“Excellent location, kind hosts, yummy breakfast!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Alhambra Hotel

You added Alhambra Hotel to your Saves list
Alhambra Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   17-19 Argyle Street | Kings Cross, London WC1H 8EJ, England (Bloomsbury / Holborn)   |
Ranked #247 of 1,066 Hotels in London
Singapore, Singapore
“Excellent location, kind hosts, yummy breakfast!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2011

I stayed with Alhambra last year 2010 June. We are a group of 5. So my friends and I were split among ourselves. 3 of them stayed in the opposite block of the hotel, and 2 stayed in the same block as the main reception. The breakfast served was so good! We were all filled to our brims everyday with cereal and english breakfast.

My friend left her camera at the breakfast table, and around 1 hour later we realise her camera is there. We rushed back and the owner has kept the camera for us! Excellent and honest people! Also, the location is great because it is the central location for majority of the metro lines and even the airport express to gatwick airport. Overall, this was such a great place to stay. The only bad gripe is probably the room isn't that big, and we had to share bathroom and toilet. But the toilets and bathroom are all very clean. Beds are clean and comfortable to sleep!

Room Tip: Choose rooms that come with ensuite bathrooms if possible. If travelling in a group try to let them...
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (226)
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2011

We were given a very, very small room and bath in the annex across the street from the main hotel and restaurant. It is definitely budget but it did have a tea/coffee maker in the room which we appreciated. The included hot and to order breakfast was wonderful and started our day off great. We picked the hotel in part because it was close to the EuroStar station which we could easily roll our luggage to when we departed London. It is a fine place to sleep if you do not plan to hang out in the room much.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2011

I stayed here for a week on business. The rate cannot be beat in London, especially considering how clean it is and how accommodating the staff is. This is a family run enterprise, and it is clear they are proud of what they do. When I arrived at around 8am, after a very long and gruelling flight, Martine, the matriarch, was so kind to have them clean my room so that I could rest a bit.

My room was across the street from the main part of the hotel in what they call the "annex." This is new to them and they were finishing painting some of the windows. The rooms are small. Mine was a single with a bed, small closet, desk area, full length mirror and a COMPACT bath. Though it was very tiny, it was all i needed. After all, I'm there to see London, not sit in my hotel room.

The breakfast is served in the lower level of the main building and was very good. It is proudly prepared by the patriarch, Francesco. When you arrive for breakfast, they quickly seat you, sometimes at a table with other guests, which I enjoy. You can chose between the continental breakfast of cereal, toast, orange juice, coffee or tea, fruit, and croissant. Or, the full english, with banger, two rashers, fried tomato, an egg (prepared to request), toast, orange juice, and tea or coffee. I tried both, varying from day to day, and both were nice. I asked or my english without the tomato, they are happy to accommodate.

The neighbourhood is perfect. I was able to quickly jump on several tube lines, and the Picadilly line goes straight to Heathrow. I was conducting business at the Wellcome Trust, which is just down the street, as is the British Museum. I walked to the British Museum and other sights. There are also GREAT pubs and nice restaurants in the area. I prefer places populated by locals and found several, including a little pub around the corner (nothing to write home about, but full of locals.)

For around £80 a night, i couldn't beat the deal and the friendliness. I look forward to staying with them again. The only thing I will request in the future is that they show me my check out price in pounds instead of US Dollars. They were trying to be helpful, and I should have asked to see it in pounds, but i didn't. Since I reserved in pounds, and knew what the agreed fee was, it was hard for me to quickly convert it in my head. it nagged me until I sat down and calculated it out. The fee was fine, but for me it would have been easier in pounds.

Room Tip: request one ensuite if you don't want to share a shower and toilet.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Dundee, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2011

This is a small budget hotel and travellers need to be aware that it won't match up to the room sizes of the chain hotels. However it's in a very good location (walking distance to everything we wanted to do on this visit). It's also spotlessly clean, which is not always the case with some of the older Bloomsbury/Kings Cross hotels and B&Bs. Also the furniture and bathroom fittings all looked new and spotless. Cooked breakfast was fine and service was polite and helpful. This is the place to stay for a night or two if you just want to fall off the train and into a comfortable and very clean bed! If you're looking for spa/luxury facilities, or if you are a very large person, then this is not for you.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
Crediton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2011

I stayed the night here after going to a concert at Scala (which is only a couple of minutes' walk up the road). The hotel was spotlessly clean, the staff courteous and efficient. The room was pretty small (double bed was pushed against one wall) but fine for one person (or two who don't mind intimacy!).

Shower room was clean and reasonably spacious - my only criticisms would be (a) there was toilet cleaner still in the toilet when I arrived and (b) there's a shelf above the basin that is in just the right place to hit your head!! I managed not to do that but I can imagine if you were not paying attention you'd collect a few bruises... If the shelf was moved to the right of the mirror there'd be no risk of concussion...!

I slept ok, the pillows were really comfy and the mattress was fine, but I personally would prefer a duvet to sheets and blankets (that's only personal opinion of course). I woke up quite early because I was sleeping lightly and heard someone walking downstairs (the stairs were right next to the room). But you couldn't hear any noise from outside, which makes a nice change. Plus, the windows actually open - how nice not to be trapped in a sealed box with air conditioning!

Breakfast was very good, my only comment would be please could the staff offer brown or white toast instead of automatically bringing white. Hooray for breakfast being included in the price!

Overall I would definitely recommend this place as somewhere comfortable, reliable and relatively inexpensive to spend the night. The location is excellent too, right opposite Kings Cross tube.

Room Tip: Double room with ensuite shower is fairly small and you might hear people walking up and down the st...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Edmonton, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2011

Given that 2 stars means "poor" a rating of 2.5 seems fair. Our 2.5 is based on our room which was a twin, very small, with almost no room to move given our luggage. Having stayed in London many times this was not a 3* "average" hotel. The room was clean, and furnished simply. The hotel is strange given the multiple doors leading to rooms - our room was the only one on its floor. The place had the feeling of being cobbled together. The hotel is perfunctory at best, adequate breakfast room with staff serving you a fixed plate of English breakfast or continental. We stayed 2 nights, had breakfast, which was not lavish but adequate. We stayed here because of the access to Eurostar - but would not stay here or in this area on our future trips. It is dead at night and short on good restaurants. Hotel staff were capable but distant - short on social skills.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Norfolk, VA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2011

As budget accommodation it's not at all bad. We stayed in a double room with shared bathroom and showers for a very reasonable price, especially as it included a cooked breakfast. If you're unsure about sharing facilities, this is not the option for you as both bathroom and shower are on a separate floor so there is a little walk in your towel each morning. The room was very small but utterly clean.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Alhambra Hotel? Share your experiences!