“Can't beat this location!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Fielding Hotel

Save Saved
You added The Fielding Hotel to your Saves list
The Fielding Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   4 Broad Court | Bow Street, London WC2B 5QZ, England (Camden / Primrose Hill)   |
Ranked #192 of 1,073 hotels in London
Calgary, Canada
“Can't beat this location!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

I would 100% recommend this hotel based on location alone! 2 min walk to the tube and walking distance to most of the attractions and numerous fantastic restaurants and pubs! Front desk staff were friendly and helpful and they have a shower available for early check-ins.
Rooms could use some attention (worn paint, old carpet) and are not the most sound-proof but a great, clean, affordable "launching pad" if you're planning on using it to come and go to visit London.
I would stay here again!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Grace L, Manager at The Fielding Hotel, responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Thank you so much for your positive comments and feedback, we are glad you enjoyed staying with us. We are refreshing rooms that could do with a little touch up (as they become available, which is difficult when we are always full) and take all such feedback as a sign that you cared enough to help us maintain or improve guest experience.

319 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (68)
San Francisco, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

My teenage daughter and I stayed her for a week during the latter part of October. We had a terrific time in London, and really had a good experience in general at the Fielding. I wouldn't hesitate to stay there again, with one exception, which I will get to.
The location was fantastic. We were able to walk to many places without exhausting ourselves. We walked across the Waterloo bridge and down the waterfront to both the Tate Modern (in one direction), and to the London Eye (in another direction). We walked to Soho for shops and restaurants, to Leicester Square, to the National Portrait Gallery, to Trafalger Square, and we would have walked to Buckingham Palace if we had gotten around to it. Of course, the Underground is just a block and a half away, and you can get anywhere in London from Covent Garden Station. Buy yourself an Oyster card, you don't have to bother with digging up the fare each time you travel, and a weekly pass is more of a bargain. Children do ride for free on buses.
There were many excellent places to eat, including one tiny take away place on Floral Street, called Kastner & Ovens, which had delicious quiches, pasties, etc. to pack up (or eat on premises if there's room) and take on a picnic. Floral Street also has a good Indian restaurant, and a Thai Fusion place, very stylish, very delicious!-really great places to choose from, all less than a block away!
The staff were wonderful, always able and willing to help. We stowed our luggage before our flight home, while we went out and did some last minute shopping, and had a farewell breakfast. Even though there's no elevator, and many steep and narrow stairs, there was help available to carry my luggage. A lightbulb on a high ceiling fixture burned out, and it was replaced immediately after I let them know about it. One night I had a terrible allergic reaction to a topical arthritis cream, and I was in agony. I finally went downstairs at 5:30 am, and found the desk clerk more than willing to help me-he gathered some milk up for me to make a poultice for my burning skin. (Thank goodness for the free Wi-Fi, so I could look up a remedy!) He looked up the nearest clinic for me, but in the end the milk did the trick (Careful with those creams made from chili peppers. They can be dangerous!). We had a room with two levels, with a writing desk and bathroom downstairs, and our two twin beds upstairs. The writing desk came in very handy, to use our laptop, or to draw, as my daughter likes to do. There was a nice selection of cocoa and tea, as well as still and sparkling water, replenished each day. The shower had plenty of hot water available. We were able to borrow two adaptors for the electrical outlets for free, though it usually requires a 5 pound deposit. The housekeeping staff did a fine job of tidying up our cluttered room and getting around my teen's pile of stuff. A view of some backyards and gardens from the bedroom was nice. We were away from real street noise, because the hotel is on a pedestrian block, which I found to be a real bonus. For the most part we had restful sleep, save for a few late night revelers here and there. It's all part of the fun, anyway...there were quite a few nice looking pubs in the area, if being a late night reveler is your thing too.
Now, there was ONE thing which seriously marred our enjoyment of the Fielding, and that was the fact that come Monday morning (we arrived on a Saturday night), construction on a room not 10 yards from our room began up, and it lasted all week, all day. I'm talking about a full demolition, and a lot of banging, sawing, drilling, hammering, men talking loudly, and dust and debris. It was crazy. I had made it clear in advance that I have some health issues that are aggravated by lack of sleep, so I had requested a quiet room. Grace and I had a few conversations about my need for quiet, so I was very upset about the situation. However, I was in management for 20 years, and I know it was the owner's decision to do this remodel. It was also the owner's decision not to let me know about the issue in advance, and that's what really irritated me. I was put out by the work one day in particular, when my daughter didn't feel well, and there was no possibility of resting in our room due to the noise level. I requested a refund of some type, and the owner eventually agreed to 10% off my total bill, which I thought was insufficient. Had I had the choice, I'd think 20% was more reasonable. That's what I would have offered a customer, had I been in the owner's place. (I'll let you know if I open a hotel). The noise was deafening, and it served as our alarm clock each morning. There was no sleeping past the start of the construction. In the end, we were out of our rooms for most of the day, and the construction had a lot to do with that, for better or worse. The staff were extremely apologetic about the situation, but there was nothing that they could do about it. Since the owner thinks it's fair not to notify people of scheduled construction, I say I would not hesitate to stay at the Fielding again, but only after requiring to be told of any upcoming construction. It's a shame that an owner would get in the way of their own business, but there it is. How could s/he imagine people would be satisfied to put up with such a thing? The staff made every effort to make my stay a pleasant one though, they were delightful. At first I did consider moving to another hotel, but the Fielding is so well located, and the price is very reasonable for the area. I'm not unhappy that I stayed and put up with the noise etc. because I had a great trip overall.
We plan on coming back to London, and I'll plan on staying at the Fielding. I think I'll request the room which was remodeled during my stay-we put up with enough for it, so we probably deserve it!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear guest, thank you so much for this comprehensive and very fair review, we are so sorry the redecoration took on such disruptive proportions and became a remodelling instead, we understand how difficult it was to relax in your room. Your other tips for the local area are fantastic and you did find a lot of the great surrounding eateries too! We would love to welcome you back now it is all calm again and we will be advising of any further work in future so guests will be aware and make an informed choice. Thank you again for the kind comments.
wales
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2012

Fantastic location set off main road. Very peaceful nights sleep. Its 3 mins walk from tube station and its very close to the lyceum theatre if you fancy watching the lion king, which i would highly recommend! the theatre for shrek, and mamma mia are also within a couple of minutes walk. Good sized rooms and immaculate. Very friendly although there are no lifts in the hotel and the stairs are narrow. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed October 2012
Grace L, Manager at The Fielding Hotel, responded to this review, October 29, 2012
Thank you so much for taking the time to review us and we very happy to know you enjoyed the Lion King and us. It is a great location for theatre goers!
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2012

Stayed here recently with my husband and Francie (below). My husband and I were also very very impressed. Our room was compact but spotlessly clean and very comfortable. The bathroom was great, also clean and the water hot..... with a bath which was a very pleasant surprise. As stated in other reviews, Grace is wonderful. Very helpful, friendly and obliging. Other staff were also pleasant and helpful.
The location is perfect. There are many restaurants and cafes and pubs in easy walking distance. Covent Garden markets are close by (which my husband might say was a negative as Francie and I managed to spend so much money there !!)
I would highly recommend this hotel and on future visits to London I will certainly stay here.

Thank you Grace for helping to make our stay in London so delightful.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Grace L, Manager at The Fielding Hotel, responded to this review, October 18, 2012
We are really thrilled you enjoyed your stay with us and thank you for your lovely review, I have also passed your compliments to Housekeeper, she and the team work very, very hard to keep us clean and tidy and are our unsung heros!
Newcastle, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

We had a lovely stay here. We stayed for one night and were able to store our luggage for 3 nights while out of London, and then stayed 3 more nights. The location is great, the water hot and the bed comfortable. Most important the service was excellent and Grace couldn't have been more helpful and welcoming.
I would definitely recommend this hotel over others I have stayed at in London.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Grace L, Manager at The Fielding Hotel, responded to this review, October 15, 2012
Thank you so much for this great review and we are really glad you enjoyed your time with us....it was a pleasure to welcome you here!
Preston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

As with Molly and Izzi (see review below) we also found The Fielding hotel and staff both charming and delightful.

My niece and I stayed for two nights and picked the hotel for it's location and the fact that it was different. Yes we had a twin room on the top floor and yes we had to carry our own bags (there isn't a lift), but we were expecting this as we had reviewed the hotel prior to booking.....and it really wasn't any hardship. We really didn't miss a restaurant service in the hotel as due to the superb location you are not short of your pick of excellent cafes/bars/eateries (and we tried a few!!).

We had a twin room and we (well I) was a little concerned over the lack of space, it's been a while since I slept in a single but I needn't have worried as the bed was so comfortable and the temperature in room was perfect. The bathroom was compact (although the shower wasn't - how did they manage that bit of magic?) but spotless and we appreciated the four bath towels and what seemed like a months supply of toiletries, the toothbrush and toothpaste was a lovely touch.

We have to mention the team (including the now famous Grace), you all made us feel welcome and couldn't haven't have been more helpful, especially the night staff (who lent us a corkscrew and then allowed my niece to print off her boarding card for the return flight home).

Thank you Grace, your team and your hotel added to our enjoyment of our trip.

PS Grace we wanted to ask you, were you/are you a dancer as you certainly had the poise and grace (no pun intended) of one!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
On behalf of the whole team we would like to say a big thankyou for all your lovely comments and we are so pleased we enhanced your trip to London.... (ps I did ballet for quite a few years, what a lovely compliment! Thank you.)
Stroud, Gloucestershire, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2012

I booked a twin room for a post-23rd birthday getaway with my twin sister. The minute we arrived I knew this charming little hotel was the right place for us to chill out and enjoy the pleasures and culture of Covent Garden! It really is, and I'd count it one of the said pleasures too!

Our room was LUSH. The minute my sister put her head round the door the first thing she said was "Oh it's LOVELY! It's lovely!". She was so pleased! Her and me both!

We had comfortable beds with a HUGE LCD television, a snug and elegant "study" area and a simple, but spotless bathroom. We truly enjoyed lounging around and sprucing up before heading out for dinner and an evening watching the magnificent 'Warhorse'. The New London Theatre is literally 5 minutes away, so the Fielding is perfect for anyone going to see this fantastic play! Not only that but Covent Garden is right outside the front door. You'll be spoilt for choice on places to eat and drink and shop!

Because the Fielding isn't a B&B you won't get breakfast here, so let me recommend NOTES, a barista coffee shop just down the road and opposite the Film Museum. My sister and I had almond croissants and chocolate + banana muffins TO DIE FOR, and some of the best coffee I've ever tasted. If you're stuck for dinner don't miss out on WILDWOODS restaurant and grill, which is literally opposite the Royal Opera House. You'd be a fool to pass them by!

More on the Fielding itself: extra-generous freebies, including toothpaste and slippers; FOUR lovely fresh white bathsheets; full length mirrors, perfect for checking yourself over before heading out! The only thing we found a little irritating was the fan in our room, as it made quite a bit of noise, but it didn't wake us up-so I'm not complaining!

We didn't see much of the staff because we spent most of our time exploring Covent Garden, but when we did encounter people at reception they were lovely, smiley, social and polite. Courteous and friendly staff are a blessing anywhere you go!

I paid £168 for one night in the twin room. Normally I wouldn't pay this much for one night's stay in a hotel, but since this hotel is in such a superior location and it's lightyears from Travelodge I was happy to pay this amount just for this one special occassion. I would definitely come again!

All in all the Fielding rocks! Thanks everyone at the Fielding for a lovely stay! It made our little trip to London perfect! Molly & Izzi from Gloucestershire X

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Grace L, Manager at The Fielding Hotel, responded to this review, October 8, 2012
Thank you so much for this totally charming review! There is so much good information for any future guests as well and we are really pleased you had such a great time in Covent Garden and with us too.

Been to The Fielding Hotel? Share your experiences!