“Delightful small boutique in Covent Garden” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Fielding Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Fielding Hotel to your Saves list
The Fielding Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4 Broad Court | Bow Street, London WC2B 5QZ, England (Camden / Primrose Hill)   |
Ranked #193 of 1,073 hotels in London
“Delightful small boutique in Covent Garden”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012 via mobile

I can't remember the name of the pleasant and friendly male receptionist - think he may have been from Middle East - because I would like to compliment him on his attentiveness and express my gratitude for his immediate upgrade from a single room to a charming and spacious double with a quirky cast iron bath tub in the bedroom as well as a large bespoke bathroom with huge walk in shower. This was an extremely comfortable room. After a soak I had a great night's sleep in a location right in the heart of Covent Garden. The furnishings were individual, the decor pleasant and there were piles of extras, slippers, fluffy towels etc with a flat screen and dozens of cable channels. The room was on lower ground so it would probably be dark in the summer and only slight gripe was non working bed side light. No breakfast is a good idea so no need to endure greasy fare under hot lamps which most hotels charge 15 plus for and there are plenty of cafes in area. This is a real gem. I don't want to be too gushing as I will return and there are not many rooms ..... Great value

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

332 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (75)
Nottingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I booked this hotel when I took my husband to London as a surprise for his birthday. It cost a bit more than what I would normally spend but it was a special occasion and I wanted somewhere that we could walk to easily from all the action. We weren't disappointed! The room was really well decorated and not just the normal bland hotel decor. The room had a big double bed and a nice dressing table, it also had a staircase down to a sofa, 2nd TV and a lovely bathroom - the shower was amazing! It was a little awkward getting down to the bathroom in the night, I bumped into the TV which was attached to the wall at an angle on a bracket and the stairs were steep but no damage done. We didn't have breakfast but there are lots of places to eat nearby. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Make sure you let the hotel know if you have mobility problems because not all rooms will be suitabl...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Grace L, Manager at The Fielding Hotel, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Thank you so much for this complimentary review and we are so pleased you enjoyed your room (apart from your close encounter with the TV). It's always useful for us to get this type of feedback too so we can get things just right in the rooms, we will adjust the wall mounting now we know.
Gothen, Sweden
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

I stayed at the Fielding for four nights with my son (aged 10). We chose the hotel because of the location and was not disappointed. The Covent Garden area is one of the nicest in London, particularly when traveling with kids. Given the location the room was surprisingly quiet with practically no traffic noise at all. Beds, bathroom and cleanliness was flawless. The staff was also friendly and helpful. My only remark is that we were given a basement room, but I can't really blame that on the hotel. Since the existence of basement accommodation isn't something you normally expect, I missed to check it up when making my reservation. n.b. that there was absolutely nothing wrong with the room, it's just me being uncomfortable sleeping under ground.

Room Tip: Be aware that some rooms are in the basement.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Grace L, Manager at The Fielding Hotel, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to review us and we are really pleased you enjoyed the sights and sounds of Covent Garden, it is a fantastic part of London and a great place to radiate from. We find that guests usually fall for their rooms whether up or down but we will make mention in future that 2 rooms are lower ground so it is not a suprise! We would always try to accomodate a request if you chose to visit us again.
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

I would 100% recommend this hotel based on location alone! 2 min walk to the tube and walking distance to most of the attractions and numerous fantastic restaurants and pubs! Front desk staff were friendly and helpful and they have a shower available for early check-ins.
Rooms could use some attention (worn paint, old carpet) and are not the most sound-proof but a great, clean, affordable "launching pad" if you're planning on using it to come and go to visit London.
I would stay here again!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you so much for your positive comments and feedback, we are glad you enjoyed staying with us. We are refreshing rooms that could do with a little touch up (as they become available, which is difficult when we are always full) and take all such feedback as a sign that you cared enough to help us maintain or improve guest experience.
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

My teenage daughter and I stayed her for a week during the latter part of October. We had a terrific time in London, and really had a good experience in general at the Fielding. I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again, with one exception, which I will get to.
The location was fantastic. We were able to walk to many places without exhausting ourselves. We walked across the Waterloo bridge and down the waterfront to both the Tate Modern (in one direction), and to the London Eye (in another direction). We walked to Soho for shops and restaurants, to Leicester Square, to the National Portrait Gallery, to Trafalger Square, and we would have walked to Buckingham Palace if we had gotten around to it. Of course, the Underground is just a block and a half away, and you can get anywhere in London from Covent Garden Station. Buy yourself an Oyster card, you don't have to bother with digging up the fare each time you travel, and a weekly pass is more of a bargain. Children do ride for free on buses.
There were many excellent places to eat, including one tiny take away place on Floral Street, called Kastner & Ovens, which had delicious quiches, pasties, etc. to pack up (or eat on premises if there's room) and take on a picnic. Floral Street also has a good Indian restaurant, and a Thai Fusion place, very stylish, very delicious!-really great places to choose from, all less than a block away!
The staff were wonderful, always able and willing to help. We stowed our luggage before our flight home, while we went out and did some last minute shopping, and had a farewell breakfast. Even though there's no elevator, and many steep and narrow stairs, there was help available to carry my luggage. A lightbulb on a high ceiling fixture burned out, and it was replaced immediately after I let them know about it. One night I had a terrible allergic reaction to a topical arthritis cream, and I was in agony. I finally went downstairs at 5:30 am, and found the desk clerk more than willing to help me-he gathered some milk up for me to make a poultice for my burning skin. (Thank goodness for the free Wi-Fi, so I could look up a remedy!) He looked up the nearest clinic for me, but in the end the milk did the trick (Careful with those creams made from chili peppers. They can be dangerous!). We had a room with two levels, with a writing desk and bathroom downstairs, and our two twin beds upstairs. The writing desk came in very handy, to use our laptop, or to draw, as my daughter likes to do. There was a nice selection of cocoa and tea, as well as still and sparkling water, replenished each day. The shower had plenty of hot water available. We were able to borrow two adaptors for the electrical outlets for free, though it usually requires a 5 pound deposit. The housekeeping staff did a fine job of tidying up our cluttered room and getting around my teen's pile of stuff. A view of some backyards and gardens from the bedroom was nice. We were away from real street noise, because the hotel is on a pedestrian block, which I found to be a real bonus. For the most part we had restful sleep, save for a few late night revelers here and there. It's all part of the fun, anyway...there were quite a few nice looking pubs in the area, if being a late night reveler is your thing too.
Now, there was ONE thing which seriously marred our enjoyment of the Fielding, and that was the fact that come Monday morning (we arrived on a Saturday night), construction on a room not 10 yards from our room began up, and it lasted all week, all day. I'm talking about a full demolition, and a lot of banging, sawing, drilling, hammering, men talking loudly, and dust and debris. It was crazy. I had made it clear in advance that I have some health issues that are aggravated by lack of sleep, so I had requested a quiet room. Grace and I had a few conversations about my need for quiet, so I was very upset about the situation. However, I was in management for 20 years, and I know it was the owner's decision to do this remodel. It was also the owner's decision not to let me know about the issue in advance, and that's what really irritated me. I was put out by the work one day in particular, when my daughter didn't feel well, and there was no possibility of resting in our room due to the noise level. I requested a refund of some type, and the owner eventually agreed to 10% off my total bill, which I thought was insufficient. Had I had the choice, I'd think 20% was more reasonable. That's what I would have offered a customer, had I been in the owner's place. (I'll let you know if I open a hotel). The noise was deafening, and it served as our alarm clock each morning. There was no sleeping past the start of the construction. In the end, we were out of our rooms for most of the day, and the construction had a lot to do with that, for better or worse. The staff were extremely apologetic about the situation, but there was nothing that they could do about it. Since the owner thinks it's fair not to notify people of scheduled construction, I say I would not hesitate to stay at the Fielding again, but only after requiring to be told of any upcoming construction. It's a shame that an owner would get in the way of their own business, but there it is. How could s/he imagine people would be satisfied to put up with such a thing? The staff made every effort to make my stay a pleasant one though, they were delightful. At first I did consider moving to another hotel, but the Fielding is so well located, and the price is very reasonable for the area. I'm not unhappy that I stayed and put up with the noise etc. because I had a great trip overall.
We plan on coming back to London, and I'll plan on staying at the Fielding. I think I'll request the room which was remodeled during my stay-we put up with enough for it, so we probably deserve it!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear guest, thank you so much for this comprehensive and very fair review, we are so sorry the redecoration took on such disruptive proportions and became a remodelling instead, we understand how difficult it was to relax in your room. Your other tips for the local area are fantastic and you did find a lot of the great surrounding eateries too! We would love to welcome you back now it is all calm again and we will be advising of any further work in future so guests will be aware and make an informed choice. Thank you again for the kind comments.
wales
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

Fantastic location set off main road. Very peaceful nights sleep. Its 3 mins walk from tube station and its very close to the lyceum theatre if you fancy watching the lion king, which i would highly recommend! the theatre for shrek, and mamma mia are also within a couple of minutes walk. Good sized rooms and immaculate. Very friendly although there are no lifts in the hotel and the stairs are narrow. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012
Grace L, Manager at The Fielding Hotel, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to review us and we very happy to know you enjoyed the Lion King and us. It is a great location for theatre goers!
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

Stayed here recently with my husband and Francie (below). My husband and I were also very very impressed. Our room was compact but spotlessly clean and very comfortable. The bathroom was great, also clean and the water hot..... with a bath which was a very pleasant surprise. As stated in other reviews, Grace is wonderful. Very helpful, friendly and obliging. Other staff were also pleasant and helpful.
The location is perfect. There are many restaurants and cafes and pubs in easy walking distance. Covent Garden markets are close by (which my husband might say was a negative as Francie and I managed to spend so much money there !!)
I would highly recommend this hotel and on future visits to London I will certainly stay here.

Thank you Grace for helping to make our stay in London so delightful.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Grace L, Manager at The Fielding Hotel, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
We are really thrilled you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for your lovely review, I have also passed your compliments to Housekeeper, she and the team work very, very hard to keep us clean and tidy and are our unsung heros!

Been to The Fielding Hotel? Share your experiences!