“Lovely” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grange Tower Bridge Hotel

You added Grange Tower Bridge Hotel to your Saves list
Grange Tower Bridge Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   45 Prescot Street, London E1 8GP, England (Whitechapel)   |
Ranked #191 of 1,049 Hotels in London
Certificate of Excellence 2014
derby
“Lovely”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2014

Stayed one night. Was welcomed and my suitcases seen to. Got last minute deal - the price was around £100 which included the spa. I had come to use the health spa itself, which was free with a room. I was pleased to find there was a cheeky Xmas deal on treatments ... Facial and massage for £60. And It was AMAZING! I loved the treatments. The service was great & I'd love to go again!! The only person who madsages better is my sister and my mum!

The bars were nice, and the ppl were friendly. My only disappointment was the room - it was in first floor over the subway and I felt I needed the blinds shut at all times as people could see into my room. I had a long relaxing bath with the free toiletries which were amazing and was left to unwind with the blinds down which wasn't so bad.

• Stayed December 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (565)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
Bristol, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2014

I use the Grange Hotel range quite a lot - the sister hotel to this, based in St. Paul's has offered a consistently excellent standard of service over the past "x" times I've stayed there. Finding it necessary to be closer to the Tower of London, this time around, I chose The Grange Tower Bridge Hotel,

Arriving late, I telephoned ahead to ask for advice on car parking, and found myself directed to a very convenient car park around 100 metres walk from the hotel. This was not only convenient, but turned out to be a real bargain, at £2 for the overnight ticket - I honestly think this was an error, so please don't assume it's that cheap ordinarily, if you happen to be reading!

As with the rest of the Grange Hotels I've stayed at, the decor is a mixture of light, bright and contemporary, with rooms that use chrome, hardwood furnishings and earthy tones. It's a nice contrast.

On arrival, my booking couldn't immediately be located - so had to wait for the confusion between my forename and surname to be cleared up. Directed to room 420, I found myself in a large room with two double-beds. Though somewhat unexpected, and thinking it rather surplus to requirements, I made a quick survey of the room before settling down to a night in it.

I enjoyed a bath, though was disappointed to see some of the bath control fixtures were missing - indeed, it was impossible to switch the water control from the bath tap to the bath-mounted-shower-head, since the fitting had been removed to leave an exposed thread. This wasn't too much of an issue - and I used the shower, instead. Still, it's a little dulling of the polish.

As with other reviewers of this hotel, I found the room service to be at best disappointing, at worst, awful. Ordering a very late night meal, I called at 2.30am - though this should offer no troubles for a 24-hour service. To my disappointment, several of the items I asked for were unavailable. Finally, after moving from one to another, and finally coming across something that sounded appetising and available, I selected one club sandwich (~£8) one steak baguette (~£12), one fruit salad (~£6) and one pitta bread (~£5), I waited around 20 minutes for the food to arrive. The chap arrived, brought in trays, and left after I'd signed the bill, which included a £4 room service charge, as though the mark-up on in-room-food in hotels, just wasn't enough.

What presented itself, put simply was a collection of items which were not as described on the menu. Both the club sandwich and steak baguette should have been accompanied by "homecooked chips". Instead, they appeared to be the thin type of fries that you get at any McDonald's. The pitta bread, although bearing evidence of char-grilling, was absolutely stone cold. The fruit salad, a combination of red grapes, green grapes and chunks of pineapple that had been thrown into a bowl with little or no preparation - was certainly not worth the price paid.

And so, I ate my fill of what was palatable, and left the rest, untouched. I enjoyed a good night's sleep for the most part. Like every other guest, I assume - I was awoken twice by fire alarms on Sunday morning - one being prolonged and telling all occupants to immediately evacuate the building. Going so far as quickly getting dressed, I rushed into the corridor, and found myself quite alone. Telephoning the front desk, I was then curtly informed by an ignorant lady that "This is for staff only." How nice of them to inform us paying customers, in advance!

And so the experience which has come to colour my opinion of this hotel came at check out, at midday, owing to the extension requested and granted (11.00am is very early if you don't arrive until past 10.00pm the previous evening and go through a one-man-impromptu fire-alarm-drill), I was asked by a friendly, open-faced lady if anything was wrong with my stay, and like an idiot, I told her the truth. Instantly, the lady was replaced by her evil twin. I mentioned for example, that I found some of the room-service items to be, frankly, inedible, and so they were untouched in room 420, and I'd be grateful if they could be removed from the room service bill. As though stating some all-defeating statement of incredible revelatory merit, she half-asked, half-stated, "You signed the bill?". Once I had explained that I usually sign the bill first, and eat later (rather than have the room service chap stand there whilst I sample each dish and check that everything is edible) she asked whether I had asked for replacement items from the kitchen - the same kitchen from which so much was not available. Explaining again, that it was a very later meal and that replacements weren't practical, she appeared to have exhausted all avenues - but certainly didn't want to give my money back, which she said would require the authorisation of her manager, as though this was something rarely done and that this faceless supervisor was floating somewhere in the ether, rather than in the office behind the front desk. Irritated now, I simply said "Fine. Forget it."

What I should have said - and indeed, what I'm saying now, is that I was a paying customer of this hotel, who found something to be amiss, and frankly, not to his or anyone with functioning tastebuds', taste. Rather than make a song-and-dance of the damned thing, I would have appreciated, as a gesture, an apology and a refund of the said items, with no fuss. As things stand, I feel I paid £35 for two sandwiches, which is a little steep by anyone's wallet - and indeed, not even sandwiches which came as advertised. I could have left this hotel thinking that they cared about customer service. Instead, I left determined to not stay here again.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

Stayed here for one night, purchased as a deal. The hotel itself is very well done, very contemporary and clean, the staff were a little bit disorganized and took ages to even check in, it could of just been a bad night, who knows?

Ordered room service which wasn't great, in fact it tasted like bad microwave food but with a much more expensive price tag, leave it alone! Apart from these things it is a good hotel in a good location, probably a bit too expensive for what you get, but hey, welcome to London!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

A pleasant smart large modern London Hotel. Nothing outstanding to make it 5 stars.

Unfortunately we [i.e me] booked it in error for the City Grange. I didn't know this one existed and wrongly assumed it was the one between Fenchurch Street And Tower Hill Stations. The GrangeTower is five or ten minutes from the station which is not so good in the wind and the rain.

We changed our room from a boring view to a higher floor with a slightly less boring view. The room was quite pleasant with a smart styling but looking out over office blocks and scruffy housing does not sing 5 star.

The bathroom probably delighted the stylist but the shower cubicle was quite small and had curved doors which would not stay completely closed and one could not help but knock them ajar. The shower unit had a fixed overhead, plus a wander lead and additionally two fixed chest level jets. Unfortunately this unit was positioned directly opposite the opening door and it takes little imagination to guess how much water spews out onto the bathroom floor.

We generally used two extra bathtowels a day to mop up the flood.

The breakfast was very expensive and not included in our [relatively] bargain room rate, so we looked elsewhere. There is the restaurant adjacent to All Hallows which is good and cheap. The Premier Inn opposite could have been good value at least, but ran out of everything, had huge queues and if you wanted a full English it would take three or four trips over a 20 minute period to get the individual items. They couldnt cope with the concept of cooking things at the same time! Not recommended unless they sort out their act!

Room Tip: Unlikely to get a view, but ask as some are worse than others. Possibly higher rooms stand a better...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
england
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014 via mobile

We normally stay at Grange St Paul's but this was a little more convenient this time. Room pretty much identical. Spotless, modern, appreciate the turndown service BUT the bottom sheet is simply too small for the bed.
It won't tuck in and therefore is crumpled up all the time.
Duvet is pretty unremarkable too. But bathroom is fabulous.
Will certainly use Grange again, but probably we prefer St Paul's.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Prague, Czech Republic
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2014

Comfortable rooms, nice view over the City, very good breakfast, great leisure facilities. I stayed for 4 nights on business and have to say this is also a good hotel for leisure - very close to Aldgate East station and only short ride to all main attractions. I am staying here again next week and can´t wait !

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Solihull, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2014

I stayed here with my family and friends on the weekend of the 11th of January. We were early to check in but the receptionist said 2 of our rooms out of the 3 were ready, so we were able to get changed before our Afternoon Tea at the Langham Hotel. We asked if the 3 rooms could be together / next to each other as 2 of the twins were but the double was on the other side of the building. Her reply was simply 'no'. She showed no effort to try and make this happen for us. Her attitude was disgusting. She didn't explain anything sufficiently and we were happy to walk away.

When we went to rooms we were allocated, which were apparently ready for us to use, to find the maid still in there and the room a tip.

We didn't spend much time in the hotel throughout the day as we had a lot planned.

The rooms are very modern and beautifully decorated. I cannot fault them at all. The interior of the hotel is also immaculate and very bright and stylish.

On the evening we came back to have a snack in the bar. We order a Croque-monsieur(which was on the menu), to be delivered a club sandwich. It then took an hour for them to produce the right food we had ordered. The waiter in the bar area was not very friendly or helpful at all.

We were thankful that we only paid £100 for the night for this hotel, as yes the interior and exterior are beautiful but the staff that we dealt with defiantly let the hotel down. Such a shame.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

Been to Grange Tower Bridge Hotel? Share your experiences!