“Great place to eat” 4 of 5 stars

+44 20 8619 1300
Website
Improve this listing
Reserve with OpenTable
The Fox and Grapes is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #6,704 of 18,011 Restaurants in London
Cuisines: French, British, Bar, Gastropub
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: The newly refurbished Fox and Grapes has the intimacy and feel of a local country village pub. Situated in the heart of the Common, it has the advantage of being on the doorstep of London, yet the tranquility of Wimbledon Village. The Fox and Grapes re-opened in 2011 with Claude Bosi, head chef of the two Michelin starred Hibiscus in Mayfair, and his brother Cedric at the helm. They built up the pub's reputation rapidly, and established the Fox & Grapes as one of Wimbledon's Hidden Gem's. Now Managed by Joe Hendriks & Head Chef Andrew Jones, both Norfolk boys have continued to strive for excellence in both food and service, while maintaining a relaxed pub character. As for the food, the Fox & Grapes sources as much seasonal and local produce as possible, with simple, well executed cooking. The menu features refined dishes with classic flavour combinations, as well as traditional pub favourites. Open for drinks throughout the day, the Fox and Grapes stocks a wide selection of Craft Beers, Ales & Largers. They can also boast an impressive wine selection, solely being supplied by Berry Brothers & Rudd. The Fox & Grapes is also host to three en-suite Double Bedrooms. With the perfect location, and steeped in character, you can enjoy everything this pub has to offer.
UK
“Great place to eat”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

I found this place very pleasant. Would have given it 5 stars but they allow dogs inside the dining area.

Good Points:
- Excellent and polite staff. Especially this waitress who sounded French and had a strong voice was extremely courteous and cheerful.
- Food was cooked very well. Portions were just about right.
- Location is in the posh area of Wimbledon.
- Decor looks very rustic but clean.
- Very spacious.

Bad Points:
- Allows dogs inside the dining area.
- A bit of a walk to public transport.
- Doesn't provide halal options
- Phone reception inside is poor

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

“Service needs improving”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2013

Went for Sunday lunch last weekend. We were all looking forward to the experience and anticipating a great meal. The restaurant was full and I imagine that is the case most Sunday lunch times but they don't seem to have worked out how to cope with a full restaurant.
It didn't take long for our enthusiasm to wane. Our waitress was very surly, slow and clearly uninterested in providing any kind of client service. We were starving by the time our dishes started to arrive but unfortunately they couldn't bring them together. That was frustrating. Our mains were good but the chocolate waffle dessert didn't really work.
From the reviews it seems like some people have a good experience and some don't. Surely, one of the goals for a successful business is consistency, not just with the food but also with the service. The service needs some attention. I hope they can improve it.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Great pub”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013 via mobile

Been to the fox and grapes for the first time after 2 years its as been open, what a surprise, pub look beautiful staff very friendly
And the food was a very pleasant for what you can find in that area.
The pub was really busy when we got there and yet the staff was looking after us soon as we pass the door, they manage to find us a table but we had to wait about 30 minutes for a table to come free, but we had a drink at the bar and they even send us some olives and pork scratching the time we where waiting.
I will definitely go back to the fox and grapes when next back in Wimbledon.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
simonhutch
“Great place for a Sunday roast (and you don't need to wear Barbour)”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

Popped in here last Sunday for lunch. Hadn't been for a few years and first impressions were good. Bosi has smartened up the interior and the staff were ready to help as soon as we walked in even though the place was full (the usual Wimbledon set of Barbour and Hunter despite them living IN ZONE 3, obviously). The high level of service continued throughout the meal, there was one waitress who was particularly brilliant. I didn't get her name but if I opened a restaurant I'd want her to work with me!

We were impressed by the menu, a good mix of invention and staples. The wine list also had some great choices. The food was all fantastic, really good starters and roasts. I saw some other reviews have complained about meat being cold but for beef that’s exactly how it should be. Deserts not quite so good particularly as there was a half hour gap caused by one of the desserts being dropped in the kitchen - at least they made it from scratch again.

Overall, this place is not cheap but we enjoyed our afternoon and the team did everything they could to make it a good few hours before we headed home to without the need to adopt county attire.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“3rd time not the charm...neither were 1st and 2nd”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2013

I don't know why I persist on going to this place. I haven't had much success with what I've ordered before, but keep returning. With it being the winter season (I went in the spring and summer on the last 2 occasions), I thought I'd give it another chance, seeing as they update their menu based on seasons...winter may be a good season for them...

Ordered the game terrine with pear chutney and toasted brioche. The terrine was bland. Also, the ratio between the terrine and the condiments is not proportionate: not enough brioche and chutney for the amount of terrine you receive. Had a scotch egg too. They use wild boar for this. A bit too dry, but the egg was runny.

For my mains, I ordered the monkfish with a pumpkin risotto. Again, it was slightly under-seasoned. Also, the monkfish was overcooked.

I think I'll give Fox and Grapes a miss from now on. One of the reasons I've been there as many times as I have is due to the fact that there aren't a lot of good eateries in the general Wimbledon area. Maybe it's time to stop eating in Wimbledon...

• 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere