“Sweet place, not ideal for business travellers” 3 of 5 stars
Review of The Fielding Hotel

You added The Fielding Hotel to your Saves list
The Fielding Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4 Broad Court | Bow Street, London WC2B 5QZ, England (Camden / Primrose Hill)   |
Ranked #174 of 1,066 Hotels in London
Durban
“Sweet place, not ideal for business travellers”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

Recently stayed at the Fielding Hotel in a room on the ground floor whilst attending a meeting nearby the next day. We chose this hotel for its convenient location the meeting venue. The friendly staff allowed me to store my bag on the day of arrival and departure. I stayed in a double room on the ground floor (glad for that as I had a heavy suitcase and could not have taken it up the narrow stairs). The room was small (expected in central London) but well equipped, coffee/tea, toiletries, shower and bath and free wifi etc. This room faces an alley and has a street light right outside the window which is why eye masks a-la airways were provided.. I managed to almost close the curtains but spent a very difficult night trying to sleep - I was disturbed by light of the street lamp, the noise from people walking down the lane, pub/restaurant noise in the distance, guests returning late and foot noise on the wooden floors, the room was quite hot (couldn't switch airconditioner on) and the foam pillow was not up to standard. My recommendation is to book this hotel if you're on holiday and don't mind gettting to bed late and sleeping late. I was up at 05h30 to catch emails and was bleary eyed.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Birmingham, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

Stayed at this place in October but did not like it at all. Our room was very small and there was this weird terrible smell, probably from the dirty carpets and curtains. The location was ideal in the heart of London's musicals. But that was all. If we come back to London again will definitely stay somewhere else. Not recommended.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Grace L, Manager at The Fielding Hotel, responded to this review, November 21, 2012
After looking into these comments we can find no trace or evidence from staff or records kept that this is a genuine review, it is also deeply suspicious as all of our singles, doubles and twins have brand new carpets and curtains throughout. According to the vast majority of reviews we are noted for our cleanliness and charm and that speaks volumes.
Leigh-on-Sea, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

My partner and I were looking forward to staying here and could not have been more pleased with the location - Leicester Square is only a 5 minute walk away and theatre land is all around you. Plenty of bars/restaurants available which is why the Hotel does not do any food at all. The reception was polite and efficient, there are no lifts so you have to walk up quite narrow stair cases so if mobility is an issue then you might want to think again. The rooms are comfortable but the one we had was a bit small - you could just about squeeze either side of the bed. No complaints about the toiletries, drink making facilities, bathroom flip-flops, mask or bottled water available but the bathroom is a bit small. You did have to be careful not to bang body extremities when drying after a shower - having said that, the shower cubicle is quite large and 2 showers were provided. THe main issue I had was being woken up by late night revellers as they went home so didn't get a full nights sleep. All in all; for the money - it's in a fantastic location, warm and comfortable but take ear-plugs!!

Room Tip: Lower floored rooms if you have mobility problems as the stairs are steep and narrow - don't kno...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012 via mobile

I can't remember the name of the pleasant and friendly male receptionist - think he may have been from Middle East - because I would like to compliment him on his attentiveness and express my gratitude for his immediate upgrade from a single room to a charming and spacious double with a quirky cast iron bath tub in the bedroom as well as a large bespoke bathroom with huge walk in shower. This was an extremely comfortable room. After a soak I had a great night's sleep in a location right in the heart of Covent Garden. The furnishings were individual, the decor pleasant and there were piles of extras, slippers, fluffy towels etc with a flat screen and dozens of cable channels. The room was on lower ground so it would probably be dark in the summer and only slight gripe was non working bed side light. No breakfast is a good idea so no need to endure greasy fare under hot lamps which most hotels charge 15 plus for and there are plenty of cafes in area. This is a real gem. I don't want to be too gushing as I will return and there are not many rooms ..... Great value

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I booked this hotel when I took my husband to London as a surprise for his birthday. It cost a bit more than what I would normally spend but it was a special occasion and I wanted somewhere that we could walk to easily from all the action. We weren't disappointed! The room was really well decorated and not just the normal bland hotel decor. The room had a big double bed and a nice dressing table, it also had a staircase down to a sofa, 2nd TV and a lovely bathroom - the shower was amazing! It was a little awkward getting down to the bathroom in the night, I bumped into the TV which was attached to the wall at an angle on a bracket and the stairs were steep but no damage done. We didn't have breakfast but there are lots of places to eat nearby. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Make sure you let the hotel know if you have mobility problems because not all rooms will be suitabl...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Grace L, Manager at The Fielding Hotel, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Thank you so much for this complimentary review and we are so pleased you enjoyed your room (apart from your close encounter with the TV). It's always useful for us to get this type of feedback too so we can get things just right in the rooms, we will adjust the wall mounting now we know.
Gothen, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

I stayed at the Fielding for four nights with my son (aged 10). We chose the hotel because of the location and was not disappointed. The Covent Garden area is one of the nicest in London, particularly when traveling with kids. Given the location the room was surprisingly quiet with practically no traffic noise at all. Beds, bathroom and cleanliness was flawless. The staff was also friendly and helpful. My only remark is that we were given a basement room, but I can't really blame that on the hotel. Since the existence of basement accommodation isn't something you normally expect, I missed to check it up when making my reservation. n.b. that there was absolutely nothing wrong with the room, it's just me being uncomfortable sleeping under ground.

Room Tip: Be aware that some rooms are in the basement.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Grace L, Manager at The Fielding Hotel, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review us and we are really pleased you enjoyed the sights and sounds of Covent Garden, it is a fantastic part of London and a great place to radiate from. We find that guests usually fall for their rooms whether up or down but we will make mention in future that 2 rooms are lower ground so it is not a suprise! We would always try to accomodate a request if you chose to visit us again.
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

I would 100% recommend this hotel based on location alone! 2 min walk to the tube and walking distance to most of the attractions and numerous fantastic restaurants and pubs! Front desk staff were friendly and helpful and they have a shower available for early check-ins.
Rooms could use some attention (worn paint, old carpet) and are not the most sound-proof but a great, clean, affordable "launching pad" if you're planning on using it to come and go to visit London.
I would stay here again!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your positive comments and feedback, we are glad you enjoyed staying with us. We are refreshing rooms that could do with a little touch up (as they become available, which is difficult when we are always full) and take all such feedback as a sign that you cared enough to help us maintain or improve guest experience.

Been to The Fielding Hotel? Share your experiences!