“Always a happy experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Edward Lear Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Edward Lear Hotel
28-30 Seymour Street, London W1H 5WD, England (Marylebone)   |
Ranked #701 of 1,075 hotels in London
Melbourne, Australia
“Always a happy experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2010

I've stayed at the Edward Lear 3 times. Each stay has been 10-14 days. I've always been perfectly happy there. I find it sparkly clean, quirky, charming, extremely convenient and comfortable enough. It's a really authentic place to stay instead of a homogenised hotel that you could find anywhere in the world.
A man I was talking to at the breakfast table put it best: he said he wanted to stay somewhere that had that touch of Fawlty Towers. Exactly.
Basil Fawlty is nowhere to be seen but the building used to be a private home and has been split up, probably numerous times, for accommodation and that's where the slight eccentricity can come in. I've always stayed in a single room with shared bathroom so have no experience with the self contained rooms but it's always worked for me. I highly recommend the downstairs bathroom, next door to the breakfast room. It has the best shower.
I find the staff friendly and helpful, the breakfasts delicious and amazing considering they're included in the very modest fee, the location truly excellent. I still haven't been on the tube even though Marble Arch is just around the corner; I just walk everywhere, that's how convenient the location is.
There's no elevator so you have to haul your suitcase upstairs- well if I can do it anyone can. I don't travel lightly. There's no air con in Summer, which is when I stay but it's an old substantial building and well insulated. And you can always open a window. The quality of your stay can be affected by the consideration of your fellow guests. Sometimes people come in late and slam the front door. Big deal. I have heard someone say they thought the rooms were a bit noisy from the traffic on the road at the front. I'm an insomniac and I've stayed in rooms at the front and the back and I can't say I've been bothered by noise. You can ask for a room at the back, which will look out at a mews or buy some earplugs at Boots around the corner. Everything is basically round the corner from the Edward Lear.
Look, it's not fancy and if you're accustomed to luxury and have deep pockets Edward Lear may not be for you. For those of us with modest financial means, a good sense of humour and still wanting cleanliness, comfort and convenience, Edward Lear works.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo

137 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Colorado Springs
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2010

My family stayed in this hotel near Marble Arch in 2005 before it was refurbished (in June 2010 they still had paint strips in the halls). The hotel retains its friendly charm and value, but fresh paint, new furniture, and updated lighting made my recent stay here very pleasant. Some rooms are available with private bathrooms, but this will add 25 pounds to each night's stay, so we opted for the shared facilities. The shared bathrooms were always clean, though there was nothing to clean the bathtub with if you preferred to clean it before or after your own bath. Unlike during the earlier stay, our rooms had good lights for reading in bed as well as wireless, though the wireless was weak and slow and disappeared after the first three days of our stay. The breakfast (included in the price of each night's stay) is still massive and absolutely British (canned beans, stewed tomato, burned sausage, decent bacon, toast, eggs cooked to request), but will keep you going for a long day of sightseeing.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
Bombay
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2010

Staying at a property which once belonged to Edward Lear was awesome to begin with. Its a very humble, clean and organised place. Its more than a home stay and not as big as hotels. With Lear's poems and sketches all over the place it took me to my childhood when I read his poems in school. We stayed in a room which was in the attic, there was no ceiling fan or AC, they had given us a table fan but it did not feel warm at all. The night was cozy. The package included breakfast, which was the standard English one and nice. Its right at the heart of London and yet so quiet. I would love to stay there once more.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2010

Edward Lear Hotel,Marble Arch is very well located and reasonably priced. The staff were excellent as was the breakfast. We will stay at this Hotel when next visiting London.
A bit of street noise in the front ,but our room at the rear of the building was lovely and quiet.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2010

It was our third stay at Edward Lear. We love this hotel its so close to oxford street, the rooms are clean, the staff are fabulous and the breakfast is great. We were travelling with our 2yr old and he felt very at home. We recommend this hotel to our friends if they travel to London, and we will definately be staying there again when we next travel to London.
Theres also a good Italian and Chinese restuarant 1 minute round the corner..

• Stayed June 2010, traveled with family
Maine
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2010

We had stayed here years before in a grund floor room and found it to be a quaint place with a good location. It's still a good location but there is nothing quaint about filthy carpets, steep narrow stairs with a rickety handrail (we were booked into a 4th floor room. We never knew there wasn't an elevator). Our room had a double bed with one side pushed against the wall as the room was so narrow. The window looked like it had never been cleaned. Again, the carpets were filthy and everything looked rundown and shabby. I took onle look at our room after dragging our suitcase up all those flights and told my husband we weren't staying. We had been up all night on an overnight flight and all we wanted was a few hours nap- but I didn't want to even touch the bed much less get under the covers! We left and found a great hotel at a better price two blocks away. Never again will I rely on previous experience to simply book a hotel. I wish we'd read TripAdvisor first this time!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
california
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2010

First, the good: the location's great.
Then, the bad: my room had no (and I repeat, no) soundproofing to keep out noises from the busy street below. All night long, I was kept awake by people outside chatting, laughing, yelling, motorcycles revving, cars driving by, etc., etc. It was like sleeping with the windows wide open. Miserable. I finally got out of bed at 0430 or so as sleep was virtually impossible. The only side benefit is that I'll now be able to sleep on the ten-hour airline trip that's ahead of me today.
Also, I rented the "family room" as it was the only one left. Warning: this room is called the family room 'cause they crammed three beds into what had been a relatively tiny bedroom. There's almost nowhere to stand.
Lastly, as regards the lack of elevator: this hotel boasts that it had been the home of Victorian poet (sort of) and illustrator Edward Lear. Homes back then didn't have elevators and I doubt the historic preservationists would allow the management to put one in. it's hard to fault this hotel for a lack of a lift, particularly when there's so much else to fault it for.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled on business

Been to Edward Lear Hotel? Share your experiences!