“Refreshing hotel that is close to being great” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Aloft London Excel

You added Aloft London Excel to your Saves list
Aloft London Excel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 Eastern Gateway, London E16 1FR, England (Docklands / Canary Wharf / Isle of Dogs)   |
Ranked #236 of 1,049 Hotels in London
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Bath
“Refreshing hotel that is close to being great”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2012

I've stayed here for business for two trips over the course of a fortnight- and I was very impressed first time, much less the second.
The good:
- Modern, clean decor
- Trendy atmosphere- there's music around, and it just feels like a nice place to be
- Free, fast internet, either wifi or wired. The best I've seen in my London stays.
- Two free bottles of water
- Nice shower
- Amazingly comfortable beds
- Well equipped, spacious gym
- Nice swimming pool
- Nice desk space
- Good blinds that keep the room dark when needed

Room for improvement:
- Could do with deeper wardrobes to allow clothes to hang
- No information in rooms about what the hotel has to offer
- Food is only OK for the price, but the staff in the restaurant were at least helpful
- Coffee in rooms is in paper cups, with a really unweildy hanging packet to give filter coffee. It makes a mess and I for one would prefer a simpler solution
- A tiny bin in the bathroom- not enough for taking rubbish! They have a bigger bin but that only takes recyclables.

None of these issues are major- they are just areas that could do with improvement.

On my first trip, I thought this was the best hotel in the area- and I was all ready to give this a very high rating.

On my second trip I had some problems:
- The person in the room next door, one one side, kept trying to get into my room via the internal door. It was quite freaky, and he only stopped when I went to have a word with him.
- The person in the room on the other side was very shouty and seemed to be having a party
- Reception phoned me to ask if I'd ordered a takeaway
- When I'd gone to sleep, my room phone rang a few times again- but stopped before I could answer
- There was no hot water for a shower or wash in the morning- it was tepid at best
- The dispensers for shampoo and shower gel didn't work.

It was such a contrast between my very pleasurable first stay that I have averaged out to give this overall rating.

Room Tip: Ask for a king size- the twin rooms seem to be reserved for more annoying guests!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (264)
  • Greek first
ipswich
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

I have stayed in many a hotel in London and this is sure the best yet,
The self check in on touch screen computer needs a bit more tweaking as it didn't work, but went straight to reception to get sorted asap.
The young lass swiftly sorted us out and pointed everything that the hotel has to offer, swimming pool times, etc etc
Room was modern clean and to a very good standard.
Location is a bit out of the way, but not a problem if you know the DLR and tubes well.
Great stay and will certainly be back here soon .

Stayed October 2012
Pembroke, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

* Short walk from DLR (Prince Regent)
* We were going to an event at the O2 - easy to get there/away - approx 15 mins... Canning Town a bit confusing - get on the Jubilee Line there if you are going to the O2
* Good points: modern, clean, good sized rooms, comfortable bed, black out blinds, great wet room, decent size TV, fridge,no rip-off mini-bar
* Less good points: out of central London, travel by DLR from Tower Gateway approx 20 minutes or more depending on time of day, paper cups for the tea/coffee, diy coffee although tasting good was messy to make, no bath, self service check in/check out didn't work properly.

Overall a good deal for us as we booked through a 'secret' hotel deal with lastminute.com - £79 room only (not a problem for us as we don't usually rise for breakfast). If we had paid the standard rate then we would probably have felt that we were paying for the style of the hotel rather than service.....

England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

I booked this hotel as I was attending an exhibition at Excel. The hotel is part of the Excel site so was very convenient and it is just a few steps away from Prince Regent DLR stop. The hotel is modern and clean and was satisfactory for a one night business stay. I only ate breakfast in the restaurant, I thought it was mediocre and expensive for a self service meal. I would not choose this hotel for a leisure trip.

U.K.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

We went to Aloft as we were going to a meeting at the ExCel Centre. We got a great deal, cheaper than the Premier Inn indeed. We were greeted in a friendly manner. We were an hour early but as the lady at reception was talking to us a room became available on the system and she gave us this room. The room was clean and a study in space management and therefore seemed very spacious with all mod cons including free wifi which worked perfectly. We only stayed for two nights and so did not have our room made up and so availed of a £5 discount off a food bill at Fede, or loyalty points, or a donation to Unicef. Good system. The breakfast buffets were great, fresh and easy. We reserved a table in Fede for the Saturday night and were served promptly and with good humour and the food was lovely. They minded our bags without fuss or bother on the Sunday after we checked out. All in all, we were so impressed with this hotel, and it was right up there with the best we have stayed in at ten times the price all over the world and much friendlier to boot. It's proximity to the DLR (Prince Regent) and the ExCel centre couldn't be better and so the next time we have something to go to in the ExCel we will definitely be staying at the Aloft.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
newbury
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

A lovely hotel connected to the Xcel centre. Room was big, clean and nicely furnished with everything you would need.
My only gripe was the service in the restaurant. It was very poor, no one to greet and sit you, took over 40 mins for my order to be taken, and then about the same time for my food to be delivered. In fact it became embarassing when I went to ask the waitress how much longer my food would be but she thought I wanted to pay even though I hadn't eaten yet. Please improve you service it was such a let down for your lovely hotel

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Jersey, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

I thoroughly enjoyed my stay at the Aloft which was made even better by the excellent staff who were all very friendly and helpful (especially Francesco!).
I loved the modern decor of the rooms and the bar, the swimming pool was really cool too!
The only negative about the hotel is that it is slightly away from the centre of the city but the hotel is literally 1min away from the Prince Regent stop on the DLR line.
I'll be definitely be coming back here.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Aloft London Excel? Share your experiences!