“A week in London - Sept 2012” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Harlingford Hotel

You added Harlingford Hotel to your Saves list
Harlingford Hotel
61-63 Cartwright Gardens | Bloomsbury, London WC1H 9EL, England (Bloomsbury)   |
Ranked #512 of 1,049 Hotels in London
London, United Kingdom
“A week in London - Sept 2012”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2012

This was our first trip to London & we were arriving by Train from France - so the location was excellent. We were on the 3rd floor at the front. It is a bit difficult to get up to the 3rd floor from the 2nd as the stairs are steep. We found the room quality good, the bed was typical - not great not poor. The Bathroom had a shower which was small but everything worked.The Breakfast that was included was excellent and a great way to start the day. This hotel is well located for access to the Picadilly Subway Line & there are many decent restaurants nearby. There is a student residence near, so there can be some noise at night, but we had our window open everynight. We'd go back- again

Room Tip: unless you can climb steep stairs try for 1st or 2nd floor
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Lincoln, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

Stayed for one night on business. The exterior and lobby area has a nice feel and check-in was very easy. My room was fine. Clean, tidy and quiet however my bed had a bow meaning it felt like I was in a hammock. The mattress was thin and the bedstead hard underneath. Room 33 is up 3 flights of stairs and the Harlingford doesn't have a lift. The staircase is spiral so difficult if you're loaded with luggage (which I wasn't so not a problem).

Breakfast was nice, good ingredients and choice. My only gripe: I arrived 2 minutes before breakfast is officially served (07:30) and had to stand outside that I felt was a little officious and unnecessary. This time is late if you're on business. However service was fine afterward. Would visit again and its perfectly located in the heart of Bloomsbury, which I love.

Room Tip: If you struggle with stairs ask for a first floor room. Not appropriate for wheelchair users.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Harlingford, Manager at Harlingford Hotel, responded to this review, October 13, 2012
I must thank our recent guest for writing a positive review of our small and happy hotel and for giving me the opportunity to take pride in disclosing this little known fact; we are possibly, the only hotel in the area that provides an early (continental style) breakfast - at 3am, 5am, 6am or whatever time - for our guests who may have an early train or flight to catch, all they have to do is arrange it with reception the evening before.
On check-in all our guests have relevant times etc explained to them and, as this happens so infrequently I do remember this person push open the closed door and enter the breakfast room: the time was 7.20am. I politely explained that the staff do not start work until 7.30am and would he mind waiting in the lounge for just a few minutes while they finish preparing the the food and tables.
As there was no mention made of being in a hurry I thought it was no big deal, obviously it was.
I must point out the start time for breakfast is NOT fixated upon, I leave it entirely to the kitchen.serving staff to decide when to open the door, invariably, it is BEFORE 7.30am. Also we NEVER close the kitchen exactly at the stated time of 9.am, the wonderful hard-working staff in the breakfast room are still rushing to and fro serving dishes well past the hour.
Minneapolis
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

I stayed at the Harlingford when visiting London with students who were staying at The Clink on Grey's Inn Road. The Harlingford is walking distance from The Clink, so well located for maintaining a connection to my students. The hotel itself is on a very quiet street, and is a short walk from King's Cross. The Russell Square Station is 3 or 4 blocks in the other direction. The British Museum is within easy walking distance. There are several good restaurants nearby, convenient when it is pouring rain and you don't want to walk far. My room was a single, and very comfortable, with a small lounging chair, a desk big enough for a laptop, plenty of outlets, a kettle and tea & instant coffee provided, a bathroom with plenty of room with a good shower. My only warning is that the stairs are steep and narrow, and as I have some mobility issues, it was difficult to get even my small bag up the stairs to my room and down again in the morning. One of the hotel staff kindly saw me struggling and brought my bag down for me on the day I was leaving. If you have mobility issues, ask for a lower floor. I echo others' remarks about the very adequate breakfast and the very helpful staff. I will stay at the Harlingford again. It is ideally situated for bringing a group of students to London, but it is also ideally situated for anyone visiting and wanting an affordable, comfortable, and convenient place to stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Montreal, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2012

I went to the Harlingford 4 times the last 4 years and the last time I got to admit that it was getting a bit tatty. The paint on the walls isn't that good anymore, the carpets look tired, the tap in the bathroom looked old, etc. The Harlingford is well located and the area is amazing but I hope the owners will take care of the place a bit more. It's a good value for the price and the breakfast is good but I wish it would be a bit more magical and a bit more friendly.

Room Tip: Ask to have a room in the front of the garden and make sure you don't get a room in the basement...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

My son, brother, and I just spent a week at the Harlingford Hotel in separate single rooms. We had an enjoyable stay. The rooms were comfortable and nicely decorated in soft pastels. The bathrooms were large enough, and the water pressure was good. The breakfast was excellent - you could have a full English breakfast or eggs with smoked salmon, plus your choice of cereals, fruit, yogurt, juice and toast. The reception staff was helpful, providing information and assistance when needed. Wi-fi was available throughout the hotel, and it worked well. (The bars of soap that the hotel provided were very small, so you might consider bringing your own larger bar.)

The location of the hotel was convenient for getting around London. The Russell Square underground station was a three block walk away. The British Museum and British Library were within walking distance. There were many good restaurants in the immediate area.

My room was on the ground floor, and there was some noise from the underground trains, so if this is an issue I suggest requesting a room on the upper floors. (The trains did stop running from midnight to 6:00 a.m., so there was no noise during those hours.)

Room Tip: Higher floors have less noise from the Underground trains.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Hiroshima
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

I stayed at the Harlingford during the first week in September as I was attending a conference nearby. I enjoyed my stay and only found one minor problem with the hotel.

Positives
*Location is perfect for using the Tube/Train - Russell Square is a 10 min stroll & Kings Cross is also not very far.
*If you enjoy walking then it is about a 45-55 min walk from the hotel to Trafalgar Square.
*Many pubs & shops nearby if you want to grab something to eat or a pint.
*The service at the hotel was excellent, especially the breakfast menu. I would also praise highly the breakfast staff who were friendly and helpful.
*The hotel has a sort of 'lived in' feeling to the place, which I enjoyed. It had character and was not a soulless place that many chain hotels are.
*My room was on the top floor and was small, but adequate for what I required.
*Although the hotel is near to several pubs I did not experience any noise that caused a problem.

Negatives
*My bed did have a slight valley in the middle - this is a small complaint and it wasn't uncomfortable - but you were always aware of it.
*The stairs are narrow going to the top floor and if your suitcase is big/heavy it could be difficult to manoeuvre it up.
*There is no air-con, which for most of the year in England isn't an issue. The first two days of my stay were a bit hot and I did need to leave the window open. Again this wasn't too much of an issue.

I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel, for the price which includes breakfast I felt it was money well spent. I would happily stay here on any future visit to London.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Makanda, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

Of the many low-budget London hotels I've stayed in, this is my favorite. My two nieces and I spent a week in a comfortable triple room in the basement level that had a nice large bathroom- especially good since three women were sharing it. An extremely friendly staff and owner welcomed us as family, gave helpful directions about the best way to get to our destinations and where to find good shopping for the teenagers. We enjoyed the ample breakfast in an attractive room. Location is great--near two tube stations, one of which runs directly to Heathrow Airport, the British Museum and British Library are nearby, and it is on a quiet street with very little traffic.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Harlingford Hotel? Share your experiences!