“The worst 'hotel' I've ever stayed in” 1 of 5 stars

Sacred Heart Lodge
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   100 Hassett Rd | Hackney, London E9 5SJ, England   |
Ranked #984 of 1,066 Hotels in London
Sydney
“The worst 'hotel' I've ever stayed in”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2012

As a backpacker and solo traveller I have stayed in my fair share of dodgy places, but this takes the cake. The location is shocking, in a very poor area (even for Hackney/East London standards) and the hotel is surrounded by estate housing, and on top of that you can hear police sirens racing down Kenworthy Road every ten minutes. When I arrived I was told my room wasn't ready and was invited to relax in the communal living area while they got it ready. First impression wasn't too bad - a TV with cable, a kitchen that's well stocked, lounges that aren't uncomfortable - but my hopes were dashed when I saw a huge rat pop out of the corner next to the television and dash around the room. An hour later, I was told they only accepted payment upfront and cash only, so I had to find an ATM (eventually found one in a corner store, run by a disgusting and perverted old man. Welcome to the neighbourhood!). Then finally was allowed into my room. Talk about grim. The walls were flaking, the window wouldn't close properly, with only a dirty white sheet as bed linen. My linen was not changed ONCE my entire stay (5 nights). I got virtually no sleep my entire stay because i was too paranoid about bugs and vermin. I also did not shower my entire stay because the communal bathrooms were the most disgusting, unhygienic and sickening things I've ever seen. Black marks on the tub, disgusting yellow/brown liquid on the walls, it was enough to make me dry heave. I'm used to sharing bathrooms, I'm used to dirty cheap hotels, but I have never seen anything like this before in my life. They did not clean the bathrooms, ever. I asked one of the workers to please clean the shower, he said he would get on it, three minutes later he knocked on my door saying it was done. Now there is no way you could clean that dump up in less than three minutes, so I went to check and sure enough the yellow/brown liquidy stuff and black stains were still there. I figured it would be more hygienic to not shower at all than to step foot in there.

The worst place I have ever had the misfortune of staying in. I cannot think of any positives, except that the manager seemed friendly and the wifi is good. Avoid at all costs.

Stayed December 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2012

The Staff were Helpful,Kind and Polite.But the Bad Points were that I had nowhere to Hang my clothes ,nowhere to put wet items to dry,and a window that was open which i could not reach,so it made the room very cold at night and i had to put a coat on top of my bed to keep warm ,but i did have good nights sleeps. Final point i Have to make is that i had a Towel placed on my arrival for use in the shower, when i asked where i should leave the wet towel i was told leave ln your room which i did, it was STILL THERE when i left 5 Days later, NOT VERY HEALTHY I THTNK

Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Cazouls-les-Beziers, France
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 24, 2012

The hotel shown on the website is nowhere near what the reality is.
Got out of the station is the middle of an estate. Very uncomfortable and I have been backpacking for years so I am not easily uncomfortable.
The location is simply awful and the creepy building gives shivers on first approach. The entrance doesn't seem secure at all; not a great start. Then the room we were assigned with a shared bathroom were just awful. It felt dirty and totally outdated.
Not a romantic spot at all. We walked out.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2012

The Silk House is a tall, late eighteenth century building at the end of a street of little terrace houses. It's quite a distance from Hackney Central, but very well placed for Homerton overland rail station - just two minutes walk, and that will take you into central London.

The bad points first: The decor is desperately in need of work. It's a listed building, and apparently it's difficultt o get permission to do anything with it - but think flaking woodchip walls, dreadful thin velvet-like flock carpets and very tatty fixtures.

Some of the walls seem to be paper thin. You can hear noise through many of them, and the place seems absurdly hot as you mount the stairs.

ok so that all sounds awful.

However, I had two really good nights sleep. the building itself was an extremely elegant one in its dday, and the original georgian spiral stair case and some original features remain.

My room was on the top floor (there is a lift) and was large if sparcely furnished. My bed, however, was comfortable, spotlessly clean and had a good, thick duvet.

Bathrooms are shared, and somewhat remeniscent of 60s boarding houses, but there is at least a proper bath and the room was of excellent proportions.

The service manager at reception (which is open 24 hours) is extremely friendly. He knows the limitation of the place, but it was only around £35 a night and in london, that's extremely good value.

Also, there is free wi fi.

To conclude. If you're not bothered about luxury, and you don't mind the smell of cooking which inexplicably (as no one is cooking here) pervades the staircase as you mount, this is quite a find for its convenience and space.

If they ever do it up properly, it would be really good, but then it would probably go up in price too.

Room Tip: I was in room 404 on the top floor, and had no problems there.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Dublin
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2012

I chose this 'B&B' as it was convenient to a social event I was attending. I had booked in to a place called 'The Silkhouse' yet this name was nowhere to be found. The building is dingy and tired. Staff were welcoming but old fashioned key to door which you have to use to lock yourself in to the room was a bad start... things got worse... no curtains on windows in room and the bed and linen appeared 'faded' (I am being generous. T.V. not working and no bedside light... just rather dirty overhead light. Showerroom was recently and very badly painted (Masking tape still in evidence) The shower didi not fit into the brachet and more worrying the extractor fan did not work, (I heard someone spray air freshener right outside bedroom door) All in all a dreadful place and not worth 50 pounds sterling - more a third rate hostel - avoid at all costs!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2012

This place is, quite simply, a dive. Now, I know it's cheap, and that's why I choose it. However, even when accommodation is cheap you expect a certain bare minimum standard. Here's a run down of my stay.

Arrived in the reception area, which looked a bit run down and poorly kept, but, as I say, I was looking for somewhere cheap so this didn't bother me in the slightest. I was checked in by what I assume was a night porter, who was reasonably pleasant, and shown to my room.

The room was horrible. For a start, the curtain rail was only attached to the wall on one side and so hung parallel to the window, with the curtains therefore, covering none of it. The view, however, was out over hackney and I was confident that no-one could see in, so I got over that quickly. Moreover, it was late at night and I was due to leave early the next morning so I didn't let it bother me. What really DID get to me happened next.

I pulled back the quilt on the bed to find a filthy sheet. It was COVERED in these black marks. The bed looked like it had been slept in by a mechanic dressed in his work clothes! Disgusting.

So I went downstairs and told the night porter this and he asked me to go wait in the room and someone would be up. About ten minutes or so later some guy in a tracksuit bottoms, t-shirt and flip-flops arrived up and asked me what the problem was. I invited him in, pulled back the quilts on both beds in the room and politely informed him that there was no way I could be expected to sleep in either bed. He grunted something incomprehensible and gestured that I should follow him, which I did.

A few seconds later I was in another room (this time the curtains hung down in front of the window rather than beside it...they just didn't close fully), with sheets that weren't great either but would do.

Then came the highlight of the stay! Rather than offer an apology or show a bit of humility, before leaving the room the guy turns and says, "you know, the dirty sheets aren't our fault, that's how the launderette sends them to us". By this stage, I was more than annoyed and so rather than engage him in an argument I just asked him to leave.

The next morning, the place didn't get any better. I knew the rooms weren't en-suite, but this didn't bother me. I have no problem sharing a bathroom in a cheap hotel. However, the 'shower' in that bathroom was a hose out of the bath taps. The bath itself was on a bit of a raised platform meaning that you had to step up to get into it. This would have been fine if it wasn't for the fact the bathroom wall stopped a foot below the ceiling with the space between being filled by clear glass!!! I was showering away while looking out onto the corridor outside! OK, while I didn't have much to hide I can't imagine how females showered without feeling like one of those women in the notorious windows of Amsterdam.

Seriously, avoid this place like one would Arthur Road Jail!!

Room Tip: Want a good room? Stay somewhere else.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Bath, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2011

About 400m from the nearest tube down a long terraced road, this hotel is more of a hostel for migrant workers and travelling students. Facilities are shared and my room had a window with bars and the window itself was held shut with a brick. Noise between rooms travelled easily and the whole place is generally run down. Would be a good business venture to do it up for the Olympics!

Room Tip: Not first floor anway.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business

Been to Sacred Heart Lodge? Share your experiences!