“Not Impressed” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Alhambra Hotel

You added Alhambra Hotel to your Saves list
Alhambra Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   17-19 Argyle Street | Kings Cross, London WC1H 8EJ, England (Bloomsbury)   |
Ranked #236 of 1,049 Hotels in London
Certificate of Excellence 2014
San Francisco
“Not Impressed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

The Good: Hotel Alhambra is right across from the Kings Cross train station.

Now on to the BAD… the trains run almost all night and you know this because of the close proximity to the station, you hear and FEEL the trains ALL NIGHT! Do NOT, I repeat DO NOT stay here if you are a light sleeper!!! BTW, did I mention do NOT stay here if you are a light sleeper.

The front desk staff was ok. The older woman was friendly enough. The young gentleman at the front desk seemed a little impatient as though he didn’t want to be bothered.

My room was in a small building across the street . They offered to bring my bags to my room. When I go t to my building and saw the staircase to my room, I saw why: the staircase was like a death trap! The gentleman didn’t bring my bag over with me. A legal observation: this is definitely a liability waiting to happen.

When I came out of my room later, I saw my luggage just sitting outside in the hall by my door. Guess I’m lucky no one took it since they didn’t even knock to let me know it was there.

The room was old and small. It looked like they ‘may’ have remodeled it 10 years ago because it was not ancient looking but definitely NOT modern!!! The carpet was dingy which is always a bad sign to me. The bathroom was TINY and the TINY shower drained slow like it was clogged!

There was a whole in the window with this little built in fan which I guess keeps fresh air coming in, but you can’t close it so cold air came in the entire time, which defeated the wall radiator heater. I also smelled cigarette smoke from the people next door to me who I presume were coming outside to smoke or were smoking in their rooms and the smell just seeped through.

My pics are attached: angel_esq.

I guess this is a lesson of you get what you pay for: but for almost $200 America, I’d expect a little more. I paid less than that for my hotels in Amsterdam and Paris on this same trip and received a WHOLE lot more!

No, I wont be going back.

Room Tip: Not a good hotel if you need/like sleep or have large luggage.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
alham1974, Manager at Alhambra Hotel, responded to this review, January 18, 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your recent feedback. We appreciate your comments.
We are sorry if we have not met your expectations on this occasion but we do try hard.
We offer a great LOCATION. Iam afraid in Central London the rooms are nor large in most hotels but we offer a CLEAN, BRIGHT and MODERN Rooms together with a generous BREAKFAST and a SERVICE second to none.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (243)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Sao Paulo, SP
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

The location is great.

We were in 3 and had a room with 3 single beds, there were no space to leave our luggage, one of them were outside the room in the entrance hall. Bathroom is tiny as well.

Good breakfast and staff can help if you ask.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
Port Macquarie Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

We stayed at this London Hotel for six nights over Christmas. The staff were all delightful. Nothing was too much trouble and an atmosphere of friendliness plus courtesy prevailed. Rooms were clean and comfortably furnished. Breakfast was comprehensive and always delicious and served with a smile.we would highly recommend this establishment .

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

Our second stay and just as perfect as the first time. Fabulous location, helpful efficient staff, immaculately clean, excellent breakfast. Small rooms but comfortable and with everything you need. Excellent value.

• Stayed January 2013
Lancaster, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

Well-maintained, well-run, exceptionally clean and friendly. Good breakfast, wi-fi and a small table to work at - ideal for those studying in the area and needing no frills. I don't understand the one or two critical comments - these people must have been expecting something different. Hard to imagine a better budget stay in the area.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Nottingham, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

The Alhambra Hotel came highly recommended on tripadvisor so I booked a couple of nights for a recent trip to London. The hotel is on Argyle Street which is directly opposite the Euston Road entrance to St Pancras train station so it was only a 5 minute walk. Kings Cross is not a pretty place and Argyle Street is no exception so I was greatly relieved to find that the hotel is modern, well maintained and welcoming, phew! The reception (open 24 hours) staff are very friendly and efficient. The hotel is small but the rooms are no smaller than many larger places. I was very impressed with my single en suite which had everything I needed (including free wifi). Breakfast was in the basement and was probably the best I've had in a hotel for years (much better than the buffet style food in larger hotels), it was cooked to order with very friendly staff. Best of all was the price, I paid £179 for 2 nights B&B which is remarkable for central London.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business
Bielefeld, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

We really enjoyed our stay at the Alhambra Hotel. Extremely friendly staff throughout the hotel, very good breakfast, clean rooms, very good choice for people on a budget! We will definitely stay here again the next time we're in London!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Alhambra Hotel? Share your experiences!