“Highly recommend” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Aloft London Excel

You added Aloft London Excel to your Saves list
Aloft London Excel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Eastern Gateway, London E16 1FR, England (Docklands / Canary Wharf / Isle of Dogs)   |
Special Rate
B&B rates from £109
Ranked #212 of 1,066 Hotels in London
Ferndale Wales UK
“Highly recommend”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here on 02/04/2014 very friendly and helpful staff. Room of a high standard and extremely clean. Take no notice of comments regarding noise, we found it really quiet despite able to see planes close up as they passed our window. Breakfast was lovely with a wide choice, the grab and go was good too. Will be recommending it to friends and family

Stayed April 2014, traveled with family
AloftLondonExcel, Manager at Aloft London Excel, responded to this review, April 14, 2014
Hello there bopajo,

Thank you for your great comments!
The Refresh team takes great pride in our rooms and we will definitely be sharing your comments in the team briefings around the hotel.

Thank you for recommending us - we look forward to welcoming your friends and family!

Have an easy breezy day,
Jill van Rest

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (232)
  • Greek first
Bletchley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2014

Stayed here with my cousin (both early 20's) in March 2014. Initially we were a bit surprised at just how far out of the city the hotel is, three stops from Canning Town on the DLR! While this was great for us seeing a show at the O2 on Saturday night it was a little bit of a hassle the other three nights - but one we very quickly got used to! Only problem was our confirmation email advised us that the nearest stop was Royal Victoria - on day one this meant quite a trek past the excel arena! The great deal we got on pricing more than made up for the daily "commute" into the city, and it was probably easier buying our travel card on the quieter DLR stop!

The hotel itself is absolutely great, the staff were really friendly and welcomed us on the first day really well. When we arrived in our room we were really pleasantly surprised - two massive beds, wall mounted telly, a great little bathroom/shower with a really powerful shower! Only weird bit was the sink not being in the bathroom - but still an awesome room. We were also lucky enough to be placed on the front of the hotel with some killer views of the dock. The black out roller blinds were great too for lay ins!

The hotel bar was also reasonably priced and very comfortable - the guy behind the bar even coming round personally to every table to see if we wanted another drink before final orders.

Overall it was a great stay - if like us you are staying in the hotel or visiting the Excel - this is the place for you. If you plan to spend more time in the city - its still not a bad choice but you might be better off somewhere closer to the main tube grid.

Room Tip: Seen on here some comments about being given a twin and not a double - we were asked on arrival whic...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2014

I spent six nights at the Aloft as my company were exhibiting at ExCel.

The reception staff seemed very busy every time I saw them - perhaps they need more manpower, but they were polite and professional.

The hotel is very clean and modern. I did not use the bar, but noticed that there is plenty of seating including some in side rooms, along with a pool table. I did not use the gym or the pool.

My room, a suite, was spacious, with a very large and comfortable bed. The bathroom has an adjoining dressing area. Shampoo and body wash is provided in a dispenser in the shower cubical. The room has an iron, ironing board and hair dryer along with plenty of wardrobe space.

My only problems with my room were that I could open the window and even when I turned the air conditioning off, it still made a noise. To my mind the air is artificial and the room smelt stale.

There was a lot of choice for breakfast and all of the food was of a good quality and well presented. I did not use the hotel's restaurant for dinner.

The hotel is a very short walk from the entrance to the east entrance of the ExCel and also Prince Regent DLR railway station.

We used the local pub, the Fox, for two of our dinners. It is a short walk from the Aloft and the restaurant had a good selection of pub food. They have several tv screens and showed live football matches.

Room Tip: My room was on the third floor, above the main entrance from ExCel. The smokers congregated by this...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
AloftLondonExcel, Manager at Aloft London Excel, responded to this review, April 4, 2014
Hi MissusB1965,

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review.
It's great to read that our team stayed polite and professional even though they were under a bit of pressure.
I am glad you enjoyed our spacious suite. As you mentioned, unfortunately the windows do not open in our hotel. I do apologize for the issues with your air conditioning, it seems we dropped the ball there and this should not have happened.
Next time you are with us, do give the Fede Restaurant a try for dinner - it's a great place for a nice meal!

Have an easy breezy weekend,
Nottingham, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

We have stayed at the Aloft several times. It is even better now that a full English breakfast is available. Just wish they had decaffeinated tea. We do not have this from choice, my husband is caffeine intolerant. Decaffeinated coffee is available, but sometimes only tea hits the spot. Even nearby shops don't stock it.

Room Tip: If you are allergic or have an intolerance to caffeine, take your own tea bags because no matter how...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
Liverpool
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

Stayed at Aloft weekend of 15th March to help our daughter move flats. Warm welcome from reception staff and information offered regarding facilities.

The hotel is very smart, contemporary design and very chic. The room had everything you could want - king size bed, comfortable pillows, complimentary water and great view.

We booked dinner in the restaurant with drinks in WXYZ bar before and after - food was really good and prices very reasonable for London. Staff throughout we're extremely courteous and helpful in providing a taxi for our daughter late evening - shall definitely return some time soon.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
AloftLondonExcel, Manager at Aloft London Excel, responded to this review, March 28, 2014
Hi GSJake,

A five out of five score, thank you so much!
We all know that moving time can be quite stressful so I am really happy to see the service of our team helped you relax whilst you were staying with us.
I passed on your compliments to the Fede Restaurant and W XYZ bar. They are both really cool places to have a sip or a bite and your daughter and yourself are always welcome for a return visit. We hope she'll settle in to her new space soon, but if she needs a night out she knows where to go!

With smiles from the Docklands,
Bournemouth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 21, 2014 via mobile

I have a love hate relationship with this hotel. Staying close to Canary Wharf, good price, stylish fittings, river front location, free shuttle and responsive young staff are a big plus about this hotel. However, a stay is never without negative aspects. It invariably takes too long to check in if you arrive in the evening. The rooms with adjoining doors are horrific for hearing everything that happens next door and this time I had next doors TV on at full blast at 4 am. To their credit, the overnight team came up and switched the TV off, only for the occupants to come back and switch the TV back on so no more sleep was allowed until the crew came back up to ask them to switch it off. Not happy. So I do like this hotel, I just wish it could be without things happening that drive you nuts.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Hi BournemouthCowboy,

Thank you for your review. We would definitely like to make sure we change you over to a convinced Aloft lover! Please accept my apologies for the issues you described. A good night's sleep is vital and it seems that because of these unpleasant circumstances, we were not able to offer you this during your last stay.

Next time you're coming to the hotel, please drop me a line before your arrival so we can pre-block a room for you that does not have a connecting door.

I look forward to hearing from you!

jill.vanrest@alofthotels.com
Stroud, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2014

We needed to be in London (Canary Wharf area) on a Sunday night and family were already booked into Aloft and raving about it. We checked the rates and were lucky to find the hotel running a deal for the room only at £71.

The hotel is impressive from the outside and well-designed inside, with a good bar and small takeaway café for those who don’t have time (or want) a large breakfast. Check in was dealt with swiftly and we were given a great room on the top floor with a view of the airport - ideal for plane spotters like me.

The rooms are a decent size, with plenty of space to move around in, a small sofa and two desks. There was no bath, just a walk in shower that was one of the best I have come across in any hotel. Also, top marks for the inclusion of a soap dish and numerous well-positioned plug sockets. However, there was no mirror in the bedroom and the pillows didn’t suit either my wife or me, but pillow preference is such a personal thing I appreciate it’s hard to keep everyone happy.

We had a drink in the bar before heading to bed and it had a good vibe. You wouldn’t have guessed it was a Sunday evening. The cocktail list is decent and there are a suitable number of lagers available, although no ale that I could see so I had to settle for a pint of Tetleys.

At check out we used one of the self-check in/out machines. We had a £1 charity donation added to our bill, which I don’t mind but there didn’t appear to be an option to remove it, nor any information about which charity would receive the donation, both things I would have expected to see. The machine would then not print our receipt, so a helpful member of staff had to go to the office and print us a copy. For these reasons, if there was no queue I would suggest checking out at the reception desk.

Although the location will not work for everyone, it is perfect if you are flying to or from London City Airport, or if you need access to Excel. The hotel is also connected to the DLR, so you can get into Zone 1 very easily if you want to.

I enjoyed our brief stay here and would happily stay again. Recommended.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
AloftLondonExcel, Manager at Aloft London Excel, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
Hi MrHandBaggageOnly!

Thank you for leaving a review, we really appreciate you taking the time to share your feedback. It's great to read you enjoyed our hotel so much. Our W XYZ bar is a very cool place to mix & mingle - no matter what day of the week. I think I remember a tweet detailing that our unique seasonal Tuk-Tuk-Tini cocktail was a favourite.

My apologies for the technical issues with the printer on the check-out kiosk. The £1 you mentioned is an optional donation to UNICEF. We have a long standing partnership with this organisation through our Check out for Children program. This initiative has helped us raise over US$30million so far for various projects that support children's rights. We are trying to find a solution to make it possible to opt-out of this donation through the kiosk as it is currently only possible to do so at the Front Desk.

Thanks again for leaving your comments here and do come back soon - our new seasonal cocktails kick in mid April and I promise you they'll be worth trying out!

Have an easy-breezy day,
Jill van Rest

Been to Aloft London Excel? Share your experiences!