“Friendly Family- Run” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Morgan Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Morgan Hotel
Save Saved
You added Morgan Hotel to your Saves list
24 Bloomsbury Street | Bloomsbury, London WC1B 3QJ, England (Bloomsbury / Holborn)   |
Ranked #55 of 522 London B&B and Inns
Gloucester MA
“Friendly Family- Run”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2006

We stayed at the Morgan for a week in March 2006. We loved it.The location is excellent. British Museum ,pubs, restaurants, shopping etc. Bloomsbury is a safe area with easy access to transport and cabs. Warning for old fossils like us -- no elevator. I have bad knees so David put us on the ground floor(room 201). That was confirmed by email in advance and they came through with flying colors. If you really have a problem pick a hotel with a lift. I was able to navigate the 11 steps down to the breakfast room every morning no problem. Running up to the fourth floor would have been impossible for me. The breakfast was outstanding and all this talk about the cholesterol is bunk. There was yogurt, fresh fruit, toast , juices, dry cereals and David even offers Porridge (oatmeal). Yes there was the "full English" egg/bangers/ bacon heart attack platter too (it was a treat- once).
Our room was spotlessly clean and the breakfast room and food was too.
The family runs the place (brothers David and John alternate months managing) and John's son helps out with everything. A very nice family atmosphere. Is it the Savoy? Nope! But if you want a nice clean family run place in a great location - This is it! We will stay here again.
David kind of summed it up ."We try hard". They do, and it makes for a very pleasant stay. Rating : Excellent!

• Stayed March 2006

444 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
San Francisco, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2006

We chose the Morgan Hotel based on the rave reviews on Trip Advisor. This was back in 2003 and I was excited about this place because of all the great reviews it received on this site. However, once there I was completely baffled because my experience did not match those of most of the travelers. I kept asking myself what was I missing?

We were given room 8 (I think) located in the front of the hotel facing Bloombury Street. The street noise was a problem because traffic was nonstop throughout the night. I kept hearing buses and the occasional motorcyle passing by. (Ask for a room in the back) The furnishings in the room were basic and there was a TV hanging from the ceiling but it wasn't working. Also, the fan in the bathroom was really loud and took so long to shut off that I stopped turning on the lights when I went to the bathroom so I wouldn't activate the fan.

The owners were fine, helpful and efficient but I wouldn't necessarily characterized this as friendly. They did help arrange a car to the airport for a very reasonable price (301bs I think). Of course, maybe if I engaged them more I may have had a different experience.

The breakfast was good and plentiful. And of course, the location and neighborhood were great.

I think that most people's experience may have to do with the rooms they stayed in. It seems that people who stayed in the apartments or a room in the back may have had a better experience.

Also,I think it's unfair for people to imply that travelers who weren't 100% happy at this hotel must not traveled Europe or prefer places like the Ritz. I wouldn't put myself in either of those categories.

For the price(I paid about $150/night in 2003) I wasn't sure if this was worth it except for the location.

• Stayed September 2003
Boston, USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2006

Stayed at the Morgan with my wife and teenage daughters during a cold and windy March week. Were entirely pleased with the place. Email booking and room selection went fine. David and staff friendly, helpful, and not intrusive. Breakfast is included, and enough variation to reduce cholesterol overdose. Soundproofing between rooms could be better, but we only heard a slight rumble of conversation from neighbors on occasion.

Location is outstanding. Around corner from British Museum, five minute walk to two tube stations, easy walk to Covent Garden and theaters. Will stay there again.

• Stayed March 2006
San Marcos
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2006

We stayed for a week at the Morgan Hotel. The rooms were large, and the breakfast was absolutely wonderful. The price was a bargin for London and the location was excellent. For a small price they also held our luggage while we traveled to other locations for a few days. The owner is very nice and helpful. I also really liked the access to the internet in the front hallway. We stayed in two rooms and found the one in the back of the hotel to have less traffic noise. We will definitely be back. Thanks!

• Stayed January 2006
alexandria, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2006

I have traveled to London several times a year for thirty yeras. I decided to stay at the Morgan because of the weak dollar and the rave reviews. I think some of the raves about the hotel are overdone. The hotel is clean, modern for a B&B, a good value and good location for visitors who want easy West End access for the theatre.
But ther is no lobby, parlor, resident bar, patio or any other common area other than the breakfast room. The reception area for staff is a cubby hole in the basement so you do not pass them when you enter the hotel. I saw no staff except for maybe 10 mintutes in four days. For any visitor who needs any tourism, travel or other information, there is no one to ask. That is why I think many of the raves about friendly staff are puzzling. Two of the four staff people I did encounter were Asians who spoke very poor English.

I also encountered a problem about a late check-out. Normal checkout is at 10 am. I asked three times about staying until noon (even volunteering to pay extra). I was told each time that it was no problem. On check out day, Mr Ward the owner said he knew nothing about it and he was obviously displeased.

Breakfast was good but is only served from 7-9 am. Since most people were not going to bed until late after the theatre, cutting of breakfast at 9 am was too early.

I would stay at the Morgan again but I think many people who are not in London primarily for theatre would be happier in a small hotel in Kensington etc.

• Stayed February 2006
SF Bay Area
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2006

Our double room was small, but it was so well designed that it never seemed crowded. Corner stands and built-in wardrobes, that sort of thing. Plenty of room for our suitcases and big winter coats. There was also plenty of room for our stuff in the bathroom, and it had a normal-size shower (no tub). Only problem I had was that they ran out of hot water one morning.

The whole place was very clean. Service was always helpful and friendly. Internet access in the lobby. No elevator but the owner helped me with my luggage. Breakfast was typical English (so I’m told) with eggs and sausage but you could also have cereal or rolls with jam, etc.

Location is great; around the corner from the British Museum (a must-visit), and a few blocks from the nearest tube station or shopping. It’s perfectly manageable if you can roll your suitcase.

In fact, I would recommend the tube from Heathrow - it's cheap and so easy. The train to Paddington and then a taxi are annoying, take just as long, and cost far more.

The hotel also turned out to be a great deal for 95 Pounds a night. It was hard enough finding a last minute hotel in London at all, so we were quite lucky. We would be pleased if we could stay here again.

• Stayed December 2005, traveled on business
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2005

Stayed in a twin share room on ground floor facing the street. Was some nuisance traffic noise despite the basic double glazing. However the hotel was reasonable quality in tidyness, decor, cleanliness, full cooked breakfast, and location. 95 pounds per night total (including tax and breakfast) was good value. They can arrange private car tansfer to airport for 30 pounds which is a good price. When arriving best to get airport train then cab from train station to hotel (as suggested on their website). Efficient staff and not overly friendly which is what I prefer.

• Stayed October 2005

Been to Morgan Hotel? Share your experiences!