“My stay at the Jenkins” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Jenkins Hotel

Save Saved
You added Jenkins Hotel to your Saves list
Jenkins Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   45 Cartwright Gardens, Bloomsbury, London WC1H 9EH, England (Camden / Primrose Hill)   |
Ranked #793 of 1,075 hotels in London
Jersey, United Kingdom
“My stay at the Jenkins”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

I stayed at the Jenkins on two separate nights last week and found both stays to be enjoyable. The management and staff were friendly and efficient. The two rooms i stayed in were both clean and bright with en suite facilities. My only problem was that the beds were too small for my frame however they did apologize and said they would try and do something about it if i stayed there again (which i will).

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

143 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

I made the booking based upon a business trip and being nearer to my client for the morning rush. I feel paying £95 for a room is not budget, but eqaully should be comfortable - here is my review:

Room: Tiny in size, mattress was awful and sloped on one side and when trying to use the toilet, this was terrible as your knees scraped the wall in front when trying to sit down (utter shambolic).

Also after complaining that the door does not lock at all and will be open all night, the reception said they had a quick look and best thing for them was to have it fixed at the weekend (this was wednesday) - however you will be fine to sleep in a room which does not lock (never mind the valuables I have in the room then or going out for food). I feel that was just unbelievable..

This was one of the worst rooms I have had for this type of money and really unhappy that there was no manager to speak with until the weekend. I will not recommend this place to anyone and feel nothing more than a refund should have been offered for the lack of customer care and attention for the basics not being provided.

Basically a complete sham and disappointment by the hotel from all fronts. I understand the Judd Hotels owns this too, so I will also be posting somehting on there page as a notice for travellers. I was told to email in if I had a complaint - no I should be able to speak with a manager!!!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Ashford
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 17, 2012

My husband and I booked the Jenkins Hotel on a weekend away. We were aware that it would be a cheap and cheerful hotel compared to other more expensive hotels in the area. But nothing had prepared us for our disappointment when we saw the room.
It was extremely small,dirty, dusty, hot and had an awful musty smell. The bed was very very uncomfortable. We booked a double room with a double bed but had two single or rather junior beds pushed together. Both mattresses should have been replaced years ago.
The bathroom was totally inappropriate and the toilet was inaccessib le.The toilet seat was broken and you had to sit sideways on it due to the limited space. The shower was very outdated and everytime the shower was used, an awful smell of sewerage filled the bedroom. It is beyond belief that this make do bathroom could even be classed as an ensuite.
The whole hotel desperately needs decorating and modernising. This hotel should only be classed as a one star and it is totally overpriced for such a miserable experience. The best advice I can give is to avoid at all costs.

Room Tip: Choose another hotel - dont waste your money on this hotel. It's terrible.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Alfriston, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

I am on a course at the Novotel in St Pancras and rather than paying exorbitant hotel rates, I tried out a smaller and cheaper hotel in Bloomsbury which is a 2 minute walk to Euston Road. The room was a single room without facilities - but still costs £60 - 90 per day (£60 for the Thursday then rate went up to £90 for the Friday and Saturday.

The room was small - in fact it was a small rectangle in which the bed took up all one side. There was no shower or toilet and to get to these you need to go to the first floor where there is a shower that does not work very well. Still have not found the toilet!

Just about to go to breakfast - but not expecting much - probably a few canned fruit salad and stale buns I guess.

Never mind - the key is that I am able to go to the conference (which starts at 8am - so the need to eb somewhere near.

Room Tip: Perhaps ask to see them first?
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
Up North
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2012

We made a last minute decision to stay in London and didn't want to spend much as it was purely a bed for the night after a night out so we picked this hotel really for location and cost more than anything. I understand a hotel costing as little as this one did, for London, is not going to be the Ritz but still it felt like you were getting far too little quality for your money. The room was large (we got an en-suite one, I know not all of them are) and clean but it felt dated and uncomfortable. In fairness, for central London, it's a great, quiet location and we had a great night's sleep but still it's not somewhere we'd stay again. The staff are very friendly so we feel bad for rating the hotel as poor, it's more an indication of the quality of the room etc rather than the location or staff etc.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Mark0brien, General Manager at Jenkins Hotel, responded to this review, August 2, 2012
Many thanks for your review. We took over the hotel at the start of the year and plan a full renovation once the relevant permissions have been granted. This takes time though but we have made sure that the hotel is clean, maintained and welcoming.
melbourne
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

I would have to place the Jenkins Hotel way down the list of UK b&bs I've stayed at - would try to avoid it next time. Admittedly I booked only three days in advance because of a change of plans, and admittedly I'd developed a bad cold on the way, but staying there for a couple of days was a miserable experience. The hotel has an excellent location - a quiet curved street in Bloomsbury, not too far from the British Museum - but I think of it as a system rather than a place for people. Check-in is mid-to-late afternoon (I and others arrived by train earlier in the day and either had to leave luggage in the reception area to make the most of a stay in London, or sit it out for a couple of hours while 'the room [was] being made ready', as I did. This angered other guests arriving after me, and it's true we were wasting precious London time because rooms weren't ready. The slick young man at reception showed me a photo of Hercule Poirot and his friend standing outside The Jenkins which was impressive - until the moment arrived. The hotel is across the street from reception (at The Judd) and one is given outer and inner keys. However, we have to trust that other guests are locking the outside door behind them because there is no reception area or official occupancy at The Jenkins - just guests abandoned in various rooms, and piles of laundry in the corridors (to show that someone on the staff is coming in at times, I suppose). My room (a double booked as a single) was adequate but nothing came from the hot water tap or shower until next morning. For breakfast, you have to brave the cold morning air to cross the street and go into the basement of The Judd, where 'breakfast' has been pre-cooked and placed on tin trays - a tray of sausages, a tray of bacon, a tray of pre--fried eggs. I took an egg (not a meat-eater) and a young woman brought me a rack of toast and a cup of tea. All very army canteen-like, I thought, missing the beautiful individually cooked English breakfasts I'd grown used to across Scotland, in the Lakes District and York - and for a lot less money.
I know the reception man was polite on the first day, but I missed the human touch and concern found almost everywhere else, and didn't trust security at night.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Glasgow, Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2012

The location of the hotel is hard to beat - being very close to transport hubs it is in a quiet area. There are multiple small hotels in this area and I have stayed before in two others - one of them was definitely close to trains and one could count all trains passing - but Jenkins does not have this issue. For the money one pays it provides a clean bed, WC/shower (very compact but again one should realise where the hotel is and how much one pays), coffee making facilities, good breakfast across the road. There are plans to refurbish the hotel but at this point it is getting this rating for me not because this is the best hotel in London but because it is reasonable for it price, conveniently located and has great staff. When I have to come to this area I will come back.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business

Been to Jenkins Hotel? Share your experiences!