“Needs a bit of TLC” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #905 of 1,055 Hotels in London
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Needs a bit of TLC”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

This hotel is located in a lovely old building and the structure and layout has plenty of character. It's ideally located just round the corner from Victoria station and a good choice of restaurants, but those are the best bits. The room was clean but definitely past it's best, every piece of furniture was chipped, half of the drawers didn't have handles or any way to open them, the walls had dents in the plaster in places and the lampshades looked like they'd bounced around the floor a few times. I tried to call down to reception for coat hangers as there were none, but the phone didn't work. I could go on, it's a shame, because if everything was maintained and finishing touches applied, the room I had would be a very nice room. In general though, for a one night stay in London this was sufficient.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
GM159, General Manager at The Tophams Hotel Belgravia, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write they review about the hotel on Tripadvisor.
We are doing everything we can to ensure that the guest experience is improved at the hotel so it is good to receive your comments.
We are making our way through all rooms and currently have an on going programme improve the details in all rooms.
I hope we will have an early opportunity to welcome you back to Tophams and please do not hesitate to contact me directly for any future bookings.
Sean H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (198)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Bristol, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

I read the previous reviews but still booked and I accept that the 4 star rating seems 'generous', but for the price I paid I've had a lot, lot worse in London. I've also seen the horror stories about the rooms in the basement with no windows and bare light bulbs hanging from the ceiling, but I simply asked for a room on the first or second floor and the woman at reception was happy to provide one. I accept that I probably got away from work early enough to still have a choice (about 7pm at the hotel). The room itself was large (i.e. I could stand in the middle of the room and hold my arms out and not touch the walls). And the bathroom was a proper room, not a converted cupboard. My experience of the quality of hotels in London is so poor that I actually thought I'd probably go back to this one, though I'd hesitate to recommend it or describe it as good to anyone that has stayed in a hotel anywhere else on the planet. But for London, it's a winner.

Room Tip: Ask for room on 1st or 2nd floor.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write the nice review about the hotel on Tripadvisor and I am glad you enjoyed your stay.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2014

Got a voucher to have a discounted afternoon tea. The welcome was lovely and the venue was nice. The afternoon tea was average, scones we're dry, and they were over generous with the butter in the sandwiches. I was with great company so we enjoyed ourselves. The best thing is that we were not rushed and took our time to enjoy the ambiance.

• Stayed July 2014
GM159, General Manager at The Tophams Hotel Belgravia, responded to this review, July 15, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor for us.
We are delighted you enjoyed the ambience and I have taken on board what you said about the sandwiches and scones.
I hope we will have an opportunity to welcome you back to Tophams.
Scotland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

I stayed at Tophams in 2009, stupidly I rebooked for another stay without looking at reviews because I had such a great experience last time...... I have never been so disappointed and so shocked at how a hotel can go downhill. Apparently its still the same owner.

The room was ok but you can see signs of wear and tear with knocks and marks all over the walls, furniture and curtains. The bed was ridiculously soft, a very old mattress. One of the worst parts for me was the bathroom....... I don't think you should ever walk out of a bathroom feeling dirtier than you did walking in there! It was a shower over bath with a window to the side, the window blind which doubled as a shower curtain was covered in mould. It badly needs replacing and replacing regularly. ( I have looked back at the reviews on here and seen pictures of it before our stay so I dread to think how long it has been on there) The wall was covered in black mildew and the limescaled shower head was being held up by ductape. We had to shower making sure we didnt touch the blind. There is absolutely NO excuse for this type of uncleanliness in a hotel. This is basic cleaning!

We needed to iron some clothes and when getting the Iron out of the cupboard we found a big red sticker attached saying "FAILED" "DO NOT USE" with a 2012 date on it. It failed its pat testing in 2012 and hadn't been replaced! Scary & dangerous!!

The door frame had obviously had to have been smashed in at some point but not fixed...well nailed back on but, it didn't look secure but the door did lock.

We had 2 of the thinest pillows ever, I requested more as there were no spares in the room and they never arrived. So when we got back to the hotel later that night I went back down to ask for more, we had a knock on the door with the arrival of 1 extra pillow...there was 2 of us, when I asked if we could have one each, we then got a huff and the arrival of the biggest pillow you could find!!

We booked via Expedia and the deal included an English breakfast..... at breakfast we were told we had only continental, I questioned it but was told we had only paid for continental. I didnt question it further at the time and went with a continental....... this was a choice of cornflakes or musli. toast and a crossaint. All very cheap produce. I checked my confirmation and saw it said english breakfast.

I'm genuinely not a complainer but I was not leaving there without saying something as I was so disappointed, plus I believe if you are going to slate somewhere on Tripadvisor you should at least give them the feedback in person as well.
I spoke to the young girl on reception and showed her photos of the mould in the room/faulty iron and about the breakfast and how upset I was that I had such a good stay before and that the hotel had really gone down hill.............to be honest she just sat there and said nothing. I understand it's not her fault but I felt like I was talking to a brick wall. She got the iron changed straight away and upgraded us to what we had paid for for breakfast the next day. To be honest, it wasn't worth it, the cooked breakfast was cold, very cheap and nasty ingredients.

When I checked out we got asked by another member of staff if we had a good stay and I explained I had already complained and she replied "We are doing everything we can to improve our hotel"...."To which I replied "You need to"......I'm sorry but you are obviously not. And having read back over the replies to the reviews on here you get the same generic response from Sean H the manager who says "We are doing everything we can to ensure that the guest experience is improved at the hotel." Maybe this is just common reply.
I have attached photos of our room, they couldn't move us because they had no other rooms. We didn't stay in the room for long as you are in London but you do want a room at that expense to at the very least be clean. So sad and disappointing and I will never go back, you are running your beautiful hotel into the ground with bad cleanliness and cheap products and staff that don't really care.

Attached are photos to prove the dirt! Shower curtain, mouldy wall, faulty iron and smashed in door.

Room Tip: Avoid 207 unless they clean it, plus it is next to the lift.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2014

I stayed here last year for 4 months while waiting for my insurance company to fix my flat which had burned down. The reception staff were VERY rude. Cleaners would come in hit and miss - maybe 3 times a week. They would not replenish things, so often had nothing to shower with so had to go and buy stuff.
They didn't tell me that breakfast was included, so was only one month in when found out after I had a phone call with insurance company. TV didn't work, complained a few times, but in the end stopped asking as I didn't want to have any sort of conversation with the reception staff. The worst thing was the rudeness.
On an upnote, there was/is a very lovely waitress who I saw most days when I went to have breakfast. She was very kind to me during a difficult time, and also just round the corner from Victoria station. But I strongly urge you find a nice place instead of here.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Limerick, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

The room I had was lovely, quiet and tastefully decorated. The foyer and staff were very friendly and helpful and the location is second to none. The downside being that there is no restaurant in the Hotel but plenty of places locally to dine and the breakfast is nothing to write home about.

Room Tip: Do not accept a mews room, ask one one on the upper levels
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
GM159, General Manager at The Tophams Hotel Belgravia, responded to this review, July 4, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write the lovely review about the hotel on Tripadvisor.
We are doing everything we can to ensure that the guest experience is improved at the hotel so it is good to receive your positive comments.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2014

I was in London from May 30 thru June 4 in a Lovely Hotel named Tophams in Belgravia,
Best Location, 1 block from the Victoria Train Station & Big Bus.

Great Staff, Very Personable, Charming Accommodation.

Thank You.

Room Tip: Ask to be on the 3rd Floor facing main street.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Sean H

Been to The Tophams Hotel Belgravia? Share your experiences!