“Absolutely Perfect Backpacking Memories” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Clink 261 Hostel

You added Clink 261 Hostel to your Saves list
Clink 261 Hostel
2.0 of 5 Hostel   |   261 - 265 Gray's Inn Road | Kings Cross, London WC1X 8QT, England (Camden / Primrose Hill)   |
Special Offer
Christmas Treat!
Ranked #137 of 663 Specialty Lodging in London
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Absolutely Perfect Backpacking Memories”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

I stayed at Clink261 during June when I decided to head down to see Green Day at the Emirate Stadium. They are brilliantly located across from the main tube station and are a direct link for many train lines too (Euston/St.James/Pancrass)

The rooms are brilliant and are respected by both guest and employees filling you with confidence to leave your things in safe hands.

The staff are the most friendliest people I have ever met in hotels and will bend backwards trying to help out anyone who came to them, They arrange trips and advice people on how to get to see the best sites of the city whilst staying at Clink. They were brilliant in helping me and my friend charge up our phones one night behind the desk as we had let our batteries die out.

The breakfast is a great place to meet people and we meet plenty of wonderful people whilst eating it. It offers the standard breakfast of cereal and toast alongside a hot drink or orange juice, everything to prep yourself for the day ahead. A TV and computer facility downstairs allows you to access the greater outside and is fully operational 24/7/

I would be deffo choice Clink the next time I stay in London and would highly recommend it to anyone else wanting to find a nice place to stay whilst in the city.

Room Tip: I would recommend the more people the better if you are a solo traveller but all facilities allow yo...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
Clink261, Front Office Manager at Clink 261 Hostel, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Hi,

Thanks for such a lovely review.

You put a smile on our faces. It's very nice to read through and know that you had a great experience :)

Come back soon!

The Clink Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Polish first
Fleetwood, England, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here very recently as I needed to be in the city for one day only and was on a strict budget and had passed it on a previous visit and it looked reasonable.

Ask to see the rooms and bathrooms before deciding to stay here as the recepetion area and dining hall are well refurbished and don't really represent the whole experience. At all.

The first point that I have to make is the staff are so friendly and aim to please with the resources they have available so I really can't fault them.

However, at 3am I got up to have a shower because I was so itchy. I returned home with bites all over my body and I can only account this for my stay here. What makes it worse is the fact I couldn't even sleep as people were in and out of the room all night and at one point it began to rain into the room as the ceiling windows were open.

Which brings me to my next point, the heat. In the morning and sat in the lobby it was cool and refreshing, however the bedrooms and bathrooms and pretty much the rest of the hostel are ridiculously hot. I'm not talking warm. I'm talking heat which a tropical bird would feel uncomfortable in.

It's just not for me and I won't be returning. After reading other reviews I really wish I'd have read them as issues they've raised about plug sockets, organisation of rooms and luggage storage etc all need to be addressed.

• Stayed July 2013
Hi,

Thanks for taking your time to leave us a review.

We are pleased to know that, even if you are not really into hostels, you really liked the common areas layout and the helpful staff.

Our recommendation is that you book a private room the next time you stay in a hostel. This way, you won't have people coming in and out the dorm overnight.

Regarding your comments about the room being hot. We apologize for it. As you know, London is not known for being a hot place and the heatwave has affected everyone in the city. When we tried to get spare fans for our dorms, it was too late. All London shops were out of stock!

Regarding your comment about the bites, you would like to know that we are totally clean. Our beds and linen materials are not bug friendly plus we have periodic checks, where the reports have been clean at all times.

Thanks again for your feedback! it's very valuable to us!

The Clink Team
Cape Town Central, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

This is great value for money! It's in a perfect location, it's clean and has a great atmosphere. The best thing about clink was the staff- so friendly and helpful all the time! The only problem was the lack of plug points in most of the dorms, it's tricky trying to charge something when 10 people are sharing two plug points! Other than that I would recommend this in a heartbeat to anyone who is travelling on a budget

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Good central location, moderately priced. Went there for two nights, easy to deal with staff who were helpful for us during our stay in London. The breakfast was good and there is a cool little hangout room downstairs. The other clink has a bar not far away which is also good.
The rooms and hostel in general were also clean and serviceable. it was a little loud being so close to a main road though still recommended.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Ko Chang, Thailand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013 via mobile

Great hostel. Clean room, linen an bathroom,friendly staff, elevator, Great location, left my luggage in the locker room over the weekend no added price.. Safe an sound.
Easy an safe. Definitely recommended. No complaints!!

• Stayed July 2013
Pretoria, South Africa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

This was the second time my Sister in Law and me stayed in Clinck. The friendly staff help us with advise about where to buy a second hand camera (I broke mine). When we went to Edinburgh for 2 days they cept our lagguage in a locked room so that we can travel light. The 4 bedroom was very small, not realy a problem...we used it to sleep in. It was at the back of the building,very quite. The bathrooms an showers were very neat. We enjoyed being among the young people. Martie Lessing South Africa

Room Tip: We slep in a 10 bed room in Edinburgh, when we came in the young people whent out, when we leave in...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Clink261, Reception team at Clink 261 Hostel, responded to this review, July 2, 2013
Thank you very much for spending some time to leave us a review.
We are glad you enjoyed your stay at Clink 261 and you found our staff friendly and the hostel clean.
We hope you will come back soon to London and you will choose us again as your hostel.
Enjoy your travels!

Clink 261 Reception Team
Scotland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2013

I didn't use the kitchen at all or have the breakfast so my review does not include those. If I had the place might have got an extra star but my three stars are based on the room and bathrooms alone.

I stayed in a room for four, two bunk beds and a small sink in a tiny room. This was fine, I just wanted a bed for the night and the people I shared with were really nice. It was clean and the bed was comfortable enough. There are no shelves, cupboards or lockers in the rooms though. Maybe I've just been lucky in the past with the hostels I've stayed in, but there has always been a locked space available in my rooms in the past to keep my bags in when I'm out. The only real space to put bags is under the bunks. Again, this turned out to be fine as I trusted the people in my room but if you ended up in a room with someone a bit dodgy this might not be so great.

I was in a room on the third floor and there are no womens toilets or showers on this level, you have to walk down to the second floor to use a bathroom. Again, for me, no problem, it takes all of 20 seconds to do this but just letting you know in case this is a problem for you. I noticed that the door on the bathroom on the second floor squeeks really loudly so this would probably drive you nuts if you were in the room next to it. The showers were great, powerful and hot and space in each cubicle to dry and dress. The toilets were always clean too.

The staff were friendly enough and on the day you check ou they offer to keep your bags in a secure room for you until later if you want to go out and about for th day without lugging a heavy backpack around.

The locations is great too, five minute walk around the corner from King's Cross Station and from there you have access to the whole city.

Room Tip: Unless they fix the door of the ladies bathroom on the second floor, you probably don't want a r...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Thank you very much for spending some time to leave us your review. It is very detailed and really helpful for us to keep improving our service. We are glad to hear you liked the location and our friendly staff.

London is a beautiful city, but finding big spaces is very difficult! If you go to any budget hostel in the city center you would have more or less the same size of the rooms.
There are no lockers in the rooms but you can use the lockers we have in the lobby, they are free. We are also happy keep the valuables safe with us at reception desk if you don't want to use the lockers.

Thanks for letting us know about the toilet door, our maintenance team is taking care of it!

Hope we will see you again at Clink 261, maybe next time you will get the chance to use our fully equipped and modern kitchen and have your free breakfast in the morning.

Enjoy your travels
261 Reception Team

Been to Clink 261 Hostel? Share your experiences!