“Charming hotel in chic Knightsbridge” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Levin

Save Saved
You added The Levin to your Saves list
The Levin
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   28 Basil Street | Knightsbridge, London SW3 1AS, England (Knightsbridge / South Kensington)   |
Ranked #50 of 1,074 hotels in London
Villanova, Pennsylvania
“Charming hotel in chic Knightsbridge”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012 via mobile

The location is wonderful. It is within walking distance to many major tourist sites in London. It is very close to Harrod's Department Store. I felt like I was staying with a relative because of the helpful,friendly service. It is a boutique hotel. My suite was spacious with sofas and a comfortable large bed. The marble bathroom was great and I liked the Kiehl's bath products. The decor was up to date and the hotel had charm and character. The contential breakfast was excellent. It is close to all the sights and shopping but it was quiet and away from crowds. The Wi Fi did not work while I was at the hotel and the staff kept giving me excuses and making it seem like it was my fault that it did not work when this was not the case. I had planned to use Wi Fi to keep in touch with work,home, the people I was meeting,research on restaurants and things to do while in London so this made it difficult. Fix your wifi and it will be the perfect place.

Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Harald D, Manager at The Levin, responded to this review, January 4, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback you left on TA from you recent stay at the Levin Hotel.
I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us and all went well
I would be very happy to welcome you back to the Levin in the near future.
Please let me know and I am very happy to help you with a future reservations.
We working on our WIFI to be improved by 2013 so when you come back in the future it should be good and fast

Hotel Manager

288 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012 via mobile

As soon as I arrived, I tried to take a shower and was shocked that the shower did not work. Even more shocking was the response of the lady at the front desk, who said I should just take baths for four days. Last time I checked, a working shower is not a luxury. The worst part was when I asked to be moved to a room with a working shower she said they did not have any other rooms available and was extremely rude and unprofessional. After one night and a terrible breakfast, I ended out staying at a much better hotel for only a small amount more a night. Also the employees can not even give good directions or recommendations. This is a disgrace.
I cant believe that this hotel has such good reviews. The location is good and the decor of the rooms is pretty but that is all on the surface. The truth is that this hotel is poorly managed and that they don't care about the well being of their guests.

• Stayed August 2012
Harald D, Manager at The Levin, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your feedback and I`m very sorry that there was a problem with your shower however the bathtub was in working order and could have been used for that one night till our maintenance department would have fixed the problem the following morning.
Usually we try to sort things out very quickly on the same day or the following day and offer alternative arrangements , just to ensure that our guests are comfortable and happy.
I am also very surprised by your comment that our staff is rude and has no knowledge about London usually that is where the team is very strong giving suggestions and directions to our guest that why we have comments like “STAFF VERRY HELPFULL AND GO OUT OF THERE WAY”
I am also very surprised that the breakfast was described as terrible.
Most of our guest LOVE our small buffet with homemade pastries and homemade jams and our restaurant staff always ensures that our guests have a good and enjoyable breakfast...
I do not think the hotel is poorly managed I believe the hotel is managed very well and we all care about our customers at all times.
I am so sorry that we failed in your case and all issues had been taken care off
Kind Regards
Sao Paulo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

Given the opportunity, The Levin is where my husband and I will stay in our next visits to London. It is less than a block away from Harrods. It has 12 rooms, 3 rooms per floor, ending in 2, 4 and 6. 2 and 4 are next to each other. 6 is by the elevator/lift. It is a charming but old lift, which requires the inner door to be closed manually before the outer one is, and that can be a bit noisy. We had a 2, on Basil St side. The room was surprisingly quite big and it even had an "U" shaped sofa area. The bathroom - quite big as well - had toiletries by Bulgari and Kiehl's. The highlight of the hotel, however, was Ashish, the night shift everything/porter/concierge. The Levin has The Capital, its sister hotel, nextdoor, so there is only one staff at night. Ashish surprised us by being proactive, helpful and glad to be so. He always had maps and directions to our POI's printed and waiting for us at reception even if we had not asked for them. Often he offered to run 3 floors up and close the inner lift door so we could catch it on the ground floor. Of course we did not let him, but please remember to close the inner door if you stay there. Breakfast was ok.

Room Tip: Not sure, but I believe rooms ending 2 and 4 face front and 6 back. I also suspect 6 rooms are bigge...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Harald D, Manager at The Levin, responded to this review, October 19, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you for sharing your experience on trip advisor.
I really appreciate your lovely comments and I will pass it on to the entire team.
I am so glad you had a lovely stay and all went well I do hope you will return for future trips to London.
Hythe, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

This a small hotel that provides great comfort. Very close to Harrods. Uber-wealthy part of town too. Charming reception staff are helpful attentive. The decor is modern with a slight Art Deco feel. Room not large here nor the bathroom in room 26. Very classy toiletries are provided. Noisy air conditioning which after mentioning it on day one reception said a note would be left for maintainance to fix it the next day. However it was not fixed and had to be turned off both nights to allow sleep. On departure I was told the air con had recently been serviced with a look to say: "you're imagining it." With air con turned off it is a peacefully room, the bed is comfortable and a good night's sleep can be had. Although my request when booking for firm pillows was ignored. Only one, vintage lift, so can be a bit of a wait for it. The basement bar and bistro is pleasant with great service and good food. Breakfast is excellent. Large portions here.

• Stayed October 2012
Harald D, Manager at The Levin, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your recent review you put on trip advisor.
I am so sorry we forgot to place your firm pillows in your room and also I am sorry about the problem with the air condition but I can say that after you left our maintenance department checked it out and even after having the units maintained on a regular basis there was a fault in the unit and this contributed to the noise you experienced.
Now I can say that all is fixed and the unit is working perfectly without making any noise.
I am very happy you enjoyed our breakfast and I would like to welcome you back in the near future
And maybe you would like to stay in one of our bigger rooms there is much more space and the rooms are much more comfortable please let me know and I’m happy to help you with any future reservations.
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

Recently stayed at the Levin and experienced the excellent service and fabulous location. The room was well equipped and the bathroom was spacious and perfect. The staff were very accommodating and looked after our group's every need, including last minute restaurant reservations at great venues. The decor is modern gorgeous with a plush edge. Negative comment is to make sure that you are not in room 10 which is off the ground lobby. This room is directly above the bar restaurant, which has a courtyard at the rear, used by patrons and kitchen staff on a smoke break. The courtyard is directly below the room's window, resulting in lots of noise when the restaurant was open ( it closed at 11pm), and during the day when staff are on a break. Not an issue if you don't want an afternoon nap or an early night, and as we were in a large group on the go most of the time it was not a major issue. Wifi was however very poor - kept logging me out every 5 minutes, not ideal when you are travelling for business.
Saying this, I would certainly visit the Levin again (as long as I could have an alternate room!), as the location and service were excellent.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Harald D, Manager at The Levin, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Dear Guest thank you so much for your kind feeback following your recent stay with us .
I am so happy you enjoyed your stay with us and all went well.
Sorry about the noise you experienced from the outside.
This issue was addressed with all of the staff and I can assure you it will not happen again
We also working on our Wi-Fi issue we currently looking to get a new supplier and then hopefully all will be working fast without being logged out several times a day.
Please let me know of any future visits to London and I am happy to look after your reservation in person.
Hamburg, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2012

Great location, just mins from Harrods,
This is a small hotel with only few rooms but great service and nice atmosphere.
The staff is very friendly and we had such a nice time. Definitely where I`m going to stay next time i´m in London.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Harald D, Manager at The Levin, responded to this review, December 3, 2012
Dear Guest,
We are very proud of our staff and it is always pleasing to hear such good complimentary comments as yours.
Please let us know of any future travels to London and I be very happy to welcome you again
Best regards
Sydney Aust
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

For some reason London hasn't been on our radar but sure is now. Nearly drove the wife mad with my spending way to much time reviewing London Hotels for our stay just after the Olympics.

London was part of a nearly 4 week holiday which encompassed France, Italy and England.

The Levin, wow what a find! If it hadn't been for Tripadvisor we probably wouldn't have even stayed there. Do check out their website as Im sure there are special offers for different times of the year.

From the moment of arrival you would seriously feel you had arrived at a relatives or close friends home. The Levin team simply make you feel very welcome even though they would realise you are only a guest in most cases for only a number of days.

As first timers to London and the Levin, it was less than a minute to the Tube and Harrods.
There is no point in reiterating The Levin, all the positive reviews are spot on, great rooms, ultra clean, very modern, very attentive staff (nothing is ever a problem) be it concierge, restaurant, housekeeping. These guys obviously have a great boss which reflects in their willingness to provide a couple of first time Aussies a wonderful introduction to London.

We normally don't use staff names as it sounds like a paid advertisement for a property/hotel, but in this case don't hesitate to ask Graham or Romona any questions on London and if you enjoy great breakfasts, Rob the restaurant manager serves a wonderful English Breakfast as well as a great knowledge of the things to do in London.

Finally the Levin's restaurant The Metro, a local to many, is also very reasonably priced and cosy, a good place to enjoy really nice food and wine with only a walk upstairs to the beautifully appointed rooms. Once again very helpful and friendly staff.

The Levin, great location, very reasonably priced, less than a minute to Harrods, close to Hyde Park, Topshop/ Harvey Nichols.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Harald D, Manager at The Levin, responded to this review, October 13, 2012
Dear Guest,
Thank you so much for taking time and writing such a glowing review on trip advisor
I really appreciate all of your comments and I`m very pleased that you enjoyed your stay and the team looked after you well.
I will share your comments with all of my team and make sure we will continue our good efforts of customer service.
Do let me know of any future visits to London and I would be delighted to look after your reservation personally
Best regards
Harald Duttine

Been to The Levin? Share your experiences!