“Comfortable Luxury in London” 4 of 5 stars

The Montcalm at the Brewery London City
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   52 Chiswell Street, London EC1Y 4SA, England   |
Ranked #45 of 1,066 Hotels in London
Cork, Ireland
“Comfortable Luxury in London”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed yesterday NEW

Vert attentive staff. We even got a birthday cake delivered to our room for wife, compliments o the hotel. A very nice touch. Comfortable, well organised room. Great location, within walking distance of Central London and West End. Well located for public transport. Nice pubs and restaurants beside the hotel . We'll be back

Stayed December 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
  • Turkish first
Liverpool
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

This is an excellent boutique hotel adjacent to the Barbican in London. It is part of a converted Whitbread brewery which makes it quirky and interesting. The walk from reception to our room was a bit of a hike and involved a few up and downs but, on the advice of the staff, we used another elevator which allowed us to enter and exit via the “Jugged Hare” pub which felt pretty unique and special. The history of the brewery was clear from our bedroom windows which overlooked a courtyard where you could really imagine horse drawn carts pulling up to load up with barrels of beer. The room was well appointed, clean and modern and the staff were friendly and accommodating especially Donatella on the front desk.
The only downside was the breakfast. We had room service twice and on the first day we didn’t receive exactly what we had ordered. Our tray charge was refunded without question which was a great response, but there is no substitute for getting thing right first time, every time.
I would definitely stay at this hotel again and would recommend it to anyone wishing to spend a great weekend in London slightly away from the madding crowds.

Reading, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

I can remember this when it was a brewery so was pleased to see this building being reused in this way with some original features being retained. Room and facilities were more than adequate for a one night stay with a safe big enough to take iPad / laptop on charge. The hotel provided two mental exercises for guests - one was finding your room unaided (they give you a map should you get lost) and the other was finding all the light switches in your room. There seemed to be a lot of them to work your way through. Breakfast was more than adequate with plenty of staff willing to help out (even wanted to do my toast for me).

• Stayed December 2014, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 3 days ago NEW

To me, this is a nice hotel, with good rooms, and a load of very attentive people at the front desk. I counted 6 on arrival, and at least 5 when we left the following day.

For the money you pay however, you get a room, with a bed, a TV, a bathroom etc. Not much different from any other hotel. Granted they are all very very nice, but how good / different can they be.

The reality is, you don't get parking - £32 a night at Barbican.
You don't get Breakfast - £30 approx for 2 (we had a Pret on the way home)
You don't have a view (unless you count a brick wall outside our room!)

I also find it annoying that on arriving home, there is champagne on ice to tempt us. It's not the end of the world, I know, but there is no note to say it is complimentary, or if it is chargeable.

I have to say, I wish my wife had booked a travelodge / premier Inn a lot sooner, as this hotel is not value for money.

Holyhead, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

Just to start I want to say something about the pre-arrival service. Initially, I thought I would have a problem being able to make my stay at The Montcalm and emailed them to ask them if they could change the room type in case my husband wanted to take a friend instead. The were extremely courteous and said that would be absolutely no problem. In the event, I was able to make it after all.

The front of house service is very good from the moment you step through the door. We were shown to our room by a courteous member of staff. The room was a club room (which I had booked) and was luxurious. There was everything you could want in the room. The mini bar was stocked when we were in there but that was not a facility we wanted to use.

The club room includes access to a lounge with drinks/snacks. The only thing I would say is it is not really that obvious when you walk into the lounge that you then need to go into the bar area (beyond) to get your drinks. I would have felt more comfortable to have that explained as I did not know what the set up was and you can't see the bar area from the lounge. I guess I thought that drinks and snacks would be available 24 hours but I think the lounge is available 24 hours but not the drinks. There were no snacks available when we went in there at about 10pm on Saturday night anyway. The lounge is also where the continental breakfast is served which is inclusive if you book a club room.

A slight niggle (having paid for a club room) is that there are only specific newspapers that are complimentary and I was told that my choice was at an extra cost. A bit penny pinching I thought!

It being the last Saturday before Christmas, the Jugged Hare pub was too busy, so we opted for a room service meal which was very good.

The location of the hotel is a 2 minute walk from the Barbican and the venue car park is the nearest and is not over priced for London.

Over all I would say a very enjoyable stay, just need to think about information for guests who are staying for the first time. I would definitely choose this hotel again if staying in London.

Room Tip: Book a club room.
Zurich
3 of 5 stars Reviewed 4 days ago NEW

For those visiting the ‘City’ there are a limited but growing number of hotels. Readers will know that I prefer Mayfair and Knightsbridge and sadly this hotel has not changed my mind.

The positives, at the reception, concierge, housekeeping, club room the team are warm, friendly and very well trained, worthy of the better 5 star hotels so my compliments to the management and training.

The hotel is a curious rabbit warren of a hotel designed at many levels with buildings, guests are even given a map to find their way around but even so there were no shortage of guest lost on each floor.

The two dining areas, a pub and a restaurant are at each end of the hotel. Both are easier to reach by leaving the hotel walking along the pavement in rain or sunshine than facing the maze of the hotel labyrinth.

I reserved a Club Room which provided access to a Club Lounge. As Club / Executive lounges go this would rate in the bottom 10%, dark, unfriendly, cheap in nature and on two occasions full. I struggle to see the value.

The hotel is a dark in most rooms, corridors or public areas and the marketing photographs are very generous. I had room 203, having requested a quiet room. Positively it was not on Chiswell Street but a corner road but sadly it had an adjoining room, not ideal for a good night’s sleep.

Many of the rooms have long Victorian windows but this room had a prison / small window which should have been a bonus for sound resistance but sadly it was broken and not perfectly sealed. The window itself was the most marked/ scratched/ tainted I have seen in my life.

I could suggest other ‘large’ window rooms but it is clear that due to planning permission all windows have seem to have poor sound proofing.

The room is dark with poor lighting but good WIFI IT toys but considering the price, shoe box proportions. The bathroom has a Yotel, compact feel and despite being only on the second floor, a dismal shower pressure.

I skipped breakfast in the Club Lounge as it was full and the selection not terribly appetising. Instead the Plan B option if selected was breakfast in the hotel owned pub. Although the food quality was not always excellent, the management and team were. Also the chef on the cooking station was warm and friendly and my compliments to him.

Upon checkout, I was asked about my stay and commented upon the noise and was offered my water complimentary. A nice touch which I declined as I had purchase ear plugs to address the issue.

I was asked if another room was offered and it had been but with no material difference.
In short a superb team, management and service tarnished by a tired, dark, cold property. For the staff, I would return tomorrow but I fear if this property represents the group, I will not join their loyalty programme.

Room Tip: Ask for a side street room on a high floor
  • Stayed November 2014, traveled on business
East Anglia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed 5 days ago NEW via mobile

My boyfriend and I have just returned from another lovely stay at the Montcalm. The visit to London was to celebrate my boyfriends 30th birthday and having already stayed at the Montcalm brewery I knew we wouldn't be disappointed . When we arrived the once again very polite reception staff gave us a free upgrade to a suite and wished my boyfriend a very happy birthday. We were then shown to our room and what a room. It was the barbican duplex suite which was lovely.. Similar decor to the previous room we stayed in but queen size bed, two bathrooms with waterfall shower and sound system in one. The glass between bathroom and adjacent room meant I was able to watch tv whilst in bath (nice touch)! My boyfriend was sent a birthday card and complimentary bottle of wine again a nice touch. Overall Another very relaxing two night stay in a hotel that has a real nice atmosphere.

• Stayed December 2014
StevenSands, Manager at The Montcalm at the Brewery London City, responded to this review, yesterday
Dear Guest

Thank you for the writing a review in regards to your recent stay at The Montcalm at The Brewery London City.

We really appreciate your kind words regarding the customer service experience that you had during your stay with us.

We always intend to deliver service excellence which is second to none and hope that you will visit us more often in the future and enjoy the best of the services we have to offer.

Looking forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the nearest future.

Kind Regards
Guest Relation Team

Been to The Montcalm at the Brewery London City? Share your experiences!