“The worst hotel I've ever stayed in” 1 of 5 stars
Review of National Hotel

You added National Hotel to your Saves list
National Hotel
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   17-19 Queens Avenue | Muswell Hill, London N10 3PE, England   |
Ranked #935 of 1,049 Hotels in London
Wurzburg, Germany
“The worst hotel I've ever stayed in”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

I stayed here with my parents. In my room on the carpet there were crumbs, mass of long hair and flakes of skin from previous residents. There were hairs in the bed in and in the bathroom (not mine!) . The toilet seat was broken and the cracked window in the bathroom taped up with masking tape. There was a thick layer (4mm) of dust on top of the furniture.

My parents room was in a similar state. The furniture was worn out and looked like it was from a house clearance or junk yard. The room was also filthy

All other hotels in the area were booked, else I would not have stayed here.

When I confronted the staff they were indifferent and told me that they only worked there part time and would inform the manager. We didn't stop for breakfast - I hate to think what state the kitchen was in based on my experience of the rooms.

• Stayed September 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

Firstly, even though I booked two rooms for this hotel months in advance, they messed up my booking. I booked two rooms with showers. But only one of the rooms had a shower and we were given a £5 refund! The man on reception did not even apologise, in fact he was very rude!

The rooms were a disgrace. Very dirty! The room I stayed in had dirt on the floor, and bits of food on the floor. The bedside table was thick with dirt. I had no blinds or curtains in my room and it was very noisy as there was a water system in the cupboard so I could constantly hear running water. The beds were not comfortable. And I had to use a shared toilet which was also very dirty on the floors.

My friend stayed in the room with the shower. The shower was either really hot or freezing cold.

Next, we had breakfast. I think the breakfast was the only good thing about this hotel. Although, we was not actually told about the routine for breakfast and what was included etc. It was very unorganised. But after waiting around for a while we eventually got served two English breakfasts. The food wasn't too bad. Sausage, egg, bacon and baked beans. They also had some cereal on the table.

We got chatting to other people staying in the hotel, they told us about a dead dog they had seen outside their window which was there for two days!

I do not recommend this hotel at all. I will never stay here again. Worst hotel I have ever visited. Luckily we was only here for one night.

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel altogether
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
Peterborough, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2013

This hotel was very basic, but clean , quiet and in a very good location , especially for our needs on this occasion. I think that two nights here would be enough though. Also be warned that whatever you order for breakfast, you will get plain omlette and bacon x2 , really!!

Room Tip: Room at the back is best
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Brighton, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

This place was a bit of a dive.

First problem was when I booked online on their website, the check out time was stated to be 12pm - but when we arrived we were told we had to get out by 10.30. On the plus side after showing my booking reservation to the man on reception, he said it was okay - but we had to tell them in the morning. Bit miffed as to why he couldn't take note of it now - the point of a late check out was because I would be getting in late after a concert and didnt WANT to have to get up to let them know my check out was 12.

We were told breakfast was at 9am and pointed towards a door, but weren't told what it actually was, or if there was a cost or not - so we didn't even bother.

Anyway, onto the room - the hallways look old and unclean and smelled a bit, and the room wasn't much better. The temperature outside was almost 20 degrees, yet the heating was on full blast so the room was a bit like a sauna. The windows were unreachable, so my partner had to give me a leg up so that I could open the window and enable us to breathe!!!

The bedding looked clean, but something that annoyed me was the website stated that tea and coffee making facilities were in each room - they weren't - we actually had to ask at reception for these - along with the hairdryer that was promised.

The hotel website also boasts free wifi - but unfortunately it was out of range for our room. Not something that bothered us toom much, but had we picked the hotel and were needing to work or whatever, this would have been a problem.

We were also woken up really early (before 8am) by the hotel workers shouting to each other really loudly - I think our room may have been over the kitchen or something.

So all in all - bit of a rubbish stay! Wouldn't like to go back - thankfully we spent as little time as possible in the hotel itself as we were there for a concert at Alexandra Palace - the one thing the hotel does have going for it is that its about a 10 minute walk from the venue!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

I stayed over the Easter bank holiday weekend. Upon arrival there was confusion as to my booking, so the manager decided to upgrade me to a better room.

The beds were clean and the room was facing the back car park, so away from the roadside noise.

We were only here to sleep as we spent most of the day out with family who live close by. The rooms had kettles, but we had to request for the hair dryer. Breakfast was a choice if cereal or full English.

We stayed for the whole bank holiday weekend, and I can't really complain . Staff were helpful and polite...

I will say that the car park may be get full as its on a first come basis, but next time we return we won't be needing it as he hotel is in a very buzzy fun area, with tube, bars, restaurants, shops and a cinema all walking distance...

• Stayed April 2013
Swanage, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

This is not a Hotel...this is B&B...old furniture,old baths and horrible smell...never ever stay again on this place.only main hall is nice and nice smell...moreover you could't choose breakfast by yourself...

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Been to National Hotel? Share your experiences!