“Convenience and luxury” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hilton London Paddington

You added Hilton London Paddington to your Saves list
Hilton London Paddington
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   146 Praed St, London W2 1EE, England (Paddington / Maida Vale)   |
Special Offer
Book Direct for Free Wifi
Ranked #394 of 1,049 Hotels in London
Huntingdon, United Kingdom
“Convenience and luxury”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2009

I had a reasonable idea of what to expect from this hotel having stayed at other 4-star properties in London, but this was by far the best one yet - plush public areas, friendly and courteous staff, and somewhat unusually for London, surprisingly large rooms! Mine was a standard double, but had every luxury I needed - flat-screen TV, full en-suite, mini-bar, music system, minibar, ironing board/iron, tea/coffee making facilities (including a coffee percolator!) and air-conditioning.

Don't be put off by the fact that it is actually part of the station building - I never once thought that I was anywhere other than in a luxury hotel, and ended up having a thoroughly enjoyable stay - I'd have no hesitation in returning again.

Tip - if you go room-only and need breakfast, a good alternative to the hotel is a pub called the Mad Bishop and Bear, which is just inside Paddington station... a full English and orange juice came to just over £5.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (357)
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Bainbridge Island, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2009

A good, international-standard business hotel. No problems, no complaints. Very good buffet in the Executive Lounge for both breakfast and evening cocktails. But the main selling point is that it is only an escalator ride away from the Heathrow trains, which could be worth the earth to a jet-lagged traveler.

Chicago, IL
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2009

My wife and I stayed here for two nights in May 2009. We chose the hotel due to it's location as we had an early morning flight to catch upon our departure. This hotel's only saving grace is the location. They know that they can treat customers like dirt tonight and still get bookings next week. My guess is that business travelers may come back because of the proximity to the airport train but that leisure guests do not return.

We had booked a King Junior Suite. Our flight arrived late on a Friday night. When we checked in we were told, with much fanfare, that we had been upgraded to a Queen Hilton Suite. This was a nice touch and we were off to what seemed to be a solid start!

When we arrived in the room it was small, very hot, and had an odd layout. The living room was a windowless interior room with no TV. It did have an awkward tiny half bathroom. The bedroom area was cramped. It had a queen sized bed that was tucked in from wall to wall. There was little room to get in and out of the bed and nowhere to set your suitcases. The windows looked into a light shaft with no view.

Was this really one of their best suites as the check in agent had explained? How was this considered an upgrade? I tried to make the best of the situation but after 15 minutes the room had shown no signs of cooling down. I called the front desk.

I explained that I would like to be moved back to the king suite that we had booked. The agent was extremely rude. He told me that there was no way he could move me and that we had not paid for that type of room. He then went on a rant about how the King suite was three floors tall and that we would have to pay another $100 pounds to move. I believed that he had misunderstood me so I asked him to look up our booking information.

When he looked at the reservation he acknoledged that we had reserved and paid for a King junior suite and so he then changed his statement to "there is no guarantee when you book" and you have to take what is available when you check in.

Apparently his manager overheard the conversation and finally jumped in to solve our problem. He immediately offered to move us to another room. This room had a wal of windows that faced the street and therefore was much cooler despite the A/C not working properly. Although it was just one large room there was a sitting area with plenty of room to set our luggage and it was much better.

I found some other odd things considering it is a full service Hilton. There was no concierge on duty Friday or Saturday. Our room service order came up ice cold. The mattress was extremely firm with springs poking my wife as she rolled. As previoully stated the A/C was intermittent at best.

I urge you to pick another hotel in the area.

Aus
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2009

Everything was sensational here, staff great, breakfast fantastic, super location only negative the room was stuffy and despite the engineers looking at the a/c it still didnt cool the room down.

Crystal Bay, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2009

I stayed in this hotel in mid-May 2009. If you are flying to London, you can reach the hotel via the Heathrow Express very easily. The train stops at Paddington Station which, as the hotel name implies, is the location of this Hilton. In fact, you can gain access to the lobby directly from the train station. We took a side trip to Bath. The train to that town also departs from the same station. Going anywhere in London is a snap since the famed London subway ("The Underground") is also entered from the same place. Now, onto the hotel... I've stayed in many London hotels, but this one takes the cake from roominess and cleanliness perspectives. I stayed in a double and both beds fit nicely with plenty of room to spare. The only negative comment I can add is that they still charge for Internet access (Euro 15) for 24 hr. access. These days, most of the nicer hotels provide net access free to their guests. Nonetheless, the hotel was well worth the $$$ and I will gladly stay there again the next time I visit London.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2009

Perfect location for a solo woman traveler - connected to Paddington Station. I took the Heathrow express train which took 15 minutes, walked to the escalator and I was there. Lots of food and beverage choices at the Station and the hotel restaurant was good too. Free breakfast every morning! I took the Tube or bus everywhere - both just steps from this hotel. I would definitely return.

My room was large, very clean and had all the amenities including a soaking tub!

Queensland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2009

I was most impressed with the convenience of this hotel. Arriving on the Heathrow Express, I did not need to leave the station and was able to take a lift directly to the Hotel without having to lift my heavy suitcase once. They kindly gave me a quiet room off the main corridor probably because my booking was for 7 nights. The room was very large, bed extremely comfortable, large fluffy towels and Crabtree & Evelyn products. Perhaps having to step into a deep bath to take a shower was the only downside. My rate included an excellent breakfast and it was possible to buy a voucher for dinner at reception which reduced the cost of the three course meal by 5 pounds. All in all - a first class experience.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled solo

Been to Hilton London Paddington? Share your experiences!