“Not the best” 2 of 5 stars
Review of King's Cross Hotel

You added King's Cross Hotel to your Saves list
King's Cross Hotel
2.0 of 5 Small Hotel   |   60 Argyle Street, London WC1H 8ER, England (Bloomsbury)   |
Ranked #341 of 524 London B&B and Inns
Lincoln, United Kingdom
“Not the best”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

We booked this hotel for an overnight stay following a party last weekend; we weren't expecting much, just a cheap bed. And that was mostly what we got. However, some basic problems:

* They tried to get us the pay in cash, never a good sign. And added an additional/unexpected 3% charge for the use of card. Not the best sort of customer service!

* Shower in the room was lukewarm; it took several minutes to get up to any sort of temperature and was only a dribble.

* We went down to breakfast in the morning to be greeted by *another guest* who explained there was a "problem with breakfast". We sat for a bit and eventually someone appeared and shuffled around in the kitchen, before bringing us out a plate of cold beans and toast - and eventually a couple of fried eggs. With no explanation at all. It was pretty ridiculous... I don't think I know a single person who is unable to cook baked beans!

The lack of communication was bad.

However; the bed was fine, the room (# 10) clean (small, but we expected that) and the rest of the hotel was fine.

If you want a "bed for the night" then this is a reasonable option. But don't expect any form of service.

Room Tip: Room 10, second floor, is good. Some of the rooms on the first floor appear to be smaller with a s...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Canterbury, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

I booked this room through hotel.com because it is an independent business where I was hoping to get a more personal touch to my experience. I like to support self made establishments rather than going for the chain companies - big mistake in this case! It didnt begin well, we arrived in a narrow reception area to check in. Whilst we waited for our room to be 'prepared' (bearing in mind we arrived 2 hours after first check in time, you would think the room should already be clean and ready) we heard the man checking us in spraying the room with air freshner - alarm bells began to ring. We were then taken down a narrow staircase, I was helped with my bags only after he saw me struggling to manovre round the corners; did I mention he was talking to somebody on the phone the whole time he was leading us to our room and 'showing us round'? ,.. I would like to say it got better - wrong - The shower/toilet was unclean and incredibly small, I expect you could have a shower sitting down. It stunk of air freshner and dust, the paint was marked and patchy in places, the general standard and maintence of the entire room was appaling! The pictures online are very misleading which is one of the remarks I made on my way out, I was shown another room which was better. I was then told that downstairs was being refurbished at which point I replied then you either shouldnt be putting customers in there or it should be at a reduced price. I was declined a refund despite the fact I had been in the room under 10 minutes - the time it took me to book into a hotel of much better standard at the same price - It was actually clean! DO NOT STAY HERE EVEN IF YOU ARE DESPERATE!! THE STREET WOULD BE BETTER

Room Tip: Just avoid staying here! You will not get a good service all the rooms are tiny. AVOID!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Newry, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012

In truth, it was Jubilee weekend but seriously £100 for what I believe is the same room that Endless Trekker and Garry Hunter was totally unjustified. The shower area inside the pokey toilet was awful - piant peeling off the celing because the mould was everywhere. The bed was comfortable and the room relatively clean but the bedclothes had stains on them and I wasn't impressed. And when you expect a proper breakfast, especially given the price, and get a fried egg and toast, then you know you made a mistake. Sorry, at that price, I expect a lot more and I won't be back. It's basically just somewhere to crash if you can get it at a cheap rate but anything else, then forget it.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Plymouth, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2012

Garry_Hunter - I think we stayed in the same room as you did, the crusty shower and curtained-off section rang a bell!

My partner booked this room through Laterooms.com and, when we checked in, he was charged more than was originally stated. We descended a very narrow staircase to our room which, to be fair, was very tidy with beautiful bed linen, but the stains on the walls were pretty unpleasant. There was a curtained-off alcove (which I found kind of charming!) next to the room containing a mini-fridge, a clothes rail and a very minimal tea/coffee tray, plus the door to the ensuite 'bathroom' which turned out to be a tiny room holding a clean toilet and the filthiest shower I've ever seen. Manky tiles, a mouldy ceiling and a rusty soapdish, the works! If it hadn't been so hot, I don't think I'd have braved using the thing!

We were disturbed three times by an alarm on our first morning and again at 5:30am on the second morning - I went out to see what was going on and the only person in sight was a hapless member of staff on a stepladder, trying frantically to turn the alarm off. I couldn't get back to sleep for fear of missing checkout time and we didn't even get an explanation as to why the alarm kept going off. The noise from people walking about upstairs was also so bad they might as well have been in the room with us.

We were in London for a festival and to celebrate our anniversary so didn't really require anything too luxurious, just a place to sleep when the fun was over, but I honestly couldn't recommend this place to anyone. The Fawlty Towers experience might be funny on TV, but it made our happy weekend pretty stressful.

Room Tip: My tip? Find a different hotel!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Edinburgh, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

We needed somewhere to stay in central London, and this was a perfect location and a reasonable price, so we were quite happy with it. Here's the detail, just for information:
We had an ensuite double room. The bed was pushed up against the wall as the room was so small. The matress was poor quality and we rolled in to the middle of it all the time during the night. However the room and bathroom were very clean, and looked recently refurbished. In fact, they still had the workmen in redecorating the hall when we arrived, so we had to watch out for the wet paint. The breakfast was a bit disappointing (a fried egg and a handful of baked beans). The staff however were very pleasant.
Broadly speaking as long as bear the above in mind, it's a perfectly acceptable place to stay, having said that I don't think we'll be back there ourselves, as we didn't get much sleep because of the matress.

Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Paris
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 1, 2012

Even if easytobook has done a mistake by not precising that the reservation was made for a basic room (no shower inside) while we have requested it , the Owner of the hotel has accepted to give us a room with shower (Easytobook is responsible for this misunderstanding and we still don't understand why the hotel had to pay for that !!!)
finally , the hotel was a good compromise : location/price. And the service was perfect.
Thanks also to the nice lady that had prepared our breakfast every day.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Ljubljana, Slovenia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2012

I spent 6 days in this hotel. I was very satisfied. Moreover I was surprised since I read only negativity about hotel. But, I find different picture: staff are very gently and always ready to help; they provided me everything I needed. Room was clean when I arrived, and also every day some made it clean – whenever I come back to room in the evening it was clean and thing were placed in nice order. I felt like that I have a servant. Everything I needed I had in a room: fridge, hair dryer, internet, equipment for making tee, trough. I had shared bathroom, but I can say just that it was always clean and I never waited for my order to use it. Breakfast – it is nice continental, since I am vegetarian I mostly combined my things with what we got for breakfast. Reception was open 24 h. For money I paid, I was very satisfied, and since this hotel has 2 stars – it is not for expect some extra luxury. It is almost in the center of town, and everything is close.

Martina

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business

Been to King's Cross Hotel? Share your experiences!