“Location, location, location!” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Vandon House Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Vandon House Hotel
You added Vandon House Hotel to your Saves list
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Vandon Street, London SW1H 0AH, England (Westminster / Belgravia)   |
Ranked #744 of 1,065 Hotels in London
Edmonton, Alberta
“Location, location, location!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

My friend and I were looking for a place to stay in London for a couple of days so we could see all of the sites. We looked at hotel, B&B’s, hostels, etc and everything is so expensive there. Lucky for us, we found Vandon House, which really offers affordable accommodation right in the heart of London. The rooms were nice and clean, but nothing extravagant.

The place is owned by a private university in the USA and it operates as a guest house open to the public and a student residence. It was perfect for our needs and it’s located in walking distant to everything! I would stay here again in a heartbeat.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends

Indianapolis, Indiana
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2012

The Vandon House Hotel closed on May 22 (two days after we checked out). It had been sold and we heard from the staff that it would not be reopening as lodging. It was quite convenient to lots of London attractions and we walked nearly everywhere so I would recommend something in this area - though there are few restaurants open for dinner as there are many office buildings nearby and only breakfast and lunch eateries.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2012

Stayed at Vandon House for 2 nights with my sister last summer. As London was our last stop in our 3 week trip around Europe, we learned that a double ensuite room will not cost any less than 100 euros. The Vandon was 95 pounds/night, which was fair considering it is right in the Victoria district and walking distance to many sights.

Pros:
- Big, clean rooms, 24 hr reception, free map
- Close to Underground (St. James Park, Victoria)
- Close to Victoria Train Station
- Walking distance to: Big Ben, Parliament, London Eye, Buckingham Palace, Trafalgar Square
- Quick e-mail response to enquiries
- Free breakfast
- Fair price for accomodation in London

Cons:
- They charge for wifi

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2011

A ten minute walk from Victoria Station, Apollo Theatre, five minutes from Buckingham Palace.......this was an awesome location. It seemed like it was aimed at college students (which we were), but our room was very family friendly. It was rather spacious and the bathroom was nice. The breakfast was typical but nothing to complain about. They also had one of our rooms ready four hours before check in so we were able to drop our bags off!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Leeds, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2011

When I stayed for 3 nights in summer, I'd had a few gripes (see "Nearly." below). When I wrote them gently to the manager, she offered me a complimentary night, which I took in mid-October.
* It is in a terrific location - near plenty of public transport, near to Westminster Abbey, up a very quiet street but that street is off a much busier one, so that returning after dark is not all uncomfortable.
* I had a single room this time, and the bed! Absolutely the most comfortable I've ever slept on. If I could have slipped it into my handbag, I would have.
* The room had a desk, a dresser, a wardrobe, a chair and a basin, as well as the bed. There was a mirror on the dresser, an advantage over the twin I had last time, which had no mirror at all, or not a full length one anyway.
* Having a computer lounge available meant I didn't have to take my netbook, a great advantage as I was only staying the one night and travelling very light.
* The breakfast was pretty grim. Cereals, including a muesli this time. White bread, white croissants, white bagels and white muffins. I didn't mind the tub of marge with a knife in it for all to share and the jar of jam and single spoon - it felt home-like - but the complete absence of protein...... They'd emailed me in advance to warn me there'd be no ham or cheese, not complaining that I didn't know, but it's their absence that makes me say "only for one night" - I would go insane with nothing but carbs for Every Breakfast.
* It being term time, it was a bit noisy. Students doing whatever students do in the night but they did it for a very long time, in fact it was only my trip to the bathroom that seemed to shut them up.

The same impersonal smiles at reception, from 2 different girls. I think it's that I find the most off-putting, somehow; almost I'd rather they were surly, because they beam but don't engage, don't know your name, don't wish you a nice stay or a nice day, just smile without meaning.

It felt much better, now that I knew from past experience what the real internet charges would be, and that they didn't store luggage, and that the lounge was actually the student common room. All that's needed is to make these things clear on the website before people get there.

If I ever have to be up that end of town again for just the one night, I'd definitely book in there but certainly not for a longer stay.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2011

I had to stay one night in London and was looking for reasonably priced accommodation - not easy to find in London! When I emailed Vandon House to inquire about availability, they responded very quickly and professionally. After a couple of emails, I had paid for and reserved a single dorm room for 40 pounds. Great!

I arrived late on a Friday night - around 10pm. The staff person at check in was really friendly. Breakfast started at 7:30am, but I needed to leave the next morning at 7am, so asked if I might be able to grab a banana in the morning and she said that should be fine.

My room was tiny - it's exactly what you'd expect out of a dorm room, but was clean and had a sink, an electric kettle and tea. It faced a busy street but the noise was fine if you closed the window.

The bathroom was down the hall, which was also fine. I didn't get a chance to try out the shower. Had a great night's sleep, went downstairs at 7am to check out and grab that banana. The same woman from the night before disappeared into the kitchen and re-appeared with a bag that contained a chocolate croissant, a regular croissant and two apples - wow!

The location can't be beat - 10 minute walk from both St James Park station (circle line) and Victoria Park Station (express trains to Gatwick airport). I would highly recommend Vandon House for an affordable accommodation in London in a great location.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Denver, Colorado
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2011

The Westminster location was key to getting out to the sights within a very short time of arriving in central London. Bags were tossed in the room and 15 minutes later we were under Big Ben and gawking at Parliament. The rooms are very basic, as they are indeed dorms. We stayed shortly before the students arrived, so rooms filled up just as we were leaving. The shared baths are quite clean and since there weren't any students yet, almost seemed like our own private bath just not ensuite.

Wifi was an expensive 1 euro per 30 minutes, which was a major bummer. But there is a Pizzeria Express one block down that you can leach wifi from. I had some early morning FaceTime sessions from a classic London phone booth near there. Very 21st century classic.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family

Been to Vandon House Hotel? Share your experiences!