“Good, although didnt live up to the hype” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #68 of 1,197 Nightlife in London
Type: Bar/ Clubs, Bars
More attraction details
Owner description: Once the West End's most salubrious cottage, supposedly the haunt of Wilde, Orton, Gielgud & Crisp, CellarDoor is now London's cult cabaret bar, secreted beneath the Aldwych in a space just big enough for cats (both feline and human) to swing. We're open until 1AM seven nights a week with free acts from 9PM each evening including drag queens, femme fatales, magicians, crooners, burlesque beauties & more.
Fife
8 attraction reviews
“Good, although didnt live up to the hype”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2014

We arrived just before 8pm as we had paid for guaranteed entry, however this wasnt necessary as it wasnt particularly busy. It went in waves as Hen parties arrived/left.
Staff were lovely, cocktails were good and plenty of free popcorn.
The drag-act DJ was fun (although should probably save up for a better quality wig) but he/she had a great sense of humour. However the music wasnt great (very club beat) and worked much better when playing Madonna etc as it got people going.
Stayed for the first Burlesque act which was good but incredibly short.
It was good, but didnt seem to be as great as everyone else is raving about. Would I go back - probably not but perhaps quite our taste (prefer more cheese!). Sorry.....

Visited June 2014

Dover, United Kingdom
8 attraction reviews
“Excellent!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2014

Spent two nights here and loved it! Lovely venue, very small so much better for couples or small groups. It is also very discrete so it's nice and private. Staff were amazing. Drinks were priced well and the cocktails were to die for! The acts were brilliant!! I am a massive fan of burlesque and loved it! It is free entry so the acts are free!! We have become members we loved it so much so we will defiantly be coming back again!!

Bromley, United Kingdom
“Where did the magician go?”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2014 via mobile

We went especially to see the magic show. The bar itself is great and has a great atmosphere with nice people. However the magician never showed up! I asked the waitress and she wasn't apologetic or helpful. The bar man had no idea either. None of the staff seemed to care or know how to deal with my questions. I won't be going back.

MelmothLondon, Owner at CellarDoor, responded to this review, May 31, 2014
I am sorry as this was my fault. Dr Jon has not had a holiday in 2 years and told me he was away last Sunday. I did tentatively arrange to have our tarot reader (who will be working with Dr Jon every Sunday from September) stand in but forgot to confirm the booking. Thus your disappointment was down to me and the bar staff were in the dark. I'm really sorry, but also concerned that the bar staff did not seem concerned. I will talk to them about that but if you'd like to contact me I'll arrange for you to have a complimentary couple of cocktails on your next visit.
Stirling, United Kingdom
50 attraction reviews
“Cosy, vibrant bar with free popcorn”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

We came especially as we'd read good reviews about the place. It's situated on the site of old toilets and is access down a small set of stairs - address being 0 Aldwych.
An extensive menu of cocktails about a tenner each (non alcoholic) a fiver each. Service charge included.
A huge choice of drinks, I don't know how they fit them all into the bar there is so many. A small establishment with some tables and stools at the bar. Free popcorn for all patrons, which is good for me, I could eat salty popcorn all day and night!
They have drag acts on although we were too early to see any entertainment (9pm), I would love to have gone back but just didn't have the time on this visit to London.
They also do cinema showings which I think is rather cool.
It's a nice, vibrant, cool looking bar with friendly staff and a good range of drinks.
You need to try the toilets out, the door is clear until you lock it then it turns frosty!
Check this place out! :-)

London, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
“Unique and Brilliant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2014

Just so unique. Nowhere like it. Full of history.
Great cocktails and always top fun cabaret / Burlesque.