“Great value for an overnight stay.” 4 of 5 stars

You added Ruskin Bed & Breakfast to your Saves list
Ruskin Bed & Breakfast
23-24 Montague Street, London WC1B 5BN, England (Bloomsbury)   |
Ranked #556 of 1,049 Hotels in London
“Great value for an overnight stay.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2013 via mobile

The staff here could teach a thing or two to the bigger hotels in the area.

Room had a shared bathroom but that was made clear on booking and basin in the room was therefore a bonus.

Nice breakfast included in the price which makes this a real bargain.

Why pay double or more elsewhere if you are only staying overnight.

• Stayed November 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
Edmonton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2013

When I booked this room for a short two day stay in London, I was first a bit leery because I couldn't find it on trip advisor… and who books anything without trip advisor!!! There are other Ruskin Hotels, but somehow I didn't find this until now.

I booked pretty last minute (within 2 days), and the price for the location is absolutely unbeatable. I even questioned that as well, but took a chance. Once I arrived I realized I had completely lucked out. The hotel is right across the street from the British Museum, and within a block of the University of London. On the same street (as in right next door) you will find a boutique hotel that will cost you 4x / night. That said, next door to the other side, you also have what appeared to be a multi-bed/room hostel that probably is less expensive. I was more than happy.

The stay includes breakfast, which I was only able to enjoy once. It is simple, but served on the lower level with lots of space.

The location can't be beat. There are three tube stops, and 2 lines close by (Russel, Holborn & Tottenham Ct Rd), but you can easily walk all the way to Buckingham palace if you like. Oxford street is well walkable with plenty of shopping. You are also very close to SOHO with a number of theatres and various night life.

My room was a single bed on floor 2.5 (I had to laugh), with a shared bathroom. The room was clean and bed comfortable. The bathroom and shower were both modern and very clean. The hotel provided a towel. The water was hot and pressure ample in the shower. The staff was friendly and helpful.

I have absolutely nothing but good things to say about this hotel and would stay there again in an instant. Do note the cancellation policy - If you try to cancel on short notice you will pay for the stay, but I think that's very reasonable in this case. They told me that if you cancel a week ahead, there is no charge - but don't quote me on that, be sure to check the details of your reservation.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Cerritos, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

This hotel is located in the heart of London, across the street from the British Museum and a quick 10 minute walk from the Russell Tube station. Being so close to this tube stop allows you to be at any of the landmark tourist attractions in no time at all. Also, there are shops, restaurants, and a Tesco Market near by. The cost per night is unbeatable for the location.

The staff at this hotel is amazing. From the guy at the front desk, to the cleaning staff, down o the staff in the breakfast room...all amazing.

My sister and I stayed here for three nights in a twin room. While our room was spotless, the
furniture and decor was tired and worn and a bit depressing. I had to continue to remind myself
what a great value it was. There is no way I could have stayed in th same area without paying almost double. The shared bathroom was very modern in decor and spotless.

I'm not 100% sure that I would book this hotel again. Understanding that when you travel to a city
like London, the goal isn't to spend lots of time in your room, but the room should feel
comfortable.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

Really lovely family run place. Great value considering the location. Very helpful and accommodating staff. Would definitely recommend this place to anyone travelling to London either frequently or for the first time

• Stayed September 2013
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

My daughter and I spent two wonderful weeks with the Ruskin B&B as our main base, while we traveled to outlying destinations periodically. Located directly across from the British Museum, with two great relaxing shady parks at either end of the street, it was infinitely convenient to everything in London. Our transportation to everywhere we wanted to go was right across the street. The B&B is relaxed with a very informal atmosphere. The staff were not only considerate, kind and informative, they were an absolute pleasure to do business with. We were lucky to receive one of the double bed in suite rooms (means we had our own shower & toilet) with a lovely overview of luscious green gardens and chirping birds. The wifi service extended to our room from the main lounge. The lounge was a bit dated, but comfortable with a large flat screen TV. The linens were great and soap was provided daily. The breakfast was a traditional eggs,bacon/sausage, beans, tomatoes and toast. Cereal, tea, coffee and juices were also offered. I would definitely stay here again as our main base while traveling in the London area. A gem of a find! I would highly recommend it to anyone I knew traveling to London.

Room Tip: As it was in the middle of a heat wave, the rooms in the rear were considerably cooler facing the ga...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Radom, Poland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

The hotel has really good location, it's next to the British Museum. It's situated in tradicional victorian house and it's quite nice. The staff was friendly and helpful. Only breakfast was a bit monotonous but that's probably normal in England.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Memphis, Tennessee
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

First the bad: While we gave 6 days notice that we had to cancel our last night, we were refunded only 80 of our 130 pounds for our family room. The lift was out our entire 5 night stay, and it seems to have been so for a while. Finally, while our reservation indicated that toiletries were provided, they weren't, so bring your own. Now the good: Great location - literally beside the British Museum, which is perfect for several one-hour visits whenever the urge strikes. Russell Square is a beautiful area, with a convenient Tube stop, markets and restaurants. The same staff member was at the front desk throughout our stay (does he ever sleep?!?!?!) and he was very friendly and helpful, providing us with biscuits and juice when our departure time was too early for the full English breakfast (7:30-9:15). The breakfast is made to order, and a great addition to the comfortable, relatively large rooms. Our room had a view overlooking a lovely garden. The bathroom was a welcome sight after putting up with much smaller versions in our last two hotels. It is not a luxury hotel, but overall exceeded my expectations, with the exception that it ended up costing us more than we bargained for because we only received a partial refund for the last night.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Been to Ruskin Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!