wing that use the same breakfast room.

• Stayed July 2012
Kent
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2012

My husband and I were looking for an inexpensive hotel close to Hyde Park for a last minute stay to see the Olympic Opening Concert. Based on the fact the area is better know for basic and budget and in comparison to other branded budget hotels being more than double the price , we weren't expecting much. We were VERY pleasantly surprised.

5 mins walk from Lancaster Gate Under ground station and buses
Efficient staff
Prompt and informative Check in/out (we prepaid via Octopus.com)
Basic furnishings but clean and functional ensuite bedroom (2 single beds)
Our bedroom was on 1st floor on Craven Terrace, light traffic but a bit noisy until late due to pub and restaurants on the road. Bedroom warm but it was a hot night, we slept with window open.
We got to breakfast 30 mins before it ended and happy to find the buffet was still well stocked, restaurant neat and tables set, European style breakfast with breads, 3 cheeses, 3 cold meats, 3 cereals, 2 fruit juices and tea/coffee selection.
We had our luggage stored after we checked out.

Overall, ticked all the boxes for us and will consider using hotel again!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with OctopusTravel

Athens
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

I stayed there late June. The hotel is less than 5' from Paddington Station. Excellent and quiet neighborhood. Nice hotel, german minimal style, oldfashioned decoration.
I was in an average sized double standard room with private bathroom on the third floor and I have to admit that I enjoyed my accommodation. I considered it quiet, but my friend who was next room thought it was noisy. He said he could hear pedestrians talking. "Imagine we were on the first floor", he said. I just think he had hypertension due to an exhausting day! The room was fine...
Pros: LCD TV screen with more than 70 channels, coffee/tea making facilities, safebox, clean bathroom with hot water and a few extra towels, soft matresses and pillows, even a Bible. Breakfast Buffet had a variety of delicious breads and jams. It even had 2 different types of butter!
Cons: No aircondition in my room, but it was not needed, thankfully. The windows and the curtains needed renovation, but I didn't mind. In the bathroom, the water temperature was not easily adjusted. The pipes were separated (hot and cold water) and the water mixed when it came out of the tap. If you put your hand right under the tap you could feel the frozen water running along with the heated. I had never seen this system before, maybe it's common, but not very practical.
The hotel has also a Youth Wing, where some friends stayed. Things are quite different there. Basic rooms, lack of decoration, shared bathrooms. But it's value for money. Half price than my standard room.
Generally, I believe it is a cheap convinient hotel, 5' from Hyde Park, with clean and comfortable rooms, fast and kind employees, very good quality breakfast. I would recommend it if you want an unexpensive accessible hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Lancaster Hall Hotel? Share your experiences!