“Sewage smell :(” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #902 of 1,049 Hotels in London
Saltcoats, United Kingdom
“Sewage smell :(”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

On arrival the hotel reception was very grand.

My college & I stayed at this hotel last month to attend a work meeting. Very disappointed my college was allocated a suite on the ground floor which stank of sewage and I was allocated a shoe box on the 4th floor. When we asked if any other rooms were available we told we are full. The only good point was the polite young man who came to fix the TV .

Don't bother booking.

Room Tip: Do not book this hotel
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (199)
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Oxford, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

Well me and my friend arrived on 5th April to a lovely pleasant reception but not a very nice greeting the women (bobbed dark/red hair was not exactly welcoming) We went to our room and walked in (it was more or less in the basement) to the most disgusting smell, after investigating further my friend saw water underneath the bath it was DAMP ! it was soaking under there, we also had a fire exit door in our bathroom ? but the wallpaper was all peeling off disgusting ! After my friend complained and did an amazing job of it we had a delightful assistant NOT!! with blonde hair who really couldn't give two hoots about our moaning and disgrace ... so after this my friend went to reception again where she complained to a a gentleman who came down to check out the problem, he was great I have to say and eventually we got upgraded to a better room it was ALOT better but there was still a damp problem in here and some floor tiles that needed sorting, this man was very helpful and if it wasn't for him I wouldn't of given a 1* to be honest, the rest of the staff were pretty miserable and unhelpful, the hotel needs closing down and work done to get it to an average standard !! Very dissapointed luckily we were only there for a night out then home the next day!!

Room Tip: Dont go ! Dont go Dont go !
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Peterborough, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

First impressions in the reception area seemed really good, it look presentable and the staff were friendly. However we then got taken down the street to our room which was in another one of their buildings. The smell was unpleasent when we first walked in, there was laundry all over the floor and cleaners equipment and the decor was nothing like the reception. We then got taken down into the basement, the stairs were steep and the door was very heavy and we got taken to our room. We went into our room and all of the walls and ceiling was dark chocolate brown so the room was near enough pitch black, we went to turn the light on by the switch, but there wasn't even a light on the ceiling in this dark room! There was 4 lamps in each corner of the room and my boyfriend went to turn these on and the electrics tripped and we had no electric! There was no window in the bedroom or bathroom, the fire exit in the bathroom was locked (this is a criminal offence!) and there was 1 spot light hanging out of the ceiling above the toilet with wires showing! (health and safety hazzard ..and the only proper light available in both rooms) We went back to the reception area and they told us to wait 15 minutes in the pitch black room for a maintenance man to show up and we asked another room and they told us there wasn't any. We sat in this dark room for around 5 minutes but were so gutted and dissapointed with the room we went back to reception. After a while they gave us a new room and upgraded our room which was pleasing. That room was then alot better but still lacked quality in finishes, such as smashed tiles in the bathroom, damp patches on the walls and wobbly furniture. The only good thing about this hotel was... the breakfast!!!

Room Tip: There are other hotels that are worth spending this amount of money on!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Guernsey, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

I stayed at Tophams recently with my 12 year old daughter and her friend. When we checked in we were given a suite with an attic room with twin beds for the girls and a room down a small flight of stairs for me, which was great as we all had our own space and privacy, but I could still hear them. Everything was clean and the bed linen was lovely. (On the down side: the carpets are old and need replacing and there was no blind in the girls' velux window and so they woke up early.)
We weren't charged for the girls' breakfasts which was great as they hardly ate anything. The front office and dining room staff were friendly and efficient especially San.
Location was brill as it is so peaceful even though you are just 2 minutes away from Victoria station, tube station and bus stops.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

We stayed at Tophams last week and were highly impressed with the hotel and staff. The hotel is in a lovely location with excellent links to travel facilities hence wider London. The staff were very helpful throughout our stay with directions and they strived to ensure we enjoyed our stay.

I would definitely stay here again, we had a fantastic time.

• Stayed April 2013
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

The afternoon tea service at the Topham hotel was very disappointing. Although the reception staff seemed at ease with the environment, the staff serving tea looked and sounded very ill at ease, with a robotic, stilted communication style. Some training is required to assist the staff to appear more natural.

When the afternoon tea tray arrived my fears were laid to rest; it looked the business. That was, until, I picked up a finger sandwich - It felt rather thin and the white bread tasted cheap. Both my friend and I were rather hungry so we ate the offering. Every thing else was standard and tasted like a supermarket own brand range. Thereby, the cumulative effect on the tastebuds was more sustenance than luxury.

One would not expect an "afternoon tea at the Ritz" experience for this price, however I think there should be a certain standard to maintain.I got a discount with a Groupon voucher and I still felt short changed.

The central London location and the interesting decor which leads into the skylit room suggests a certain potential to develop a better service. It might be a good idea to put someone that has a pasison for afternoon tea in charge of this.The impression I am left with here, is that Tophams Hotel is just cashing in on the current trend for afternoon tea and is not really interested in setting or maintaining high standards.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Bromley, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013

My sister and I had afternoon tea with champagne at Tophams yesterday. I'm afraid I was disappointed. The hotel is 'boutique' apparently, but not sure what this means apart from everything being brown and chrome. The champagne and tea were OK, but there was no ambience in the small room. The tables were very cramped, no tablecloths on the brown formica tables. Also there was a used napkin under the table which we had to retrieve ourselves. The staff were young and inexperienced although pleasant. The carpet in the ladies was filthy and needed a good hoover, as did the carpet at the entrance outside. The paint on the entrance door was badly chipped and looked scruffy. I mentioned all these things to the Duty Manager, and he was very pleasant. I had a voucher from Amazon and only paid £26 for two of us, the full price is £64 for two and I'm afraid it just isn't up to scratch to pay this. I would rather pay a bit more elsewhere and have a memorable experience.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family

Been to The Tophams Hotel Belgravia? Share your experiences!