“Looks good but that's about it!” 2 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #388 of 537 Coffee & Tea in London
Cuisines: Bar, Coffee Shop, British, Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night
Description: Locally-sourced food and a great selection of drinks - all day, every day. From our famous brunches to our amazing Sunday Roasts, we're the perfect place for any occasion with friendly service and a great atmosphere! British craft beers, teapot cocktails and an unrivalled love of gin! There's even an intimate 'Den' with its own dedicated bar - perfect for any private party.
London
“Looks good but that's about it!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

Having had awful service here in the past, I decided to give this place another try - for brunch this time. Hmmm seems that not a lot has changed! Asides from a couple of friendly staff members, the service was slow and inconsistent. On arrival I was greeted with enthusiasm but as soon as the tables started to fill, the service became non-existent. The food was OK, nothing to write home about (and was served lukewarm). Considering there are only about 6 options on the menu, you would expect it to be better. Needless to say I will not be back again as I would rather spend my money elsewhere (i.e. Kitchen Table).

• Visited March 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

Manchester, United Kingdom
“If only they did takeaway”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

Brunch is the most important meal of the day...

Thankfully, The Alice House has good hearty food. Well done to the kitchen! Food arrived promptly and was fantastic.

The rest of the experience wasn't...

Accidents happen, we're only human. It's how you deal with them that counts. The waiter serving the couple next to us dropped the mustard off their table which ended up on my jeans and shoes. The response was rather lackluster and nonchalant. As was their apology.

Unfortunately, this then set the tone. The service lets this place down and makes table service look like a luxury these days.

Getting a waiters attention is one thing, and understandable when busy. However, I draw the line at waiting 25 minutes for the table to be cleared. I ended up clearing the table myself and carrying it all to the bar.

However, I did leave with a smile on my face after they brought over the bill with the service charge.

I must point out that this is only my experience, and I'm sure this is very much a rarity. However, I go back to my earlier point: Accidents happen, we're only human. It's how you deal with them that counts.

• 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“The best Sunday roast in West Hampstead”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012 via mobile

We finally found the best Sunday roast in West Hampstead. Great atmosphere. Service was patchy but food was good. We had the roast beef and roast lamb. The beef was delicious and the gravy was extremely good. The lamb was good but fatty.

There was a lack of consistency in serving the food. Mine was missing potatoes even though the menu stated all roasts came with potatoes, Yorkshire pud and seasonal veg.

We would go back but hoping the service would improve.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“It’s gone downhill with bad service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

I was very disappointed with how shockingly bad the service was and how rude the staff were at Alice house. Having dined here 2 years ago, I recommend that this will be a great venue for a staff Christmas party. We pre ordered and have pre paid a week prior to our booking date. However the staff brought out a menu and proceeded to take our orders, because they cannot find the booking that we made in advance. The food arrived 40mins late and was cold. The waiters are quite forgetful to bring the drinks order and have to be reminded. NO one checked on our table once to see if we were happy or needed more drinks

Promptly at 11pm, we were asked to pay up and drink up in spite of allowing us the legal 30mins drinking time. We had 2 bottles of wine and the manager, Dominic refused to give us a cork for it but happily took our money for the substantial bill. He even attempted taking the full bottle of wine away. When we challenged this, he retorted that we were drunk and asked us to leave.

Poor poor service. Such a disappointment for such a lovely place. I will never recommend AH to anyone again and will stay clear from it.

• Visited November 2012
    • 1 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 1 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“Nice looking bar, horrendous service”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

I am a West Hampstead resident and always steer well clear of this place - it looks lovely on the outside; but unfortunately this is merely glossy wrapping for what is otherwise an empty shell and doesn't deliver what it promises! The Alice House's main failure has always been, and continues to be, the service - if you wish to follow the model of table service rather than allowing customers to order at the bar, then you need to ensure that you have adequately trained staff who know what they're doing. The last (and I mean absolute LAST) time I thought we would give this place a go, we sat ourselves outside and waited half an hour; the waitress did not come outside once and we were sitting there, along with half a dozen tables full of wannabe diners, with no one having so much as a drink to their name - it just obviously wasn't organised in any way that the waitress knew what area she was meant to be covering and there were clearly too few staff. I eventually went in and got a menu myself, another 15 minutes went by and still no sign of the waiting staff...so we decided to order straight from the bar...every time I have tried to do this it seems to elicit resentment from the bar staff as, because the Alice House is supposedly run on table service, they see you as imposing upon them. They therefore left me waiting for 10 minutes before acknowledging my very presence and, when I asked if we could order, the guy told me to go and sit back down as a waitress would come and take my order - what? You mean the waitress that hadn't stepped outside onto the patio ONCE in the best part of an hour?! That waitress? At that point I didn't even want to think how long the food was going to take, so we upped and left. I have come in here for drinks before and it's always a headache to order even that - there are just too few staff and when you do finally get your drink they tag on a service charge for the privilege of having your drink brought to the table. It's a shame that in the last few years I've only come here a handful of times, because the location and decor is fantastic - but you can't just sit there and have an unstressful pint! Fortunately, they now have serious competition in the form of the much better organised Black Lion a few doors down, which has a classy ambience, great food AND vastly superior service - if anyone is ever in the area and not sure where to head - avoid the Alice House like the plague and go to where all the locals go and don't champion mediocre service until they sort themselves out.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere