“Good and bad” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Harlingford Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Harlingford Hotel
You added Harlingford Hotel to your Saves list
61-63 Cartwright Gardens | Bloomsbury, London WC1H 9EL, England (Bloomsbury / Holborn)   |
Ranked #480 of 1,065 Hotels in London
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Good and bad”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

I stayed here on a business trip and will dwell on the good things first before making a few comments regarding the issues I had:

The GOOD

1. The breakfast was excellent, and the staff were friendly and efficient
2. The hotel feels spacious and is nicely decorated
3. The bed was comfortable
4. The hotel is well situated
5. Good tea and coffee facilities in the room

The BAD

1. The Yale lock on the front door is dodgy and needs fixing / changing
2. There was no hot water in the shower of Room 01 when I tried to have a shower at 0830
3. The TV in my room didn't work
4. The hotel was hot and stuffy with no open windows
5. The internet was basically unusable in the basement rooms, an easily fixed problem at little cost.

Overall a good hotel and definitely one of the better ones in Cartwright Gardens. I hope the management take note of the issues, especially the lack of hot water at a relatively early time in the morning, I suspect this is because they have an old fashioned boiler / immersion heater system and the other residents emptied it of hot water

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Cambridge, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

I booked here completely on chance as the hotels I normally use for work were full, and there was nothing left at the last minute. So my expectations were low, but I was pleasantly surprised.
The hotel is in a great central location and just a two minute walk from Russell Square station.
The person on reception was very friendly and welcoming, explaining that it is a family run hotel.
I was in one of the lower ground floor rooms, which is all that was left, but I did know this at the time of booking.
The room itself was cosy, clean and well furnished. The bed wasn't to my liking, I like a firm mattress, but this was more like sleeping on a freight pallet, firm is an understatement.
The bathroom was basic but clean. The water pressure in the shower was fine, even though the shower was small.
Throughout the night I could hear trains running underground, and the noise from the street as you had to keep the window open to stay cool.

I think it is an ideal hotel for couples travelling together or young people.

I wouldn't recommend for Business Travellers. At the end of the work day, you just want somewhere you can grab a drink, finish off the days work and know you will have a comfy bed in a quiet room. So for those reasons I wouldn't stay here again. More than anything it is down to personal preference and I like the amenities afforded by a more corporate hotel.

Honey Brook
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

This was our first visit to London and we enjoyed our stay at the Harlingford. The location is on a nice side street so the area is fairly quiet, but there was still a nice variety of restaurants and shops near by. A 2-3 block walk takes you to one of the Tube stops and it was a quick ride to the Westminster area. The bedrooms and bathrooms were clean and comfortable though a little small. (But not atypical for a city hotel.) The breakfast included in the price of the room included a nice assortment of fruits, cereals, and pastries, as well as eggs and breakfast meats. I would highly recommend the Harlingford and would definitely consider staying there again if traveling to London.

Room Tip: Our room on the first floor had a nice view of the park across the street. Our sons had a room on t...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Rockville, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

The Harlingford is a 5 minute walk from Russell Square metro on the Picadilly Line that runs straight into the city from Heathrow (about an hour ride). If you can navigate steps with your luggage, then this is really a good place to stay. My room was small and on the hot side, but I didn't mind. It was perfectly adequate, quiet and clean. I'm not sure if they have rooms with A/C, but if this is a concern during summer travel, then it's worth inquiring. The neighborhood is lovely to walk around and has plenty of restaurants and pubs.

Manchester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2014

I stayed here this week to take my final university exams at LSE, I presumed there would be wifi so I could get my work done for the week. I went down to reception to let them know I was struggling to get a connection; to which a lady on reception called Liga bluntly said that wifi is only advertised as "complimentary". For £88 a night I expect a hotel with basic wifi - not good enough, and the poor attitude and service amplified this.

Only positive was friendly kitchen staff and a nice breakfast in the morning - but if you're travelling on business and planning on doing work, I certainly wouldn't recommend this place. Nor interacting with Liga.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Harlingford, Manager at Harlingford Hotel, responded to this review, June 15, 2014
Well, this is rather a spiteful review!
A short but petulant rant by an angry young man that should have been taught better by his parents, against a girl who tried to help him but whose sole crime seems to be she told him the truth.
When he informed the receptionist that he could not acquire Wi-Fi in his room she immediately went to the 2nd floor and rebooted the router (we have routers on all floors). She then showed him that her mobile was receiving a full signal and suggested that it may be his device at fault. She helped him to connect his device to the main router on the ground floor/lounge area.
He became irate and argued that he needed to study for the next 3 days; she offered a quiet area on the ground floor and also said he would get the IT guy to check his device the next day.
This was not good enough for him and he became more and more argumentative, saying 'all hotels he had ever stayed in guaranteed Wi-Fi connection.
She pointed out that we clearly state on our website and on all correspondence to guests that we cannot guarantee a Wi-Fi connection but that what we do provide - which works 99% of the time to all users - is free.
I also spoke to this boy to calm him down and told him exactly the same as my receptionist; that as the Wi-Fi was clearly working then it had to be his device that had a problem. It has happened before and will happen again but we are not responsible for all devices.
Let me unravel this myth once and for all, there is no company - not even Microsoft or Google headquarters - institution, coffee shop or HOTEL that can guarantee an on-demand, uninterrupted or faultless connection to the internet, whether it is paid for - as in most hotels - or for free as in this wonderful hotel..
But from the revue it is clear that this young man has some serious, ongoing and unresolved issues with women and i would suggest to his parents not to let him go to a campus in America.

As a last word, apparently, by naming my innocent receptionist in his rant, this review contravenes TripAdvisor criteria and rules, but still they post it. How come?
Rochester, Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

Having visited London more than a dozen times, this hotel is far and away my all time favorite. It is not luxurious and it is not "cheap", but the location is perfect, the rooms are always clean and the breakfast is great - and it's included in the room rate. It's served in a charming dining room that overlooks the Crescent and it's everything you could ask for in a breakfast. Eggs are cooked to order plus there is a buffet of yogurt, assorted cheeses, cereals and fresh fruit.The staff is efficient and any need you have is dealt with promptly and courteously. The Bloomsbury location is only a couple of blocks away from the Russell Square tube station and is within walking distance of Euston Station, the British Museum and many shopping areas. There are several good pubs and a terrific Indian restaurant very nearby. Honestly I hesitated to write this review because I fear the Harlingford will become too popular and I won't be able to book a room the next time I need one. But excellence deserves to be recognized and this little hotel is indeed an excellent place to stay while visiting London.

Room Tip: Triple and quad rooms are offered. Some rooms are in what we Yanks call the basement and the room l...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Billerica, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2014

I visited London for business and prefer B&B style lodging. I've been doing this for years and amazed at the variety of establishments that provide this in London. I stumbled on the Harlingford by accident when another establishment that I had previous used, and contacted about an upcoming visit, did not have any vacancies and referred me to the Harlingford (they have some sort of relationship).
I was a bit worried by other reviews, but believe these must have been isolated bad experiences because I had a wonderful stay. The room was expectedly sized (I only had a single), the service and front desk staff were very accommodating and helpful when I needed, helping me find restaurants (that I chose in the area using TripAdvisor), fixing an internet problem and with my check-in/out experience.
My room was on the 4th floor and the last set of stairs were a bit narrow (and windy), so if that is a concern, mention it when booking.
The breakfast was pretty standard based on my experience providing full English breakfast options as well as a continental array of options. The breakfast staff was very polite and service was attentive. The breakfast area looked adequately sized, though it was always full, so there may be times when you might need to wait a few minutes for seats to open (I never witnessed this however).
The area is full of wonderful restaurants of all cuisines. I recommend The Harrison's (British), The Balfour (Italian) and Cool Chilli (Szechuan), there is also the Gilbert Scott (4 star) for a really special evening if you want, but there are lots of other options that all seemed good.
The location is right in the middle of 3 tube stations (3-4 blocks from all of them) all easy walks, and multiple bus routes. The Euston/St. Pancras rail station is right there which means a quick trip to Paris is only 2+ hours away.
They will definitely be my first call when I have the need to come back.

Room Tip: There will be some construction starting across the street (university is tearing down a student hou...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business

Been to Harlingford Hotel? Share your experiences!