“Great rooms and good location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Bloomsbury Hotel London

You added The Bloomsbury Hotel London to your Saves list
The Bloomsbury Hotel London
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   16-22 Great Russell Street, London WC1B 3NN, England (Bloomsbury / Holborn)   |
Ranked #35 of 1,065 Hotels in London
Dunblane, United Kingdom
“Great rooms and good location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

First of all Bloomsbury is in my opinion the best area to stay in London. It is convenient for everything including the West End, Covent Garden, the Embankment and a huge number of other attractions but still relatively peaceful. The Bloomsbury Hotel is itself just a two minute walk to the British Museum and has been the subject of a recent refurbishment which really shows in the rooms and public areas.

I booked a superior room on the 4th Floor which was spacious and extremely well equipped with quality furnishings and fittings. The bathroom although small was beautifully finished and had underfloor heating. Everywhere you look in this hotel you will see the original woodwork and glass a treat for those interested in design and architecture.

The check in service and staff are on the whole very welcoming, friendly and efficient. There is someone on hand to help with luggage and taxi reservations and the concierge was helpful with directions, restaurant bookings etc. The bar in the foyer area is lovely and the service there also very good. It is a lovely venue for afternoon tea.

So why not excellent? Breakfast was included in the room rate that I got. The breakfast room, main bar and restaurant are all on the lower ground floor and although a lot of money has been spent on these areas it still feels a bit dark and soulless. What little natural light might be available is effectively ruined by the shutters.

Breakfast itself is an area where the hotel really needs to think again. The cold buffet is fine-plenty to choose from and mostly very good quality. The cooked options are made to order which would be okay if they could do this to a good standard in a reasonable amount of time. On none of my three visits was the breakfast area particularly busy but service of a cooked option took at least twenty minutes. On our last morning after 20 minutes the waitress informed me that they had run out of my order-waffles?- I declined to order anything else mainly because of time. After a further 10 minutes my Mother's scrambled egg and smoked salmon had still not arrived and we left as we had a taxi to catch. If the breakfast area had been busy I would have understood this but there could not have been more than half a dozen tables in at the time.

In summary this is a very good hotel in a great area but if you are a stickler for breakfast then you might be better off at one of the Radissons along the road.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Beccy G, Management at The Bloomsbury Hotel London, responded to this review, October 12, 2012
Thank you for posting such an honest review on the hotel following your recent visit to London. I am delighted that you enjoyed your experience with us but would like to apologise for the breakfast service. We always try to not only listen to our guests but also act on the comments made and are at present introducing new items to the breakfast buffet such as porridge to assist with our offering alongside streamlining our cooked offering to ensure that we are able to meet service times and therefore ensure all guests are serviced promptly and efficiently. I do hope that when you are back in London next time we will be able to tempt you down to breakfast and restore your faith in us. I personally look forward to welcoming yourself and your mother back to the Bloomsbury in the future and if I can be of any assistance please do not hesitate to contact me on beccy_gunn@doylecollection.com.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (216)
  • Finnish first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
New Forest South England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

It was our first time to the Bloomsbury ,a friend had recommend it to us ,so pleased she did .
From the moment we arrived the service didn't stop coming ,but discreet .
our room was well appointed, comfortable bed ,plenty of towels,nespresso coffee machine in the rooms fresh milk instantly available.
Nice touch was on return from our evening out, our clothes had been tided and the bathroom fully serviced as well as the bed turned back .
The breakfast buffet; I could not think of one more ingredient /item that was not on offer it was internationally caterered for and beautifully presented

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Beccy G, Management at The Bloomsbury Hotel London, responded to this review, October 11, 2012
Thank you for writing such a lovely review following your recent visit to the hotel. It is always great to read when we meet and indeed exceed the expectation of our guests and I am so pleased that your friend recommended the hotel to you and we were able to help make your visit to London so successful. We all look forward to welcoming you back next time you are in London.
hertfordshire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

we booked to stay at this hotel for an eveing when we arrived we were tolod by Mr Mohammed Zain that our booking was in complete even though i had all my paper work confirming this to be untrue he told us that there were no rooms available even though at the time of booking there were and that we were to go to the Marylebone hotel which is the sister hotel he was not interested in the fact that i had confirmation of our booking and refused to help in anyway we then had to pay for a cab to the Marylebone hotel he did not tell us the address so then my husband had to go back in to get the address when my husband entered Mr Mohammed Zain was on the telephone to Marylebone hotel informing them of our arrival please now go to the Marylebone hotel for review of what came next!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
thank you for posting your review following your recent experience at the hotel. Naturally I am very disappointed to read your comment and would like to assure you that we are taking this very seriously as the enjoyment of our guests is of utmost importance to us. I would very much like to talk to you about this and would kindly ask that you contact me on beccy_gunn@doylecollection.com at your earliest convenience.
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2012

A good, corporate hotel with clean facilities and brisk, efficient desk staff. Hotel room attendants are excellent. When our air-con wasn't working (and the desk had been notified some time before), a staff member appeared for the turn-down service and offered to get a small heater, which was gratefully received.
The big problem was the domestic argument at midnight in the room next door that involved shouting, screaming and eventually the police. My partner and I were pretty shaken by this. It's not something you'd expect from a hotel of this calibre. We had called the desk at the height of the screaming so management must have been aware of the distress of others in nearby rooms. The next morning, I thought that when I mentioned it to the staff, I would be directed to the manager to get a kind word acknowledging my ordeal. But no. Nothing. Just a 'Yes, we heard about that' and a 'I'll tell the manager.' Well, we told three different staff members over three successive mornings, each time to be promised that the manager would get back to us. The manager didn't. Not one word or even a cup of tea from anyone in charge. I know that they aren't responsible for the domestic but it happened in their hotel and as my partner and I were visiting London for a long-overdue holiday, we thought it was pretty poor form that nothing was said. This incident marred an otherwise great holiday in beautiful London.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for posting such an honest review on the hotel following your recent visit to London. Naturally I am very disappointed to read your comments and can only at this stage apologise for our lack of communication with you following the incident that occurred at the hotel. I would very much like to discuss this with you in person and would kindly ask that you contact me at your convenience on beccy_gunn@doylecollection.com.
Worthing, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

Booked a basic room for a one night stay.The room was lovely,with a very comfy bed and everything you need.The toiletries were aromatherapy associates so I had a hard time getting out of the bath as the oils were gorgeous.Its a great location for everything no need for taxis.The staff were the best thing.Everyone was very helpful and friendly especially the lady at breakfast who was in charge.I felt as if my mum was fussing over me it was great.We had the self serve breakfast lots of fresh fruit,bakery items and cold meats an excellent selection.Will Definitely stay here again but will try not to trip up the bedroom step more than once

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Beccy G, Management at The Bloomsbury Hotel London, responded to this review, October 3, 2012
Thank you for writing such a lovely review of the hotel following your recent visit here. I am delighted that you enjoyed the stay and totally agree the Aromatherapy Associates products are just gorgeous. I am also so pleased that you enjoyed breakfast with us and we all look forward to welcoming you back next time you are in London.
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

I stayed here recently after a bad experience a couple of months ago as I was offered a complimentary night as a result. All I can say is how wonderful it was this time round, I was offered an upgraded suite and it was simply gorgeous. The room was absolutely fantastic, huge with the most comfortable bed and the bathroom was extraordinary! Breakfast was delicious too. I am very impressed with how they dealt with a complaint - they followed up with me promptly and professionally. They really made a huge effort to turn a bad experience into a positive one and I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
We are delighted that we were able to turn your negative experience into a positive one and I am so pleased that you will return to us again. It was our pleasure to have you back staying with us and thank you for posting your review. We all look forward to seeing you soon.
Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

Stayed here as was within walking distance to War Horse showing at New London Theatre. Was very pleasantly surprised, from reception area (all comfy welcoming couches, homemade lemonade and fresh water out in jugs) and welcoming front desk staff, to being upgraded immediately to massive suite with enough water and toiletries for 8 people, to quality of bed linen, comfortable beds, quietness of hotel for central london location and all of this for £156 through a last minute.com booking! We loved it. Good power shower and separate bath in room. We didn't have breakfast there as this was a Monday night stay and we had to catch train back to work in am so cannot comment on dining facilities at all, but for a one night stopover, to see a show - was perfect.

Room Tip: We had booked a standard double and were upgraded to a suite. Worth booking online in advance. We we...