“Wonderful place, good value for money.” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #11,159 of 16,892 restaurants in London
Cuisines: English, French, Italian, Mediterranean, Spanish
London, United Kingdom
“Wonderful place, good value for money.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2013

I am a frequent visitor of Carmina and Lancelot cafe and should say that I always was very pleased - fantastic atmosphere, delicious and always fresh food. Even without special offers it is very affordable place for any pocket. Good café for a lunch with friends, coffee break after shopping at Oxford or Marylebone streets or relaxing of wine in an evening. My favourites are mushroom risotto and carrot cake, which I definitely recommend to try. I am upset about unpleasant reviews regarding such a lovely place; and I should say that it is unfair to judge a place which you visited just once with some voucher and that voucher didn’t face your expectations.
Svetlana

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

52% Recommend
Dorchester, United Kingdom
“Cream Tea - Will not be returning”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

We tried to sign up for Travelzoo champagne afternoon tea voucher, but left it too late. We rang Camina and Lancelot and were told that they would still give us the Travelzoo offer, so we booked a table. When we arrived they would not honour the offer, we therefore took the 'buy-one-get one half price' offer on cream teas. Even with the offer, it was not cheap and arguably not exactly value for money. Whilst the scones were good, the cream and jam were less than plentiful. We witnessed couples having discussions with the management over the terms of the Travelzoo offer, and having seen the quality of the food, both being prepared and coming to adjacent tables, I would fully support the views expressed in the previous 'tea time' reviews. We left extremely disappointed and feeling somewhat ripped off.

• 2 of 5 stars Food
London
“Afternoon tea - unlikely to return”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

We visited Carmina and Lancelot recently for champagne afternoon tea using a Travelzoo voucher. The restaurant itself was small but nice and cosy and we were greeted warmly.

However it all went downhill from there. The food is freshly prepared and taken in isolation is nice - however the afternoon tea (aside from the scones) was very disappointing. The sandwiches were all very much the same - even though the fillings differed marginally; the scones were very nice, though the jam accompanying them was a bit sparse; the cake/pastries turned out to be half a muffin each.

We also discovered that the tea or champagne in our "champagne afternoon tea" was optional - you could have one, but had to pay for the other. The staff in the restaurant claimed that this was Travelzoo's error and not theirs (though how you can have afternoon tea without tea or coffee is beyond me). And we were only notified of this as we had started to eat. I can understand that errors can be made, but was disappointed that they did not honour the voucher in full (as the on-cost of a cup of tea for two would be minimal, and would have created a much more positive experience).

So overall, I cannot recommend the place. There are much better places for afternoon tea at a similar price.

• 2 of 5 stars Food
London
“Dishonourable and disappointing tea”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Visited for tea using travelzoo voucher offer. Unfriendly manageress refused to honour terms of deal blaming travelzoo and we were forced to pay extra. Contents of tea were not in accordance with the offer. Some of the sandwiches were served on less than fresh bread and only one plain scone served. Two boring and unappealing cakes, no pastries or tarts etc.

This was truly disappointing and we felt ripped off, especially as our visit had been influenced by such positive feedback here. Beware !!

• 1 of 5 stars Food
“Perfect breakfast stop!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013 via mobile

As with the previous reviewer I was staying at the mandeville hotel, room only. I dislike the same old rubbish hotels serve for breakfast too so I ventured across the road. It was quiet and empty and that was the only reason it was marked down for atmosphere. The porridge was delicious! Really really good coffee and I also had a carrot, beetroot and celery juice which was a perfect start to the day! Top marks see you tomorrow!

• 5 of 5 stars Food